Scape Goat I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone chipping in $50-$100 would see him gone for good. Now that is great value for money.
Going by the responses people have gotton back from KT, Ken is not going away any time soon. He is saying to keep the faith lol.
Unfortunately the club is not hearing us, so the only way to force change will be not to attend games and/or not renew your membership.
I would not blame any one if they chose to do one or both of the above, at some point people want some value for their loyalty. This administration has split the supporter base and they say they listen to us but that is as flakey as hinkley's coaching.

I'm disappointed to lose, and usually very critical of Hinkley. But if you told me at the start of the game we would lose

*Burton 10 mins in

*get absolutely rimmed by the umpires with 4 goals from frees

*dominate clearances and win the inside 50s

*win alot of the ball against a team that generally chips it around all the time

And only lose by 20 points, with our youngest starting 22 in an AFL match since 1998.

We didn't do that bad, this Adelaide team is rubbish and finished, two more of our senior players in and we probably win tonight. We should have lost by 10+ goals tonight but we also never gave up. So much scope for improvement in this squad, we just need to recruit a few more key forwards.

Looking forward to Dougs being given some more time up forward in the next few weeks.

Yes we lost the Showdown and it hurts to lose against those wanks, but I can smell alot of Showdown success coming our way. All we need is a forward line that functions just as well as our defence and we will be very hard to beat

skinner conditioning. How it works is that yu make either some negative comment or personal insult and yu get a trillion likes. That reinforces the said behaviour and yu strive for some more outlandish, unsupportive, repitive comment and ye get even what more likes and so on. Its called footy skinner conditioning like maybe a drill and practice reward system. Quite addictive. And at the same time yu can CENSURE any alternative view.
I dont like hinkley. Give me likes!!!!

I'm usually very critical of Hinkley.

giphy.gif

Unlikey to win before the bounce. on way in ricuito said gooday and asked if i was confident, which i replied no and wished him a good call and he said it would be a good game. Solid overall effort from the team we fielded. No reason to complain. Had a couple of supporters behind who talked rubbish about anything other than footy, only complaint. Pity burton got injured as he was on his game v eddie.

Come on felllas. The positive poster is correct. This IS the Have Faith thread. At least allow those few remaining optimists a voice in this one.
Used to be my favourite thread...once.
I agree we were up against it very very few of us expected to win and Burton going down was massive, especially in the first few minutes. Just like Amon a few weeks back.

Not really a reply but some times the negativiy is a bit like a tantrum. The junior prim student chooses boxes in creative time. He builds a castle or what ever and it falls down which was not expected. They cant accept this and get rather emotional if yu take the drift.

I'm disappointed to lose, and usually very critical of Hinkley. But if you told me at the start of the game we would lose

*Burton 10 mins in

*get absolutely rimmed by the umpires with 4 goals from frees

*dominate clearances and win the inside 50s

*win alot of the ball against a team that generally chips it around all the time

And only lose by 20 points, with our youngest starting 22 in an AFL match since 1998.

We didn't do that bad, this Adelaide team is rubbish and finished, two more of our senior players in and we probably win tonight. We should have lost by 10+ goals tonight but we also never gave up. So much scope for improvement in this squad, we just need to recruit a few more key forwards.

Looking forward to Dougs being given some more time up forward in the next few weeks.

Yes we lost the Showdown and it hurts to lose against those wanks, but I can smell alot of Showdown success coming our way. All we need is a forward line that functions just as well as our defence and we will be very hard to beat
Understand what you are saying but this is not about losing a showdown.
This is an ongoing thing that has been ongoing since 2014. It's more about selections, no forward structures, kicking to pockets and poor skills. To top that off Ken has a bad habbit of praising the opposition rather then venting his disappointment in the group, stuff like they are a good side, we will make some mistakes but have fun doing it and so on.

Come on felllas. The positive poster is correct. This IS the Have Faith thread. At least allow those few remaining optimists a voice in this one.
Used to be my favourite thread...once.
I agree we were up against it very very few of us expected to win and Burton going down was massive, especially in the first few minutes. Just like Amon a few weeks back.

Explain 7 of the last 8 showdown losses with our full squad available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am baffled as to why it has taken our club so many years to try to sort out our accuracy inside fifty with absolutely no success. None of our tall forwards kicked a goal on sat night until Dougs came forward.
FiveAA interviewed Lokan tonight and said that
in the comp we are:
1st for inside 50 entries
1st for clearances
1st for contested possessions
1st for loose ball gets
16th for goal kicking

#operationgetcameron

I am baffled as to why it has taken our club so many years to try to sort out our accuracy inside fifty with absolutely no success. None of our tall forwards kicked a goal on sat night until Dougs came forward.
FiveAA interviewed Lokan tonight and said that
in the comp we are:
1st for inside 50 entries
1st for clearances
1st for contested possessions
1st for loose ball gets
16th for goal kicking

#operationgetcameron

I have found in life that 99%+ of people don't fundamentally change, they just finesse around the edges. The reasons that cause some people to make fundamental change are usually death of someone close to them or near death experience to themselves, birth and becoming a parent, or alcohol/drug addiction.

