Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must sit in a weirdly unique part of the ground. I can feel the change in atmosphere at games. People are not happy. I go because love the club. I hate watching us play under Hinkley. You can sense the tension in the crowd, the rumble of discontent as we go for the quadruple switch of play at half back. It is not a small section of the crowd. I can't support efforts to not show up to games, but supporter discontent with Hinkley is growing and I fully support efforts of fans to show their dissatisfaction with Hinkley, his useless gameplan and selections.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app[/QUOT

This is another of the untruths popularized on this board to fit a particular point of view. What is a propaganda method? I would imagine without research it is to deliver the same message over and over again, to peddle in mistruths, supposition, inuendo, to orchestrate knowledge for a particular ideology. Firstly let me declare my self interests a bit like they have to do in politics. A labor member a port adelaide member a green conservation person, a retired teacher, travel a lot overseas and to australian deserts, will be giving out how to vote cards because i believe in the importance of governments redistributing wealth for a more equal society. Believe people deserve a fair go but feel annoyed when i dont think this is happening.

Back to the response to above post. I go to the footy at adelaide oval and was their for richmond and my human sences of hearing, seeing etc did not filter the above based on experiences of watching footy when head, kerley playing.

So how much you read here is because of a particular head set and can be considered is reasonably true, factual, unbiased. If i could be bothered might digress into group pressure, how people with similar views will read media which supports that view etc.

If Port Adelaide is solvent and ‘competitive’ it is successful.

The ‘data warehouse’ nonsense has convinced them that the team will contend in two years when half the players’ bones are dust, and that’s a nice dream to cling to.
Dead right. I have always been one for saying that the only way for Port to survive is to win games of football and the members, bums on seats and sponsors will naturally come. My thinking is mainly because we did not enter the comp first, so to survive as Port Adelaide against the rest of south Australia we have to have on field success.
The current stance our club has taken is the other option and that is the reverse of what a Port fan would want. Being financially capable does not translate into on field success or Premierships. In other words vanilla.

It's always loser talk with Ken. We could be playing North Haven C grade and he'd find a way to put a dampener on expectations.

Don’t you go dampening all over my expectations.

“In my day” North Haven didn’t have enough hacks or pure-runners-who-can’t-football or even non-footballers in general to put up a C grade.

So I got to play B grade instead and make a fool of myself there... ;)

————
The map is not the terrain.

You must sit in a weirdly unique part of the ground. .....
They said they sit in the Western Stand and I strongly suspect they sit at the northern end of the Chappell Stand along with Koch and the rest of the board and are served Kool-Aid in silver chalices at half time.

I don't how they would promise it given the process they follow to select the candidates which includes the player preferences as well but they may have outlined why he would be a very likely candidate and favourite for it in the future. I think the co-captaincy really came from the failure of of last season. Hinkley implied that 'on field leadership' was a problem that came out in the review and so it appears like it was born from that and from the Hinkley/Davies pair along with a discussion with Boak to ponder his continuation.

I am not sure what process you are referring to. Up until this year the only process I have ever known is that the PAFC Board selects the Captain. What you are suggesting is a departure from that practice. Back in 2009 Chocco is alleged to have promised the Captaincy to Shaun Burgoyne but that was quashed by the Board who appointed Don Cassisi instead. In recent years the players have voted on the leadership group but that did not include the Captain. There appears to have been a change in direction engineered by Hinkley and possibly Davies.

You are probably right in that Hinkley had a thing about leadership but if on field leadership was a problem last year it does not appear to have been solved by appointing Co Captains. As an example I did not notice Jonas go up to Ryan Burton after that double goal and talk to him. Jonas was involved in the scuffle that broke out in the aftermath but that was doing the 'support ya mates' thing. No one expects a Captain to roar the s**t out of a player who stuffs up but a few words about forgetting it and making up for it in the remainder of the game might have helped.

In my eyes Ken Hinkley is on notice this year and the criteria for judgement must be more more than on field results. Hinkley has been a catalyst in change and if those changes work he deserves credit. If they fail, he fails and he should go.

I think what shits me off the most about Ken's reign is the fact that we've consistently been unable to capitalise on what has really been a golden premiership window of opportunity for the club, list-wise and with the state of the league in general. Just take each season of his reign so far:

2013 - Making finals in his first year after the 2008-2012 period was a fantastic effort. Big tick.

2014 - We played a strong, exciting brand of football but regressed in the second half of the year. Finished 2 wins outside the top-4 and 3 outside top-2. We should've beat Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood at least in the back half of that season which would've gotten us there. We had a great finals series but failed to kick straight in the prelim. Considering Sydney's form on Grand Final day, that was a huge missed opportunity for us. Improved well from 2013 but failed to capitalise on opportunity.

