Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What utter garbage. Those think that Keith and Kochy are just simply there to pay the bills and not to try and ensure the best chances of Port being successful, are wrong. I know it fits the narrative and lines up well with a lot of people's feelings towards the club, but its quite simply a fallacy.

Since 2015, in 4 pathetic years of failure, the following key decision makers have retained their places at the club:

Chairman
CEO
Head of Football Dept
Coach
Senior Assistant.

Do you think that's still the case if the board has to answer to the members?

The lack of accountability at this club starts with Koch, and it's probably primarily because he doesn't answer to anyone.

2E7A6E8A-6853-4B36-ABD5-453F4E9DD82E.jpeg

Keith preaching to lapsed members by inferring we’re not in a salary-capped league and instead are Ipswich Town trying in vain to match it with the Manchester Uniteds, Liverpools and Chelseas.

You must sit in a weirdly unique part of the ground. I can feel the change in atmosphere at games. People are not happy. I go because love the club. I hate watching us play under Hinkley. You can sense the tension in the crowd, the rumble of discontent as we go for the quadruple switch of play at half back. It is not a small section of the crowd. I can't support efforts to not show up to games, but supporter discontent with Hinkley is growing and I fully support efforts of fans to show their dissatisfaction with Hinkley, his useless gameplan and selections.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
And then he bemoans that we're not marking the ball better inside 50. This is the gameplan Ken keeps implementing and then he says what everyone has been saying, and what Walker made pretty obvious last week then Grimes this week, about not having the right marking targets and decision-making going forward. If he can see the problem and has admitted it's there, why not do something about it?

What utter garbage. Those think that Keith and Kochy are just simply there to pay the bills and not to try and ensure the best chances of Port being successful, are wrong. I know it fits the narrative and lines up well with a lot of people's feelings towards the club, but its quite simply a fallacy.
Thank goodness someone with some credibility on this board has called these ridiculous assertions out.

View attachment 655140

Keith preaching to lapsed members by inferring we’re not in a salary-capped league and instead are Ipswich Town trying in vain to match it with the Manchester Uniteds, Liverpools and Chelseas.
"I don't see any point in shaping the Club in such a way that our most loyal and passionate supporters can't relate to". I'm glad he felt this way when they were discussing co-captaincy.

Since 2015, in 4 pathetic years of failure, the following key decision makers have retained their places at the club:

Chairman
CEO
Head of Football Dept
Coach
Senior Assistant.

The lack of accountability at this club starts with Koch, and it's probably primarily because he doesn't answer to anyone.

I absolutely agree that the accountability does not exist, but that is the way it is at most AFL clubs, even sporting clubs for that matter. Its hard to argue that that these decisions that have been made, in retrospect, have been poor ones. However, I do believe they were made at the time with a view that they would be decisions that would see us move forward. As you correctly have pointed out, they probably have not. However, there are people in here that think these guys don't care and have made these decisions because they want us to fail. These dudes work tirelessly for the club and yeah sure some/all/most (take your pick) of the decisions they have made have been failures, and maybe it is time for change....

I am not throwing the baby out just yet, and yeah i would have preferred we did not re-sign hinkley either, but here we are...

I absolutely agree that the accountability does not exist, but that is the way it is at most AFL clubs, even sporting clubs for that matter. Its hard to argue that that these decisions that have been made, in retrospect, have been poor ones. However, I do believe they were made at the time with a view that they would be decisions that would see us move forward. As you correctly have pointed out, they probably have not. However, there are people in here that think these guys don't care and have made these decisions because they want us to fail. These dudes work tirelessly for the club and yeah sure some/all/most (take your pick) of the decisions they have made have been failures, and maybe it is time for change....

I am not throwing the baby out just yet, and yeah i would have preferred we did not re-sign hinkley either, but here we are...

It's not that they want us to fail, that absolutely isn't the case. It's that making the sort of ruthless decisions that are needed for the culture of this club to change around are beyond them because maintaining a friendly, stable atmosphere is paramount.

