Game Day AFLW R5 2019: Crows v Kangas @Avalon Airport Oval (3/3/9 3:35pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Underwood isn't that much better, but since Sheehan is the main commentator, her incorrect comments bother me most. I also find her voice to be quite boring to listen to.
Well that is just it Sheehan is there as a special comments role and Underwood is there as the main play by play caller. Problem is Sheehan gets verbal diarrhea and takes over so Underwood doesn't call the "game" as she should and we end up having to listen to Sheehan crap on about what ever comes into her head as the game continues in the background.
If Sheehan talked half as much it would flow a lot smoother as Underwood while certainly not the best is ok at calling a game.
The bit when she talked about her old mans birthday was perfect example. Do it during a break not while the game is going.

Some people might laugh at this comment. But imagine Erin actually playing footy all her sporting life, instead of basketball. Her skills and toughness would be unimaginable in the current AFLW system!
Not sure i totally agree with this. I think one of the reasons she is so much better is because of the skills she picked up playing basketball at such a high level, her hands are very good, movement in traffic and the way she can position her body to her advantage.

Well that is just it Sheehan is there as a special comments role and Underwood is there as the main play by play caller. Problem is Sheehan gets verbal diarrhea and takes over so Underwood doesn't call the "game" as she should and we end up having to listen to Sheehan crap on about what ever comes into her head as the game continues in the background.
If Sheehan talked half as much it would flow a lot smoother as Underwood while certainly not the best is ok at calling a game.
The bit when she talked about her old mans birthday was perfect example. Do it during a break not while the game is going.
It’s funny reading so much of the comments on the commentary. I remember being annoyed in the first few games of AFLW back in 2017, regarding the amateurish commentary and also the bias against the Crows, mainly by Sheehan.
I think I’ve now become desensitised to the commentary and take hardly any notice of it, and I just watch the footy along with flicking onto BF to read comments instead!

Obviously the umpiring was messed up which was kind of disappointing, considering today was actually a great game by us but also a great showcase of the vast improvements in pretty much all facets of the game by both sides - marking, kicking, handballing, tackling.

Not sure i totally agree with this. I think one of the reasons she is so much better is because of the skills she picked up playing basketball at such a high level, her hands are very good, movement in traffic and the way she can position her body to her advantage.
Her spatial and visual orientation might have been great due to her basketball background. However, basketball is nowhere near as physical as it is with footy. Erin’s physicality would no doubt improve if she was playing footy for 20 odd years instead of basketball!

Problem is Sheehan gets verbal diarrhea and takes over so Underwood doesn't call the "game" as she should and we end up having to listen to Sheehan crap on about what ever comes into her head as the game continues in the background.

I think you misspelled Pavlich, or were you thinking of early days Roo. :)

But agree with you. Commentry really ruined the enjoyment. But I hate no sound too so kept it on. Especially when I have NFI who most of our players are.

Her spatial and visual orientation might have been great due to her basketball background. However, basketball is nowhere near as physical as it is with footy. Erin’s physicality would no doubt improve if she was playing footy for 20 odd years instead of basketball!
Physicality in terms of what thou? Erin is just smarter than most with how she uses her physicality not lack of it. 95% of the women playing just smash in any which way as they have never be coached or learnt how to use their body to protect themselves or create space for themselves. The few that have a clue stand out.
This will get better as the standard of coaching gets better at lower levels

I think you misspelled Pavlich, or were you thinking of early days Roo
Not at all, i don't have any issues if a commentator is a bit bias, but Sheehan is next level as she has barely a clue what she is talking about as well. Least Pav or Roo know their stuff even if its all one way.

Physicality in terms of what thou? Erin is just smarter the most with how she uses he physicality not lack of it. 95% of the women playing just smash in any which way as they have never be coached or learnt how to use their body to protect themselves or create space for themselves. The few that have a clue stand out.
This will get better as the standard of coaching gets better at lower levels
Not sure why you’re trying to continue on with a counter-argument. First of all, if a player first plays footy for 20 years instead of any other sport, they’re likely to be a better footballer than playing other sports first then transferring to footy in their mid-30s.

Regarding physicality, we’re talking about tackling toughness and knocks and bumps all over the body in each game. Basketball is physical, but it’s nowhere near as physical as footy. The body is much more conditioned to an all out assault with 20 years of footy!

