Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The irony of course is that when they met head on last year - both running at the ball from opposite directions - it was Worpel who showed courage and kept his head down bracing for a collision, got the ball and took the glancing blow as he spun out of the collision and handballed off for a goal.

Selwood took eye off the ball and went for Worpel's head.

Whose teammates were impressed by that incident?
Could turn out to be a huge turning point in each of their footy careers in retrospect. Worpel announcing himself on the competition and for Selwood perhaps an early indicator that his own playing career is entering the final chapters.

Geez i would hate for u guys to have been around when hodge was training. He would hardly raise a sweat. Wingard is fine he will be raring to go round 1
Swanny went ok over at the Pies for someone who thought training should be optional :)

There is a standard you need to achieve from a fitness perspective etc, some guys will do that, some will do more, as long as they are doing what they need and impacting on game day I'm not too fussed either

Geez i would hate for u guys to have been around when hodge was training. He would hardly raise a sweat. Wingard is fine he will be raring to go round 1
A family member of mine used to work inside waverly for a long time, they'd be amazed every week about how Hodge would limp around the club with ice packs on him for 5 days, and then turn up and put on a display on game day. He was a beast.

My thoughts too. We have enough young mids to try there....

My two cents worth CLA is that Hardwick is the perfect candidate (along with more Worpel) to replace Tom in the guts, he has a more mature body than our young mids, clean hands and good/above average disposal, our young mids can be played down back to learn the game. We also have Birchall and Scrimshaw to come in too the the defence.

Unfortunately trying to replace someone that gets 30 plus disposals on a bad day requires more than hoping our next generation mids will pick up the slack, the season is long and young bodies will get smashed up.

I'm still staggered we got him with pick 45 given his captaincy of Falcons & Vic Country.
The knock on Worps was that he lacks pace. If any of that is true then you’d think his new slimmed down physique will help any speed issues but I really haven’t noticed it. His role is to get the pill in and under so as long as he’s doing that I’m happy.

A family member of mine used to work inside waverly for a long time, they'd be amazed every week about how Hodge would limp around the club with ice packs on him for 5 days, and then turn up and put on a display on game day. He was a beast.
My uncle is a Carlton supporter but in the MCC.

Always went to Hawthorn games to watch Hodge, said he never saw a player go as hard as him (he's in his 60's). You can hear his hits when he bangs into a pack.

Absolute beast of a player and in 1925 when we announce our 100 year vfl/afl team he is a good chance to be captain.

The knock on Worps was that he lacks pace. If any of that is true then you’d think his new slimmed down physique will help any speed issues but I really haven’t noticed it. His role is to get the pill in and under so as long as he’s doing that I’m happy.

I don't believe the knock on Worpel was his pace. One of Worpel's biggest strengths was his ability to burst away from the stoppage with strength and speed. His biggest knocks were his endurance and his disposal. Despite being an elite ball winner (from his draft year I rate only Paddy Dow better in that area) he was unable to have consistent impact due to his small tank, and this would mean he would often jog to other contests or appear sluggish. Once he got to the contest he was fantastic, but he would have sub-20 disposal games due to this flaw. In addition, he tended to rush his disposal when under pressure. He would win the ball, crash it forward and hope for the best.

His tank has gotten better in his first year, and will only continue to get better. Preseason reports suggest he's leaner for good reason, and he'll hopefully be able to show his jets more. His natural aggression and ability to win the ball will only get better with time too. His disposal is the biggest query. I was pleasantly surprised that when given time and space his delivery into the forward 50 was exceptional, but when the heat was on during the finals he did tend to bomb it. Hopefully S. Mitch is giving him some private lessons on the side.

I don't believe the knock on Worpel was his pace. One of Worpel's biggest strengths was his ability to burst away from the stoppage with strength and speed. His biggest knocks were his endurance and his disposal. Despite being an elite ball winner (from his draft year I rate only Paddy Dow better in that area) he was unable to have consistent impact due to his small tank, and this would mean he would often jog to other contests or appear sluggish. Once he got to the contest he was fantastic, but he would have sub-20 disposal games due to this flaw. In addition, he tended to rush his disposal when under pressure. He would win the ball, crash it forward and hope for the best.

His tank has gotten better in his first year, and will only continue to get better. Preseason reports suggest he's leaner for good reason, and he'll hopefully be able to show his jets more. His natural aggression and ability to win the ball will only get better with time too. His disposal is the biggest query. I was pleasantly surprised that when given time and space his delivery into the forward 50 was exceptional, but when the heat was on during the finals he did tend to bomb it. Hopefully S. Mitch is giving him some private lessons on the side.
Spot on endurance and disposal were the knocks

My uncle is a Carlton supporter but in the MCC.