2015 - We go into the season as flag favourites on the back of recruiting the "missing piece of the puzzle" and estimated natural improvement from the 2014 squad. We finished 1 win outside of the top-8 and 4 outside of the top-4. We lack consistency, show signs of complacency and failure to meet expectations following season 2014 and fail to address the problems with our game-plan with Ryder now integrated into the system. We showed we could still beat the best and turn on our god-mode form but losses to Brisbane, Carlton, Geelong and the Bulldogs cost us dearly in a season where we should've taken the chocolates. Unforgivable.

2016 - I write this one off anyways since we had a horror run with injuries, but alas we still showed a failure to address the issues with our game-plan and failure to prepare a plan-B after the Ryder and Monfries suspensions. Considering the ******* Bulldogs pulled a premiership out of their arse that year, it really was another missed opportunity.

2017 - We finished 1 win outside of top-4 and two wins off top. We played a decent brand of football and smashed the bottom teams but in continuing the trend of failing to meet expectations we couldn't stand up against the better ones, which was shown when we capped off our season nicely in our infamous elimination final loss. The Crows were meant to be "unbeatable" that season and yet we finished a win and a half behind them. A good run with injuries too, we absolutely pissed that season down the ******* drain. Our lack of leadership and composure really showed there.

2018 - After 2017 showed signs of improvement, all we really needed to do was fix our forward-line and stand up against the better teams and we would've be prime for the premiership. We recruited mature-age heads to give us that leadership and experience in that premiership push. Instead we decided to completely revert our game-plan to a dour, defensive style that didn't suit our players at all. Alas, we managed to scrape our way to an 11-4 record and although our issues were glaring, with a good bank of points behind us and room for improvement in the lead-up to finals we were once again in a good position to capitalise on a fairly even season where no team really stood out from the rest. We ended up finish 12-10, losing 6 of our last 7, 1 win outside of finals and 3 wins outside of top-4. An absolute joke considering the position we were in. With how close we got to beating the eventual premiers that year, another opportunity for success right down the drain.

2019 - After a big shake-up in the coaches box and playing group, we looked to be trying a more attacking brand of football, playing key players in their preferred positions (e.g Boak and Rockliff) and injected our side with a fresh, exciting coat of youth to mix with the experienced heads. Even with a few injuries to key players and the co-captains debacle, things were looking up, until we decided to **** up our structure again and our leaders went MIA in two close losses following our 2-0 to the season. This is shaping up to be another year where no team really has a ******* clue what's going on and it will end up being very even by the end of it, so to ******* piss away two wins because of a ******* dumb change of structure two rounds in could very well cost us our spot in finals and s**t all over another golden opportunity to make an impact this season.

It's the same s**t every year, groundhog day since late 2014. Repeat lack of leadership, consistency, structure and game-plan. We've pissed what could've very well been 6 golden years down the drain when we had a good list and other teams looked vulnerable. If we were ever going to snag that elusive 2nd AFL premiership it would've been 2014-2019, but we've managed to royally **** that up, and now will probably have to wait another 5-10 years before we get ourselves in another position like that. Cheers Ken, Koch and KT.

This is the disturbing bit. The past 6 years has been our 'up' years after a lengthy rebuild post 2004. It's netted 3 finals appearances for 3 finals wins. We're now headed back down to a rebuild, barely feeling like we're rebuilding anything that was built to begin with. It's depressing.

This is another of the untruths popularized on this board to fit a particular point of view. What is a propaganda method? I would imagine without research it is to deliver the same message over and over again, to peddle in mistruths, supposition, inuendo, to orchestrate knowledge for a particular ideology. Firstly let me declare my self interests a bit like they have to do in politics. A labor member a port adelaide member a green conservation person, a retired teacher, travel a lot overseas and to australian deserts, will be giving out how to vote cards because i believe in the importance of governments redistributing wealth for a more equal society. Believe people deserve a fair go but feel annoyed when i dont think this is happening.

Back to the response to above post. I go to the footy at adelaide oval and was their for richmond and my human sences of hearing, seeing etc did not filter the above based on experiences of watching footy when head, kerley playing.

So how much you read here is because of a particular head set and can be considered is reasonably true, factual, unbiased. If i could be bothered might digress into group pressure, how people with similar views will read media which supports that view etc.

