Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

He's played 8 games and has been omitted once already this season. If somebody like Francis comes into form, he may get dropped again - how is he not a depth player?
He's missed a game, sure. You cannot tell me that the game he played today is a "depth player". He was excellent after adjusting to the biggest game he'll play until September.

He's missed a game, sure. You cannot tell me that the game he played today is a "depth player". He was excellent after adjusting to the biggest game he'll play until September.
He's not yet a lock in the Essendon team therefore he's a depth player

He's not yet a lock in the Essendon team therefore he's a depth player
Maybe you have a different definition of depth, but all bar one of his competition is available and he still plays. That to me says best 22. To me a depth player is someone who immediately drops out when their counterpart is fit, say, Matt Dea. You can say he's a fringe player, sure, but he's played 5 of the 6 games this year, and all bar one of his competition is fit. So depth is categorically incorrect.

I mean sure, that one could replace him. But on available evidence, right now, you cannot definitively say he's depth.

Something always glossed over in these threads is that players are actually on lists for years other than their best year.

Short of some “unprecedented” regression, Oliver should be almost untouchable. He has been elite almost from game 1. Lets say the great mystery box in McKay does have 1 season where he plays better than Oliver, so what?

Im taking 12 years of A-A+ footy from Oliver over the likely scenario whereby at best the others give you 5 years of A-A+, 3 years of B grade and 4 years of C grade.

People want to measure there own dick on current what they can see. Its simpleton thinking to do as you (and I suggested earlier in this thread) and take a look at the overall career of the player in question.

Maybe you have a different definition of depth, but all bar one of his competition is available and he still plays. That to me says best 22. To me a depth player is someone who immediately drops out when their counterpart is fit, say, Matt Dea. You can say he's a fringe player, sure, but he's played 5 of the 6 games this year, and all bar one of his competition is fit. So depth is categorically incorrect.

I mean sure, that one could replace him. But on available evidence, right now, you cannot definitively say he's depth.

He isn't depth, we know this. Has firmly moved into best 22 player now on the back of his last month of football.

What makes you say that? Not on past evidence.

No team runs more hot and cold.

I have no confidence they will play finals this year, let alone the next two after that.

Looking at there list and age profile I would estimate that they will be 6-9th the next 3 years.

I reckon missing on the 2015 draft and selecting McGrath over Taranto, McLuggage and SPS as well as overpaying for Shiel will prevent them from playing prelim finals with this group.

Looking at there list and age profile I would estimate that they will be 6-9th the next 3 years.

I reckon missing on the 2015 draft and selecting McGrath over Taranto, McLuggage and SPS as well as overpaying for Shiel will prevent them from playing prelim finals with this group.
McGrath right now is tracking to be an excellent player. He's averaging 20 touches and looks on track for 15+ goals.

McGrath right now is tracking to be an excellent player. He's averaging 20 touches and looks on track for 15+ goals.

You might want to look up the definition of "excellent".

I believe "solid back pocket" or "average undersized mid" are more reflective of his output/ceiling.

You might want to look up the definition of "excellent".

I believe "solid back pocket" or "average undersized mid" are more reflective of his output/ceiling.
Nah. He's shown sone outstanding signs and is definitely living up to his #1 pick billing.

It is hard enough to project 3 weeks from now, let alone 3 years. Age profile does not equate to ladder position, just look at Roos and Dees (bottom of the ladder) who's profile would suggest better performances than currently being dished up.

Currently Essendon are a 50-50 team, equal wins and losses.

They look a 7 - 13 type team.

This opinion is obviously influenced by the belief that Carlton's method for building a list is only way to do it which is stupid because Carlton themselves were forced to down their path by possibly the worst drafting period in recent history

Hilarious that he's trying to lump SPS in the McGrath, Taranto, McCluggage group.

Did you see SPS rack up 35 and a goal hitting targets on both feet? He's got far more upside than McGrath who's never played a game at that level and who is not on the same planet as Taranto or McLuggage.

What compounds the terrible selection of McGrath is he is criminally undersized to ever be a good mid and if there's one thing Essendon have a surplus of its small mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This opinion is obviously influenced by the belief that Carlton's method for building a list is only way to do it which is stupid because Carlton themselves were forced to down their path by possibly the worst drafting period in recent history

I agree with the poor recruiting until 2015 when SOS arrived

Did you see SPS rack up 35 and a goal hitting targets on both feet? He's got far more upside than McGrath who's never played a game at that level and who is not on the same planet as Taranto or McLuggage.

What compounds the terrible selection of McGrath is he is criminally undersized to ever be a good mid and if there's one thing Essendon have a surplus of its small mids.

How is McGrath undersized but SPS has elite upside?

McGrath is the best athlete out of the group has played all over the ground and is an excellent two way player.

Hilarious that he's trying to lump SPS in the McGrath, Taranto, McCluggage group.
but he had a good game last week. So did McKay.
Carlton are back!!! Top 4 beckons.
Didn't you watch them dismantle the benchmark team last week......

McGrath a back pocket...please. Hasn't played there since 2017.

but he had a good game last week. So did McKay.
Carlton are back!!! Top 4 beckons.
Didn't you watch them dismantle the benchmark team last week......

McGrath a back pocket...please. Hasn't played there since 2017.

People trying to play down McGrath's ceiling haven't watched us play. He had 25 touches 2 goals last week one of them a snap from a stoppage 45m out that sailed through post height.

People trying to play down McGrath's ceiling haven't watched us play. He had 25 touches 2 goals last week one of them a snap from a stoppage 45m out that sailed through post height.
Back pocket my friend.
He's garbage. What a blunder........Now we're stuck in the middle of road.
Carlton broke the ton last week. And their win drought. And beat the Dogs! The Dogs!!!
Should have gone SPS.

Back pocket. what were we thinking.

Back pocket my friend.
He's garbage. What a blunder........Now we're stuck in the middle of road.
Carlton broke the ton last week. And their win drought. And beat the Dogs! The Dogs!!!
Should have gone SPS.

Back pocket. what were we thinking.

Nah man the Essendon midfield needs Taranto it can't compete on the inside with the good midfields without a big body.

We just towelled up Collingwood around the ball for 3 quarters finishing plus 11 in the clearances for the game.

Yikes, this is going to be a bitter pill to swallow for Essendon fans.
View attachment 662165
Needles. We don't do pills! Maybe there were pills. who even knows.
Ill take our ladder position, list & McGrath thanks.

Those 2 extra possessions SPS are getting don't seem to be helping your cause as much. Why 1-4?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back