Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

If that's what you recruited him as you shouldn't have bothered recruiting him. 2015 was a long time ago.

Chad Wingard from Rounds 1-11 last year when played up forward: 69.8 ranking points per game
Chad Wingard from Rounds 12-23 when played in the middle: 102.75 ranking points per game
Chad Wingard up to Round 7 at Hawthorn playing up forward: 65 ranking points per game.

There was a time when he was a very good forward pocket. That time has passed.

SO what you are saying is we recruited a B+ midfielder?

Comparing a forward to a midfielder by ranking 'ranking points' is utterly pointless.

Wingard as a mid, is not in the top 30 mids in the competition.

Clarko has been on the record why he was recruited. It's nothing to do with not being fit enough to play through the middle.

Now, the real question is can he get back to his electric best as a high-half forward.I hope so.

edit: he was never a forward pocket but a high-half forward that worked up and back.

SO what you are saying is we recruited a B+ midfielder?

Comparing a forward to a midfielder by ranking 'ranking points' is utterly pointless.

Wingard as a mid, is not in the top 30 mids in the competition.

Clarko has been on the record why he was recruited. It's nothing to do with not being fit enough to play through the middle.

Now, the real question is can he get back to his electric best as a high-half forward.I hope so.

edit: he was never a forward pocket but a high-half forward that worked up and back.
Wingard numbers as a mid last year were AA level

Wingard numbers as a mid last year were AA level

Did he make the squad? No.

Check out his kicking efficiency last year if you are so enamoured with stats dude. Every bloody midfielder in the game gets almost 30 these days.

He was not recruited to play as a midfielder. Once more, Clarko is on record as saying that.

If we wanted a mid, we pony up and pay Shiel over Wingard. Shiel clearly a better mid.

It’s way too early to be writing his career off and declaring this trade as a bad one considering none of Gibson, Burgoyne, Hale, McEvoy, Frawley and O’Meara had much of an impact when they arrived at the club in year 1 and 2. It took them a little while to get going. I’m confident Wingard will find his rhythm eventually, but it needs to be as a midfielder which is where he can be a match winner.

Check out his kicking efficiency last year if you are so enamoured with stats dude. Every bloody midfielder in the game gets almost 30 these days.

He was not recruited to play as a midfielder. Once more, Clarko is on record as saying that.

If we wanted a mid, we pony up and pay Shiel over Wingard. Shiel clearly a better mid.
You don't make the squad on the back of half a season, we're paying 600k a year for Wingard not the million odd the drug cheats are paying can't hit a target Shiel.

You talk about kicking efficiency and then you say you should've picked up Dylan Shiel instead?

You paid more for Wingard than Essendon did for Shiel anyway, unless you consider Ryan Burton to be worth less than a second round to first round upgrade, which he absolutely isn't.

You talk about kicking efficiency and then you say you should've picked up Dylan Shiel instead?

You paid more for Wingard than Essendon did for Shiel anyway, unless you consider Ryan Burton to be worth less than a second round to first round upgrade, which he absolutely isn't.
Burton is worth around a later first round pick, Essendon gave up two top ten picks, Hawthorn gave up Burton, a late first round pick and a slight decrease of our third pick... how did we pay more?

Still too early to judge. But for me some really worrying signs are emerging.

1. The Chad is two and a bit season removed from that electric match-winner. There is no guarantee he gets back to it. I hope he does.

2. You don't need to be fit to fly with two hands.

3. You are seven rounds into a new club that courted you heavily. You should not be having senior players challenge you on the half-time siren.

On a side note, Burton has taken this trade personally and has been playing with far more intensity and aggression than he showed at HFC. I wish the Chad would start doing the same.

Burton played like a timid kitten last night.

2 top 10 picks?

Say what?

Well based on the live ladder you've given up 2 top 10 picks. What do you want to argue with? Yes your 2019 pick might be worse than that by season's end (or even round's end), but it isn't massively out of the question that you don't make the 8 given the evenness of the season. Is your issue the speculation on your 2019 pick position, or the fact that you also got back a GWS's 2019 second rounder (which looks likely to be a very late second rounder)?