Not sure why you’re trying to continue on with a counter-argument. First of all, if a player first plays footy for 20 years instead of any other sport, they’re likely to be a better footballer than playing other sports first then transferring to footy in their mid-30s.
Think you have just missed my point. I agree she would have better foot skills for one if she had stuck with footy but the footy standard she would have been playing would have been fairly avgerage as well, just look at 95% of the women play the game and the way they play it. Like i said some of the skills i mentioned she learned as an elite basketballer have transfered over well for her, skills she may never have picked up or to the same level had she not played.
For me its not that Erins basics (kicking, handballing, marking etc) are that much better than everyone else it her ability in traffic and to create space for herself that makes her better than most.
I'm not saying just take a basketballer and instant great player, Erin was a freak footy player as a junior anyway, i just think basketball has helped.

If the standard/coaching level of footy for women was like it is today back when erin was 17 then i would agree with you she would be insane.
Regarding physicality, we’re talking about tackling toughness and knocks and bumps all over the body in each game. Basketball is physical, but it’s nowhere near as physical as footy. The body is much more conditioned to an all out assault with 20 years of footy!
Not sure what you point is here are you saying Erin is not physical enough? she tackles as well as anyone i would have thought.

Not at all, i don't have any issues if a commentator is a bit bias, but Sheehan is next level as she has barely a clue what she is talking about as well. Least Pav or Roo know their stuff even if its all one way.

It was a joke. I agree with you.

I know I say it every week, but how impressive Chelsea Randall? I just adore the way she goes about it, one of the genuine highlights of watching AFLW is just seeing her marshal that half back line. She's a bit like Phillips in that she's an absolute natural footballer, but also so much more athletic than most of the players around her. Love watching her play and another excellent match today. She'd have to be in the discussion for season MVP, surely?
She is my favourite footballer. Mens and womens. She walks the walk. Brave, strong, smart, skilled.

Think you have just missed my point. I agree she would have better foot skills for one if she had stuck with footy but the footy standard she would have been playing would have been fairly avgerage as well, just look at 95% of the women play the game and the way they play it. Like i said some of the skills i mentioned she learned as an elite basketballer have transfered over well for her, skills she may never have picked up or to the same level had she not played.
For me its not that Erins basics (kicking, handballing, marking etc) are that much better than everyone else it her ability in traffic and to create space for herself that makes her better than most.
I'm not saying just take a basketballer and instant great player, Erin was a freak footy player as a junior anyway, i just think basketball has helped.

If the standard/coaching level of footy for women was like it is today back when erin was 17 then i would agree with you she would be insane.

Not sure what you point is here are you saying Erin is not physical enough? she tackles as well as anyone i would have thought.
Basketball to football in terms of physicality is perhaps analogous to boxing to MMA fighting. Every sport is physical, just to different degrees.

If Erin has been playing regular footy instead of basketball, her tackling, marking, bumps, goal sense, kicking efficiency would be even better than they are now - which was my original point - she would be unstoppable!

Anyway, it was just me making a compliment of Erin. She is already the best player in the comp as it is now. Happy to have both her and Chelsea at either end of the ground!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has to be concerning to the AFL - JLT North v Saints at Avalon Airport Oval on Saturday - the crowd was 1596. North v Crows in the AFLW on Sunday - the crowd was 2100. Sounded like most of the crowd was Crows supporters too.
Is it just a terrible venue? Or just out of the way?

Is it just a terrible venue? Or just out of the way?

Out of the way in Werribee plus there were stoppages on the train lines out there over the weekend. They had bus alternatives in place, but those take longer than the train. When you are running an event that most people will attend using public transport - best to check that the transport will be running on those times.

Out of the way in Werribee plus there were stoppages on the train lines out there over the weekend. They had bus alternatives in place, but those take longer than the train. When you are running an event that most people will attend using public transport - best to check that the transport will be running on those times.

From our place, it's an hour each way by car. Apart from the train line stoppages (and for us, it would have been two trains, both with replacement buses, making that a 2 hour each way minimum), there's also the not insignificant factor of the Avalon Airshow over the weekend which always brings heavy traffic.

For the first time, we bottled it and watched the live stream instead.

(Not that Casey Fields for Round 7 is a much more attractive option - 2.5 hours each way on public transport).

Do Kangaroos play any womens matches in Tassie like we do in the NT?

Kangaroos don't have a huge supporter base so it is kind of no surprise that there wouldn't be too many people attending.

This has to be concerning to the AFL - JLT North v Saints at Avalon Airport Oval on Saturday - the crowd was 1596. North v Crows in the AFLW on Sunday - the crowd was 2100. Sounded like most of the crowd was Crows supporters too.

Its a pain to get there, I live 10 minutes walk from Arden st but to get to the game it is 40 minutes by car or over a hour by public transport. North are currently redeveloping Arden st so hopefully once they finish that they will have the AFLW there.

Not only was the train to Werribee half down on the weekend with bus replacements, but there was an airshow down at Lara that got an expected 200,000 people over the weekend - so the freeway was pretty chockas and the trains were down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back