Review Pies cause a blackout! (Pies 108-69 Port)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid is the natural footballer Cox could never be. He kicks it just as far as Cox does.
That’s not the discussion.
Reid is a super talented guy, at his best.
As he’s ageing he has lost a bit of distance.

But Cox will be the first choice because simply he offers us something very different.
That elite height.

So Reid fights with Mihocek for a spot, in my view.
Or do we look at dropping a Thomas for all of them?

Doubt that too.

Funny thing, only the other day people were laughing at Reid (wrongly I might add).
Now he’s a saviour.

Big footy never change.

I'd play them all for a few weeks - give Grundy a lighter load for a while.
Then someone like Thomas or Greenwood might mids with Mihocek playing smaller.

I like Reid but don’t see him taking the Cox position more the Mihocek slot.
That’s my take.

Then someone like Thomas or Greenwood might mids with Mihocek playing smaller.

I like Reid but don’t see him taking the Cox position more the Mihocek slot.
That’s my take.
I agree. Just don't think you can play Grundy for 90% all year. Let the 3 forwards have a shoot out and also give Grundy some lighter minutes. JDG covers Adams in the guts. Between them they can also cover the rest time of the talls in defence.

Channel 7 can get stuffed , BT please do not call another Collingwood game and Bruce you try to hide your distain for our club but cannot help yourself i.e. the remark about the 44 point margin to fn Carlton. Then the pre game build up , they've got these 3 young guns , it's Boaky's 250th he's never lost a mile stone game , they've got Kochi blah blah blah ,
You know what F heads , they got smashed, Power outage in the first qtr , F off back to Adelaide with your tail between your legs , lucky it was a merciful killing by way of our poor goal kicking , lookout when we put 4 qtrs together, will be nice if its next week against the filth and good on the players for snubbing roaming Brian , the gimmick is getting loathsome just like his commentary, yeah I get it he was a club legend and all but I can not stand it how he wills opposition teams on just like that Dunstall fwit used too or that turd Andy Maher . Anyway rant over , keep it real Magpies kill 'em all .....

Brown did his job. Plays hard and has great evasive ability. Gotta keep him in the side to keep building.
JT needs to lift and should come under pressure and Obi Wan Degoey does what Degoey does but he needs to compose him self a bit more. Making too many lazy mistakes.

Great win

Thought Brown was very good this week, seemed to have controlled game time up until when Adams went off, still only had 75%TOG. Only Elliott had less TOG at 74%. Still managed 13 possessions which isn't bad for a HF, clean hands were back and he managed a team high 7 tackles while offering Varcoe like tenacity with 2nd and 3rd efforts which resulted in 26 PAs (2nd highest behind only Pendles). Only thing missing from his game was scoreboard impact.

Last edited:
Listening to Ken Hinkley.. I do not understand for the life of me how he got the job. He's not overly bright.

Just amazes me how he got through the process.
The same club that has Koshie as president re. Not a lot of smart people in Adelaide re. But then, there are no Greeks! Hellas! Hellas! Hellas!

Lost clearances and tackles but didn't seem to matter.

View attachment 667046

Same old, same old those stats don't seem to matter as long as we don't get smashed but we did our thing in owning the ball and inside 50's.

Noone has patted Grundy on the back yet but he did well holding his own against probably the best ruck combo in the game in Ryder and Lycett and took some nice marks around the ground. Not his best game but very, very solid. He doesn't have poor games.

Hate the buggers myself TD but thought they weren't to bad tonight

Yeah there were only a few decisions/non-calls that annoyed me.

One was Callum Brown giving away an in the back free when he never even landed on the Port players back and then in the next qtr he got monstered from behind and the Port player landed hard on his back and the umps ignored it. Not a huge deal though.

Another one was Westoff holding one of our players from behind by the waste in a marking contest and they gave a free kick to Westoff for holding :drunk: That one was truly baffling.

Clurey competed very well with De Goey and it was a fun battle all night, but I thought De Goey could've gotten one or 2 free kicks for being held.

The biggest howler of the night though was when De Goey bumped Lycett in the marking contest and somehow gave away a blocking free. De Goey was in the contest and bodied out his opponent. In what universe is that a free kick for blocking?

And as usual Grundy gets molested in the ruck and can't buy a free kick to save his life. Thankfully he didn't end up giving away any free kicks himself which he usually does for doing the same thing his opponent constantly goes unpenalized for. Grundy gets by far the worst treatment from the umps out of any player in the comp. I think he might've gotten lippy with one of the umpires when he first started and they banded together and agreed to never give him a fair go from that point on. I can't think of any other reason he gets such s**t treatment from the scumps every week. Take a look at the stats since he started and how many free kicks he's given away to how many he's received then compare that to any other ruckman in the comp.

It’s a tough one isn’t it? I’m leaning that way too. Reid a little more mobile, offers more around the ground, and a one-grab player. Cox does some things that he doesn’t though too... Tricky call
Tricky one... a good problem to have, as they say.
For me, it's Cox OR Reid with Mihocek - Brodie's mobility is key.
I'd start by giving Cox a longer rest anyway if there's any doubt at all.
Let's see what Reid and Mihocek can produce in the meantime.
Afterall, Coxy's output has surely not guaranteed a place if Reidy reproduces that kind of output with straighter kicking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strong win.