I think the energy from supporters has declined. Sure you'll still hear the roar for a goal and for a ludicrous umpiring decision and for a goal kicked late in the game to hit the lead but the number of group bay 'Power Power Power' chants was well down last weekend, well down, in fact it barely got to rise to a convincing once. Most likely due to the 'Hinkley pipped at the post yet again script" that was unfolding before our eyes and the succumbing to knowing that we made another meal of a cherry ripe opportunity to get a win and keep above the pack before heading off to the West Coast where they have pipped us at the post a few times too.

I think the last thing a coach would want is to spoil his reputation by purposely neglecting the club. If he's as dumb as people say he is then he certainly isn't smart enough to exploit the board into giving him a multi-million dollar contract. Nobody and i mean nobody would go through so much trouble just to destroy the club.
You don't have to be clever to emotionally manipulate people. Two year olds are the best in the land at doing that and they are nowhere near fully functioning people at two.

It wasn't a diabolically cunning plan to say either you reinstate me or i am off to the Gold Coast. You give me what i want or i am not going to play with you anymore. It doesn't take much to issue hollow threats. It can still mean he is dull witted.

In reality we are observers only of what Hinkley is perpetrating. At least in terms of generating rapid change.
As in any employment situation dissatisfaction with Hinkley must be initiated by the "employees". In this case the "employees" are the players themselves.
If the club is trying to be in any way professional, then the train of action must initially be directed, in a professional manner, by the players to something that resembles HR. Who is that? Therein they express concern over Hinkley's stubbornness/stoicism.
You know the pak drill from there. A meeting perhaps between parties coordinated by HR to resolve issues
No resolution? Take the process one level higher. No resolution? Take the process one step higher.
It's gotta be the playing group, not us.

In fact I thought the seeds were there the other night. My son mentioned to me that a couple of players looked disinterested, and I actually agreed with him. The post departure comments of Polec, in particular, somewhat support growing dissatisfaction.

If we cop a > 10 goal flogging against WCE, the discontent will further rise. He will be in danger of being knifed by his own men.

Sure the club will pick up on our rumblings as a support base, and it may help resolve "issues", but things like withdrawing attendance will have the kinetics of treacle.

In reality we are observers only of what Hinkley is perpetrating. At least in terms of generating rapid change.
As in any employment situation dissatisfaction with Hinkley must be initiated by the "employees". In this case the "employees" are the players themselves.
If the club is trying to be in any way professional, then the train of action must initially be directed, in a professional manner, by the players to something that resembles HR. Who is that? Therein they express concern over Hinkley's stubbornness/stoicism.
You know the pak drill from there. A meeting perhaps between parties coordinated by HR to resolve issues
No resolution? Take the process one level higher. No resolution? Take the process one step higher.
It's gotta be the playing group, not us.

In fact I thought the seeds were there the other night. My son mentioned to me that a couple of players looked disinterested, and I actually agreed with him. The post departure comments of Polec, in particular, somewhat support growing dissatisfaction.

If we cop a > 10 goal flogging against WCE, the discontent will further rise. He will be in danger of being knifed by his own men.

Sure the club will pick up on our rumblings as a support base, and it may help resolve "issues", but things like withdrawing attendance will have the kinetics of treacle.

How would an empty stadium look do you think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What utter garbage. Those think that Keith and Kochy are just simply there to pay the bills and not to try and ensure the best chances of Port being successful, are wrong. I know it fits the narrative and lines up well with a lot of people's feelings towards the club, but its quite simply a fallacy.
I hope you are right, but their actions do not seem to demonstrate this.

I absolutely agree that the accountability does not exist, but that is the way it is at most AFL clubs, even sporting clubs for that matter. Its hard to argue that that these decisions that have been made, in retrospect, have been poor ones. However, I do believe they were made at the time with a view that they would be decisions that would see us move forward. As you correctly have pointed out, they probably have not. However, there are people in here that think these guys don't care and have made these decisions because they want us to fail. These dudes work tirelessly for the club and yeah sure some/all/most (take your pick) of the decisions they have made have been failures, and maybe it is time for change....

I am not throwing the baby out just yet, and yeah i would have preferred we did not re-sign hinkley either, but here we are...
Someone must be made accountable for re-signing Hinkley. It cannot be just dismissed with 'here we are' or justified by 93% of Facebook supporters approve of Hinkley.

Someone must be made accountable for re-signing Hinkley. It cannot be just dismissed with 'here we are' or justified by 93% of Facebook supporters approve of Hinkley.
Yes this whole "oh well what can we do but lie back and think of England" is just a load of horseshit. As is the oh stop complaining you mustn't be a real supporter because a real supporter would take on all the disdain the club is throwing at us and smile and support the boys. WTAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back