Always went to Hawthorn games to watch Hodge, said he never saw a player go as hard as him (he's in his 60's). You can hear his hits when he bangs into a pack.

Absolute beast of a player and in 1925 when we announce our 100 year vfl/afl team he is a good chance to be captain.

Will need a bit of help from H G Wells to attend that function !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I thought you meant Worpel will also be a 6X AA player also, but your just talking about head over the ball stuff then that's fair enough.
AA? Are you referring to that piece of s**t media award?

We're all in heated agreement on that - an absolute steal.
Hopefully we'll be saying the same thing about Dylan Moore taken at 67.

Who needs top 10 draft picks?

Pretty sure we wouldn't have won any flags in the last 10 years if we didn't have any top 10 picks

I just went back and looked at some articles and yes you are correct about his endurance / disposal being the knock. Those 2 issues obviously go hand in hand because he had a small tank. Hopefully this was due to all the extra kgs he was carrying. I still find it hard to believe that he dropped so far in the draft because endurance / disposal are skills that can be perfected over time if you put the work in. Once again the other clubs recruiters look at what a kid can't do rather than looking at what he can do. I mean if recruiters keep on over looking players like Worpel then the top clubs never have to hit the top 10 of the draft.

Yeah I am and irrespective of my opinion of Joel Selwood he's deserved the majority of his.
Yeah, you can't knock Selwood's ability as both a footballer and a captain. Champion. Pity he is such a s**t.

I have seen all of the Hawks premierships so can speak of most of our players in living memory. Hodgey, to me, is a once in a lifetime captain. Hard as F$%kin' nails and highly skilled as a footballer. I am not convinced we would have won any of our last four premierships without him.

Selwood, as good as he is, sits in Hodgey's shadow.

Yeah I am and irrespective of my opinion of Joel Selwood he's deserved the majority of his.

All Australians awards:

Shaun Burgoyne - 1 (way back in 2008)
Joel Selwood - 6

Selwood is obviously 6 times the player that Burger is.

Yeah, you can't knock Selwood's ability as both a footballer and a captain. Champion. Pity he is such a s**t.

I have seen all of the Hawks premierships so can speak of most of our players in living memory. Hodgey, to me, is a once in a lifetime captain. Hard as F$%kin' nails and highly skilled as a footballer. I am not convinced we would have won any of our last four premierships without him.

Selwood, as good as he is, sits in Hodgey's shadow.

Agree with you Arupist - I've probably been around as long as you.

Hodge is probably no 1 for toughness (and the number 1 captain) but he's got 6 decades of competition for toughness. Obvious names like Scott, Matthews, Dipper but other lesser names like Ian Bremner, Ian Mort and, pound for pound, 2 little fellas - Ian Law and David Parkin. Perhaps you file Law and Parkin under "courage" more than sheer toughness.

It woulds be an interesting exercise to rate the 10 toughest Hawthorn players from 1 to 10..

In regards to howe i just wanna see cleaner hands and be quick and confident in disposal!
Dont worry about Chad he elite the rolls Royce needs to be there round 1!
Hardwick was one of our best defenders last yr! Any chance he can play a little on ball this yr does he have the tank?

FWIW
The TAC Cup club's talent manager, Len Villani, (says) "The knock on Hardwick back then centred on his aerobic ability, but Villani now envisions a future midfield role for him."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-03/selfproclaimed-ferrari-hardwick-scores-latest-rising-star

I'm sure Axeman and Co will tell us if Dimma spends time with the midfield group.

All Australians awards:

Shaun Burgoyne - 1 (way back in 2008)
Joel Selwood - 6

Selwood is obviously 6 times the player that Burger is.
I think the point was, Worpel has a long way to go to talked about as a Burgoyne or Selwood calibre player.

Hes done very well so far.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think the point was, Worpel has a long way to go to talked about as a Burgoyne or Selwood calibre player.

Hes done very well so far.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yeah that was the point, but somehow it got deflected to Shaun Burgoyne and Luke Hodge. By the way Davo23 Shaun's AA was in 2006.

if dimma goes to the middle who plays on the smalls down back - more importantly do we have anyone with dimmas attributes we can play down there?
Yeah I totally agree. There’s been a lot of talk on here about who should go into the middle to replace Tom but there is only one Tom Mitchell and he won’t be suiting up in 2019.

I think it’s pretty clear that depending on who we play it will be Worpel / Cousins who get rotated in Tom’s absence. Once Scully is fit we’ll end up being a fast run a carry type team with Issie on the opposite wing. We’ll obviously miss Tom like crazy but how we look we wont know until mid season. I’m hoping the inclusion of Scully will offset the loss of Tom and obviously the way we play. Is it enough to keep us relevant only time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back