We have absolutely talked ourselves down at every opportunity because expectation leads to potential disappointment which leads to member angst. We've had a list move through it's premiership window in terms of age. There has been a heap of talent on that list, more than enough to say, make the top 4 a single time.

Whatever Koch and KT see as success for this football club, they haven't been willing to take risks to get us closer to a premiership. They haven't been willing to hold people accountable for their poor performance, and that's literally the board's job. Set goals, put people in place to achieve those goals, hold those people accountable for achieving those goals.

Inexcusable losing to the Tigers!!

4 of their starting 18 out including a key fwd, key back, attacking mid and attacking defender all out injured, plus playing 4 first year players. Ken hasn’t improved the side our game is predictable and when the heats on we love going backwards sideways and slow it down. How the board can be so inactive is amazing

It's not that they want us to fail, that absolutely isn't the case. It's that making the sort of ruthless decisions that are needed for the culture of this club to change around are beyond them because maintaining a friendly, stable atmosphere is paramount.

We have absolutely talked ourselves down at every opportunity because expectation leads to potential disappointment which leads to member angst. We've had a list move through it's premiership window in terms of age. There has been a heap of talent on that list, more than enough to say, make the top 4 a single time.

Whatever Koch and KT see as success for this football club, they haven't been willing to take risks to get us closer to a premiership. They haven't been willing to hold people accountable for their poor performance, and that's literally the board's job. Set goals, put people in place to achieve those goals, hold those people accountable for achieving those goals.
Well said and no arguments from me on any of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank goodness someone with some credibility on this board has called these ridiculous assertions out.

You just tuck yourself up in bed with your sippy-cup full of Kool Aid and continue to bemoan the fact that even when the Crows are s**t they leave us in the dust.

However, there are people in here that think these guys don't care and have made these decisions because they want us to fail.

If you want to disagree with me that’s fine, but that is literally the polar opposite to what I or anyone has said.

I don't think the decisions were made to deliberately make us fail. However, the decision to re-sign Hinkley was as incredulous at the time as it was in retrospect. We have never heard the reasons behind this decision making. Hinkley had been at the club for sufficient time to be a known quantity. He was to be harsh a failed coach at the time and remains a failed coach now. His selection policies in particular have been short sighted and undermined the development of the club. His communication and attitude to the member base have been consistently poor. Hinkley has been unable to develop a consistent playing style that stands up to pressure. He has been unable to get the most out of different personality types in the playing group. He continues to bring in favourite players underdone to the detriment of the players and the club. In short, he has wasted the careers of a very good playing group whilst exhibiting no accountability for his actions. The club has never explained Hinkley's re-signing and continue to hide by attempting to lower expectations. Whist there is no desire to make Port Adelaide fail, there has been no accountability for causing this to happen.

View attachment 655140

Is this real?

Keith, you want to hear from me?

OK.

PISS OFF. * OFF. GO, NOW, ALL OF YOU.

While I don't agree with the 'heap of talent' on the list (I think the best 22 was very talented, but the depth was poor, as witnessed by the fact that 2014 was our best year for the Magpies), the premise of this post is spot on.

Geelong didn't appoint Hinkley when Thompson resigned as head coach for the very reason that they didn't feel he could be ruthless enough. That's why he's always talking s**t about how great the opposition are - back in 2013/14 he had his chest puffed out talking about how teams that play us better be prepared to run etc. and slogans like 'you don't defend, you don't play'. Now it's always 'nearly guys'...'we'll take positives out of that' and all the other millennial bullshit that breeds an air of unaccountably within the playing group.

I want to know what happened to the ruthless hard arse that joined Port in 2013 and said to the playing group that they managed to get two coaches sacked, and to do the run again. If he's grown too close to the players because of the tragedies that the group has suffered together, then he needs to recuse himself of being head coach ASAP, because one of the jobs of a coach (and a CEO) is to make the tough calls and not be afraid of shaking things up. Stability is only good when it is used as the foundation on which to grow...it's is NOT meant to be the end in itself.

