Review Pies cause a blackout! (Pies 108-69 Port)

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is pretty much all our forwards play like talls. If we were a regular set up, Cox 1st tall/back up ruck, Reid 2nd, Mihocek 3rd it should work but we have Elliott, Stevo and De Goey leading as well and being more of a focal point. Mihocek is relegated to being a floater and may get dropped not due to performance but due to an embarassment of riches... whichever way it goes someone is going to end up stiff...

Sure I agree but when we play a side with tall backs - Essendon, Brisbane and eagles we need actually talls not just those that play tall. Mihocek can play tall or medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reid was good but I would love to know when Port got their goals. When Grundy was resting? This is the problem when questioning whether we play Reid or Cox. Both offer something different.

The defence has been good all year and like Moore said, chemistry'. Although, Howe hasn't lived up to last year, (IMO) I wonder why?
Moore, Langdon and Maynard stood up tonight.

Maybe Moore has stolen Howe's thunder as the man to get up the highest and first to the ball. I'm starting to think Howe is starting to lose some spring, he doesn't take a specky every week these days.

Thought it was just about the best umpired game I've seen for some time.

Agreed. Only 1-2 non holding the ball decisions and the free against Moore right at the end but otherwise it was great. The lack of free kicks paid reflects that it was well umpired. AFL take note please!

I wonder if Howe could do with a rest in either of the upcoming weeks. There's off games but that performance tonight was very odd - he just couldn't get near the ball and he was constantly losing his man inside defensive 50.

Not concerned with his yearly form to date - he's been solid, and played two elite games against Richmond and Essendon. The day he's our weakest defensive link is the day we complete the three peat.

Quietly liking Greenwood's form at half-back/wing - his ball use is currently in its best shape since he joined the club and he doesn't let his man get much space at all so he rarely loses one-on-ones. His attack on the ball is awesome too.

He's a good man on the last line of defense too if it's a ground ball, a couple of times if he didn't win the contest it was a Port goal but he held his nerve and put his nose over it first or used his body, he's not flashy so will never make the highlight reel but does good little things. I'm somewhat surprised they consider him borderline and he's always on the chopping block because he does his jobs well, he just doesn't stand out much.

Total domination. When ‘headed’ in the second quarter we still kicked 1.6 (should have been 4.3 at worst) and coughed up a comfortable 50 point lead due to stupidity and boredom.

Next...

It was a lot more one sided than I thought. We should make middle of the road sides look stupid though if we are the real deal.

Great sign that we're able to burst out of the blocks in our matches. We're currently on a 10-match streak for winning the first quarter.

Semi Final 2018 v GWS = +22
Preliminary Final 2018 v Richmond = +23
Grand Final 2018 v West Coast = +17
Round 1 2019 v Geelong = +9
Round 2 2019 v Richmond = +6
Round 3 2019 v West Coast = +11
Round 4 2019 v Western Bulldogs = +5
Round 5 2019 v Brisbane = +27
Round 6 2019 v Essendon = +23
Round 7 2019 v Port Adelaide = +45

Agreed. Only 1-2 non holding the ball decisions and the free against Moore right at the end but otherwise it was great. The lack of free kicks paid reflects that it was well umpired. AFL take note please!

Barely noticed the umpires today. The way it should be.

The big winner was humanity.The game played second fiddle to little Kyron.
Well done to Collingwood Football Club for making the night such a memorable one for this little boy and his folks.
Life was put into perspective last night and winning the game just topped off Kyron's match.Very proud of our boys who really cared for him and his parents.

G'day folks, never thought I'd be venturing into this neck of the woods, but I come in peace!

Just wanted to say that tonight was yet another reminder of why Pendles is my all-time favourite non-Swan to watch. I've had a few over the years (Judd, McLeod, Voss, Scarlett), but jesus this guy is what football is all about. He's one of the few players you could put in any era and would be an absolute superstar. One of the best players of his generation. Throw him back in the Jock McHale days and he'd be a Legend in the Hall of Fame. Play him in the 80s and he'd have two Brownlows. I watch him every week and gulp every time he does something wonderful cause it's just another reminder of all the times he's torn us a new one. How lucky you lot are to get to watch those moments with joy instead of that sense of dread.

Alright, love affair rant over. Glad you guys tore them apart (no pun intended!)

G'day folks, never thought I'd be venturing into this neck of the woods, but I come in peace!

Just wanted to say that tonight was yet another reminder of why Pendles is my all-time favourite non-Swan to watch. I've had a few over the years (Judd, McLeod, Voss, Scarlett), but jesus this guy is what football is all about. He's one of the few players you could put in any era and would be an absolute superstar. One of the best players of his generation. Throw him back in the Jock McHale days and he'd be a Legend in the Hall of Fame. Play him in the 80s and he'd have two Brownlows. I watch him every week and gulp every time he does something wonderful cause it's just another reminder of all the times he's torn us a new one. How lucky you lot are to get to watch those moments with joy instead of that sense of dread.

Alright, love affair rant over. Glad you guys tore them apart (no pun intended!)

I think we take him for granted. We are lucky he is still doing it 280+ games into his career. Every club has a few you'd love to have. I would have loved Goodes, O'Loughlin, Kelly, Lockett. Wouldn't mind Heeney now. But you're right, Pendles is a ripper and will rightfully assume his place in footy history as one of the greats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also wanted to give a shout out to Tom Langdon. I used to tear my hair out with some of the things he did, and I always thought him to be someone we should try to upgrade on if possible....

This year he’s gone to a new level. He’s incredibly consistent. Barely makes a mistake. He’s been a quiet but massive improver, all spurred on by the back of a fantastic finals series last year. Hats off Tom, you’re a bloody legend!

That 1st quarter was easily our best performance this year. Made to work pretty hard after that. Our poor ball use and conversion kept them in it.

Looks like we'll lose Adams for a while and interesting the Grundy was benched for the end of the last. Hopefully just resting him because the game was won.

Let’s hope it was just resting and giving Roughy a run in the ruck.

Mihocek should not miss. He is the perfect third tall. Mobile, can mark, long kick and does kick goals. We can’t upset the team balance based off one game where Reid plays well.

This is the Reid challenge.
If not Mihocek, who?

Great competition for spots.

My main point would be, Cox is first cab.
Then who is next etc.

I f told yas re.. every forward needs to be dangerous.. I don't give a f what they do in rugby basketball with this defensive forward crap.. I don't wanna see it at Collingwood

This forward line can rip you to shreds from anywhere re.. this is Barcelona Liverpool s**t re.. as soon as it enters the forward half it's f damage control for the opposition.. don't ever waste a valuable precious spot in our forward line for a defensive kreas re..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back