Last edited:
Well based on the live ladder you've given up 2 top 10 picks. What do you want to argue with? Yes your 2019 pick might be worse than that by season's end (or even round's end), but it isn't massively out of the question that you don't make the 8 given the evenness of the season. Is your issue the speculation on your 2019 pick position, or the fact that you also got back a GWS's 2019 second rounder (which looks likely to be a very late second rounder)?
Well, both.

I mean, it's just wrong that's all. Essendon gave up pick 9, a future first, and received a future 2nd.

Even if that second first actually ends up being a top ten pick it's still an incorrect claim?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought his touches in the first and last could have been the difference.

It's easy to hate on him but even Breust is struggling with the current movement forward.

Given his preseason there's no reason to think he won't hit top gear at some stage this year.

Even if that second first actually ends up being a top ten pick it's still an incorrect claim?

Not really. "Gave up two top 10 picks" would be true. Yes it ignores the fact that you get back a second, but it would still be true that you'd given up two top 10 picks. You can argue you didn't lose two top 10 picks in total points value, but the reality would be you gave up the chance to go to the draft with two top 10 picks.

Given all the stuff said about Essendon on the Hawthorn board, you've picked an odd fight to fight on this one.

Not really. "Gave up two top 10 picks" would be true. Yes it ignores the fact that you get back a second, but it would still be true that you'd given up two top 10 picks. You can argue you didn't lose two top 10 picks in total points value, but the reality would be you gave up the chance to go to the draft with two top 10 picks.

Given all the stuff said about Essendon on the Hawthorn board, you've picked an odd fight to fight on this one.
No plans to fight about it and it isn't a big deal, was just a bit wtf is all

Well, both.

I mean, it's just wrong that's all. Essendon gave up pick 9, a future first, and received a future 2nd.

That future second will probably be in the 40s the way things are planning out.

Only early days but he was absolutely soft as butter yesterday, simply looks like he coasts and doesn't care enough.

His attitude is a massive concern for mine. We recruited him with significant knocks on his character and attitude. Nothing he has shown suggests he has matured.

The 'look at me' after the fantastic goal against North was fun and all, but had fair bit of figjam about it. Didn't think much of it at the time, but when you see our senior players frustrated with him yesterday it suggests his attitude remains a problem and that he is yet to have won the playing group over by his actions.

Might cop it, but I have reservations that he presented fit in the offseason and his calf injury was related to that.

His attitude is a massive concern for mine. We recruited him with significant knocks on his character and attitude. Nothing he has shown suggests he has matured.

The 'look at me' after the fantastic goal against North was fun and all, but had fair bit of figjam about it. Didn't think much of it at the time, but when you see our senior players frustrated with him yesterday it suggests his attitude remains a problem and that he is yet to have won the playing group over by his actions.

Might cop it, but I have reservations that he presented fit in the offseason and his calf injury was related to that.
The attitude is the most concerning bit, ive never questioned his talent. However i just question his work ethic and love of the game. He has said before he likes basketball more than footy. Seems like at times he doesnt care, he just needs to start doing to the little things righr. Eg going two hands for a mark, lay hard tackles in the fwd line

Only early days but he was absolutely soft as butter yesterday, simply looks like he coasts and doesn't care enough.
Was one thing i noticed. In and around packs he was just waiting for the easy ball out. Crunch in there and have a genuine crack, he was partly to blame for the ball getting out so easily.

No doubting clarko wanted him and was going to pay whatever it took

Seeing the difference between Wingards first half and second half were night and day. Imo I don’t think his fitness is as bad as some fans believe. After having a heated discussion with Poppy and Roughie at half time and Clarkson throwing him in the midfield got him working more.

I have watched him closely and he still hasn’t grasped the game plan entirely. Looks lost on transition and at times has been caught leading into other forwards space. I back him in to improve. I am sure he knows and Clarkson would highlight the ammount of times he doesn’t chase hard enough or when he does there isn’t many second or third efforts. Clarko wants him hitting the score board and if he can’t do that they will begin rolling him through the midfield to get his hands on the footy. I think he is improving every week and if we aren’t getting the effort required in four weeks time then I will be concerned. He had an interrupted preseason, and is learning new structures but imo is slowly stringing it together. He can turn a game on its head in five minutes and I think he will eventually start doing it. There are some senior players who have failed to show up all season who hasn’t been scrutinised anywhere near the Ammount Wingard has. It’s still early days and I am sure he will continue to improve to be the player we will have expected when recruited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back