A dominant first quarter set the tone for the rest of the match, and we never looked like losing at any stage despite Port's mini fightback in the second and early stages of the third quarter. Before the match started, I would have been ecstatic with a 39 point victory considering Port's good run of form leading into tonight's game.

Pendles backs it up again with another great performance. I'm starting to notice the media is talking about him in the mould of being one of Collingwood's all time greats. Considering he's approaching 300 games and been ultra consistent for over a decade, I think the discussions are valid.

Excellent defensive performance by Moore. One of his best performances in his career so far.

Becoming worried about De Goey's set shot kicking. He's had the kicking yips for a few weeks now, and he hasn't been able to shake it. Hopefully he can improve on that aspect of the game in the coming weeks.

Disappointing to hear that Adams suffered an adductor strain. Suspect it will result in him missing several weeks, which is a big loss. Hopefully we're able to cover his loss adequately.

The forward line functioned well tonight. Stephenson was on fire especially in the first quarter. Elliott and Mihocek also kicked several majors, which only makes our forward line more potent and dangerous for opposition defences.

Wonderful gesture by the club to make Kyron's night special and one he won't forget. Witnessing his struggles certainly reminds us of the preciousness of life and puts ones own life into perspective.

I didn't notice umpires at all really which is how it should be. I think they would have got a talking to for being so 'involved' against Essendon and the stink that caused. Call the obvious ones, let the ticky touchwood ones go.

Cox is far far far more important for us.

With his height and mobility he can never be left alone.

He’s more accurate and is THE back up ruck.
He stands the mark better than anyone.
He’s a headache Reid can never be.
Reid looks to have lost a good few meters off his kicking range.

But it might be Mihocek that misses for a fully firing Reid.

Mihocek should not miss. He is the perfect third tall. Mobile, can mark, long kick and does kick goals. We can’t upset the team balance based off one game where Reid plays well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloody scumps where **** again.

Port got looked after well

Thought it was just about the best umpired game I've seen for some time.

Mihocek should not miss. He is the perfect third tall. Mobile, can mark, long kick and does kick goals. We can’t upset the team balance based off one game where Reid plays well.

The thing is pretty much all our forwards play like talls. If we were a regular set up, Cox 1st tall/back up ruck, Reid 2nd, Mihocek 3rd it should work but we have Elliott, Stevo and De Goey leading as well and being more of a focal point. Mihocek is relegated to being a floater and may get dropped not due to performance but due to an embarassment of riches... whichever way it goes someone is going to end up stiff...

Reid was good but I would love to know when Port got their goals. When Grundy was resting? This is the problem when questioning whether we play Reid or Cox. Both offer something different.

The defence has been good all year and like Moore said, chemistry'. Although, Howe hasn't lived up to last year, (IMO) I wonder why?
Moore, Langdon and Maynard stood up tonight.

Same old, same old those stats don't seem to matter as long as we don't get smashed but we did our thing in owning the ball and inside 50's.

Noone has patted Grundy on the back yet but he did well holding his own against probably the best ruck combo in the game in Ryder and Lycett and took some nice marks around the ground. Not his best game but very, very solid. He doesn't have poor games.

This was his biggest test imo aside from West Coast’s ruck once Nic Nat is back. Ryder is the type of ruck that Grundy “struggles” with. Not struggles but he is certainly very athletic.

This was his biggest test imo aside from West Coast’s ruck once Nic Nat is back. Ryder is the type of ruck that Grundy “struggles” with. Not struggles but he is certainly very athletic.

Stats suggest he broke even at hitouts even though Reid was beaten every time he went up and I think Grundy had more influence around the ground, his clean hands overhead impressed me and I didn't notice Ryder or Lycett do anything around the ground.

Channel 7 can get stuffed , BT please do not call another Collingwood game and Bruce you try to hide your distain for our club but cannot help yourself i.e. the remark about the 44 point margin to fn Carlton. Then the pre game build up , they've got these 3 young guns , it's Boaky's 250th he's never lost a mile stone game , they've got Kochi blah blah blah ,
You know what F heads , they got smashed, Power outage in the first qtr , F off back to Adelaide with your tail between your legs , lucky it was a merciful killing by way of our poor goal kicking , lookout when we put 4 qtrs together, will be nice if its next week against the filth and good on the players for snubbing roaming Brian , the gimmick is getting loathsome just like his commentary, yeah I get it he was a club legend and all but I can not stand it how he wills opposition teams on just like that Dunstall fwit used too or that turd Andy Maher . Anyway rant over , keep it real Magpies kill 'em all .....

I tend to mute it all mate. Even when I listen to the radio.

Pretty much all jealousy. Bruce is from Adelaide. Lives there now. Jealousy is an understatement for 'Piggy' Dunstall, even with all his success. His Hawks are doing s**thouse. Andy Maher? Come on. He's irrelevant.

Did Kochi happen to mention the stock market? I have to keep track of my shares :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back