Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Lake aside, none of our other successful recruits came to us with significant question marks over their attitude like Wingard has. Yes it is too early to judge his form, only because of pre-season injury, but he has done nothing for me to dispel the questions marks over his attitude. If anything, he is at risk of reinforcing them.

I hope he responds this week.

Is that the Hawthorn Football Club - Better Than Banter group?

I joined it a couple of months ago and unfollowed it after only a couple of weeks. Couldn't stand the massive knee jerk reactions not to mention the personal abuse dished to fellow supporters that dared to have an alternative view.

It's amazing to me that on a social platform that makes the poster so personally identifiable compared to say a forum like this, that people feel they can be bigger arseholes.

So true, I have had to argue with some front-runners this afternoon on the clubs FB page, as I stated that certain purported supporter comments show them up as downhill skiers hahhaha

The other FB page is 'lets talk Hawthorn' the melts start from the first bounce and they do not end until 2 days after the game.

Christ. He’s played 4 effing games in a side who’s patterns and structures are so effing different to the system he just played a decade in.
Needless to say our forward line entries have been diabolically bad.... Poppy & Bruest haven’t exactly set the world in fire yet.
All this talk about his “attitude” only surfaced once post season he had made his request to be traded clear.
You mob... seriously.
* me SS. This thread has been filled with bullshit. Can’t stand reading the Hawthorn board after a loss

Would just love to know what was said between him, rough and poppy. Poppy is an absolute jet who has used every bit of his talent and has worked his a** off in the process, and rough is a club legend that bleeds brown and gold.Maybe his inability to understand the game plan has a bit to do with him not running hard enough both ways.

Yes I'm a bit hard on the bloke a few games in but we gave a lot up for him pick wise, with other players not necessary costing as much

Is that the Hawthorn Football Club - Better Than Banter group?

I joined it a couple of months ago and unfollowed it after only a couple of weeks. Couldn't stand the massive knee jerk reactions not to mention the personal abuse dished to fellow supporters that dared to have an alternative view.

It's amazing to me that on a social platform that makes the poster so personally identifiable compared to say a forum like this, that people feel they can be bigger arseholes.

I’m that forum. There’s a lot of crap on it, and it’s tough work trying to get decent discussion.
No different to this board though, after a loss it can be pretty interesting reading on here

Hope he isn't homesick. Just doesn't seem like he is enjoying this at all(at this stage). He is trying to win us all over(team mates,coaches and fans) .. just play footy mate, forget the outside noise, go and get the footy and deliver on your talent.

Winning covers up a few things , when we lose , everything is questioned.

Talk of dropping the Chad is rubbish.
I thought he took the feedback well, and it was good of Puopolo to give it.
Grown men should be able to handle robust discussions about performance vs expectations.

He handled it really well, I think both the leaders and Chad handled it... I would love to see him play midfield, think him just getting his hands on the footy would be great for him and us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope he isn't homesick. Just doesn't seem like he is enjoying this at all(at this stage). He is trying to win us all over(team mates,coaches and fans) .. just play footy mate, forget the outside noise, go and get the footy and deliver on your talent.

Winning covers up a few things , when we lose , everything is questioned.

Adelaide is an hour away, American student athletes move away from home at 18 to go live on the other side of the country.. this home sick stuff makes me want to vomit.

Adelaide is an hour away, American student athletes move away from home at 18 to go live on the other side of the country.. this home sick stuff makes me want to vomit.

Agree what a load of crap homesickness is.. in an age of internet, facetime, skype, whatsapp etc etc...go back to 80`s 90`s kids at boarding school as a 12-13 yr old and you either wait a week for a letter or line up 10 deep at the gold (public) phone on a tuesday night after 9pm (because its cheap) to make a reverse charge call home and then it only lasts 5 min... in 2019 if your 18-25 ...old enough to drink, drive & vote but not adult enough to live a few hours flight away from home and earn a crap load of cash doing something you love.and still homesick....i would vomit too

Agree what a load of crap homesickness is.. in an age of internet, facetime, skype, whatsapp etc etc...go back to 80`s 90`s kids at boarding school as a 12-13 yr old and you either wait a week for a letter or line up 10 deep at the gold (public) phone on a tuesday night after 9pm (because its cheap) to make a reverse charge call home and then it only lasts 5 min... in 2019 if your 18-25 ...old enough to drink, drive & vote but not adult enough to live a few hours flight away from home and earn a crap load of cash doing something you love.and still homesick....i would vomit too

Chad would be on 700k... 25, in the prime of his life.. you’d like to think he is living everyday to make the most of his gift to set himself up for a lifetime.

Chad has had a couple of poor games. But its going around... I have only read the headline (not full article), but it seems Robbo is claiming the new big man at Richmond is in a slump and playing poorly at moment (1 goal from last 3 matches I think). Point is, new recruits can take a while to find their place. And half our side seems out of form right now...

Lake aside, none of our other successful recruits came to us with significant question marks over their attitude like Wingard has. Yes it is too early to judge his form, only because of pre-season injury, but he has done nothing for me to dispel the questions marks over his attitude. If anything, he is at risk of reinforcing them.

I hope he responds this week.

He is an immense talent who developed a bit of an attitude problem at Port which was exacerbated by Hinkley’s refusal or inability to nip it in the bud by disciplining him. Most of us were dumbfounded when he was told to explore his options at the end of last season. Clarkson will do what Hinkley couldn’t and get him back on track and you will reap the rewards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wingard is on record stating that away from football, he doesnt watch any other games, and has little interest in the game. This is a poor attitude and reflected in his last moments at Port. Going by the weekend roasting, by club leaders, Clarko or self motivation is not enough for Wingard. This could go downhill very quickly.

Wingard is on record stating that away from football, he doesnt watch any other games, and has little interest in the game. This is a poor attitude and reflected in his last moments at Port. Going by the weekend roasting, by club leaders, Clarko or self motivation is not enough for Wingard. This could go downhill very quickly.

Or go the other way. Was very good the week before v Carlton. Early days mate.

Take a straw poll my friend of AFL players and you will be staggered how many blokes are not “footy heads” away from the game.

Also, what of the public roasting of the joint PA captain at the weekend.

Shallow comment and double standards.

Just keep believing it will be a disaster.

Last edited:
Chad has had a couple of poor games. But its going around... I have only read the headline (not full article), but it seems Robbo is claiming the new big man at Richmond is in a slump and playing poorly at moment (1 goal from last 3 matches I think). Point is, new recruits can take a while to find their place. And half our side seems out of form right now...

Yep. Chad is the only one not getting a kick.

I think Chad's seeming lack of enjoyment might have something to do with the lack of delivery he's getting, and the fact that he is surrounded by opposition with no room to move when the ball finally does slowly make its way to his area.

Our forward 50 are working together very poorly at the moment, leading to the same spots and congesting the area. We have so many creative forwards that this space deprivation is a real problem. Chad is a culprit in this as well, which is fair enough considering he's new to the system.

The Adelaide game was proof that our forward line functions efficiently without Chad, and our midfield has had ongoing struggles in clearance situations where Chad is dynamic and creative. With Clarko's recent comments on changing things up, I would think that this is one outlet we'll look closely at.

Wingard to the middle, Burgoyne to the forward line and we're set.

This thread has turned into a stinking pile of s**t, and I can’t believe the amount of “supporters” who are both reading the crap in the media and piling into a new recruit when so many of our long-standing players have had ordinary starts to the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back