That's why I've said elsewhere that this week will tell me what I need to know. The systems that Montgomery and Schofield spoke about at the convention were exactly the kind of football that I've wanted to see for a long time. If this campaigner even tries to go in unchanged after that soft as s**t performance, he needs to offer his resignation in the press conference that they hold on Thursday when he normally announces the team, and Schofield should be put in his place.

Ken is hanging on by the slenderest of threads with me after that s**t we saw on the weekend. Everyone knew it was going to happen, because it happened the week before.

While I don't agree with the 'heap of talent' on the list (I think the best 22 was very talented, but the depth was poor, as witnessed by the fact that 2014 was our best year for the Magpies), the premise of this post is spot on.

Geelong didn't appoint Hinkley when Thompson resigned as head coach for the very reason that they didn't feel he could be ruthless enough. That's why he's always talking s**t about how great the opposition are - back in 2013/14 he had his chest puffed out talking about how teams that play us better be prepared to run etc. and slogans like 'you don't defend, you don't play'. Now it's always 'nearly guys'...'we'll take positives out of that' and all the other millennial bullshit that breeds an air of unaccountably within the playing group.

I want to know what happened to the ruthless hard arse that joined Port in 2013 and said to the playing group that they managed to get two coaches sacked, and to do the run again. If he's grown too close to the players because of the tragedies that the group has suffered together, then he needs to recuse himself of being head coach ASAP, because one of the jobs of a coach (and a CEO) is to make the tough calls and not be afraid of shaking things up. Stability is only good when it is used as the foundation on which to grow...it's is NOT meant to be the end in itself.

That's why I've said elsewhere that this week will tell me what I need to know. The systems that Montgomery and Schofield spoke about at the convention were exactly the kind of football that I've wanted to see for a long time. If this campaigner even tries to go in unchanged after that soft as s**t performance, he needs to offer his resignation in the press conference that they hold on Thursday when he normally announces the team, and Schofield should be put in his place.

Ken is hanging on by the slenderest of threads with me after that s**t we saw on the weekend. Everyone knew it was going to happen, because it happened the week before.
We are the worst coached team in the competition. We are not about to reinvent football and haven’t looked like it for four years.

The coaches under pressure ahead of the 2019 AFL season

Ken Hinkley
Ken Hinkley is going into his seventh season as Port Adelaide squad. For such a talented list, they have disappointed in their past four seasons.
Coming ninth, tenth, fifth – but disappointing in the elimination final against West Coast – and tenth in 2018.
They boast a list with Charlie Dixon, Robbie Grey and Ollie Wines. This list should be performing week after week.
They were tipped to come top four and challenge for the premiership. However, this was not to happen.
Unfortunately, all of this comes back to the coach. There is a pressure on Hinkley to rejuvenate the Power and turn them into a force in 2019.
If not it could be another season of disappointment at Alberton which could lead to change in the coaching ranks. Hopefully for Hinkley, this will not happen.
It's happening...

A year too late but it's happening....

Change.

I think it's a simple case that Koch and KT are going for stability over success, and unfortunately our stability has been consistent mediocrity on-field for the majority of their tenure now. They are trying to control the fire and restrict it from reverting back to the flaming hot mess on and off-field that was 2008-2012, when really we've just been a consistent smouldering heap since 2015. I believe there is a fear of the inherent risk that comes with making the ruthless decisions like moving on Ken, Voss, Bassett or whomever and the resulting instability that would immediately cloud over the club, but I think for us as passionate supporters we would much prefer the risk in hard-pursuing success as opposed to stability in just plodding along.

Chairman
CEO
Head of Football Dept
Coach
Senior Assistant.

When Ken goes, they all must go. Massive clean out needed at board level also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back