In 2014 either when we were 10-1 or after that 4pt loss to Sydney and went to 10-2 there was a graphic of several KPI's for all the teams on the AFL website, and we were first for inside 50's and 8th for conversion for inside 50. Nothing has fundamentally changed over 5 years because Hinkley hasn't fundamentally changed.

I've mentioned several times before that Hardwick talked both before and after the 2017 GF that he said he had to change to get the best out of his side. In a post in the 2017 GF game day thread after the the GF, I quoted an article from Harwick's press conference before the GF, explaining how he had changed.

I then wrote this -
Nelson Mandela was in Sydney a week or so before the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and attended a Sydney University seminar called "What Makes a Champion" put on by Professor Alan Snyder of the Centre for the Mind. Also speaking was Sir Edmund Hillary, Nobel prize winning medical research Peter Doherty, Herb Elliot and others. Nelson said the following about change which has always stuck with me.

"One of the most difficult things is not so much to change society, but to change ourselves. Only when you can overcome the difficulty of changing yourself can you change the people around you."

Dimma did a Nelson and had the courage to change himself, so that he could help change others. Can Ken do that? I don't know, but I hope he can. But we wont know and it will all be in the background for us, just like it was for the average Richmond fan this season. We have to wait and see what happens on field, because we wont be in the inner sanctum to see if that change occurs.

We haven't changed the fundamental way we deliver the ball inside 50 for 5 years and our coach hasn't changed his thinking on this. Hasn't changed the fundamental structure of our forward line.

Our coach has finessed around the edges. We aren't going anywhere much until we make fundamental change re our forward line entries and forward line structure/personnel.

Last edited:
We've been incredibly inefficient going forward since Schulz left. In Schulz we had someone who was a master at making space and leading inventively depending on the individual situation.

Ever since we got Dixon, we've just been a 1990's kick and hope team. Probably not by design, but it's infected the entire playing group. Wingard was terrible at it the last two years and even though Dixon isn't out there, we haven't changed much. Kick long inside 50, hope for the best.

People can rightly complain about Hinkley, but Basset wrecked our backline last year and has gone some way to wrecking our forward line this year too.

That's because its round 8 played.
Who did Bassett play for again ? Ans : Norwood 4 years and Crows 10 years : norwood coach 4 years.
In the current AFL, which two teams has the greatest rivalry.?
Which two teams in the SANFL have the biggest rivalry.?

Bassett is at Port for the money, absolutely. But i for one, would question his loyalty. He gets paid the same no matter what the result.
His entire football history prior to Port Adelaide was with two (,not one but both) arch rivals of the PAFC.

Hello - does any one else smell the coffee. Maybe i should apologise but I can't accept or understand why we would allow a past player from that mob, AND that mob, into the engine room of our playing group and g-d forbid, the inner sanctum of the club. Insanity.

Maybe im just cynical or suspicious or both - age can do that to a person.
But I'm not apologising g for it

I have found in life that people don't fundamentally change, they just finesse around the edges. The reasons that cause some people to make fundamental change are usually death of someone close to them or near death experience to themselves, birth and becoming a parent, or alcohol/drug addiction.

In 2014 either when we were 10-1 or after that 4pt loss to Sydney and went to 10-2 there was a graphic of several KPI's for all the teams on the AFL website, and we were first for inside 50's and 8th for conversion for inside 50. Nothing has fundamentally changed over 5 years because Hinkley hasn't fundamentally changed.

I've mentioned several times before that Hardwick talked both before and after the 2017 GF that he said he had to change to get the best out of his side. In a post in the 2017 GF game day thread after the the GF, I quoted an article from Harwick's press conference before the GF, explaining how he had changed.

I then wrote this -
Nelson Mandela was in Sydney a week or so before the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and attended a Sydney University seminar called "What Makes a Champion" put on by Professor Alan Snyder of the Centre for the Mind. Also speaking was Sir Edmund Hillary, Nobel prize winning medical research Peter Doherty, Herb Elliot and others. Nelson said the following about change which has always stuck with me.

"One of the most difficult things is not so much to change society, but to change ourselves. Only when you can overcome the difficulty of changing yourself can you change the people around you."

Dimma did a Nelson and had the courage to change himself, so that he could help change others. Can Ken do that? I don't know, but I hope he can. But we wont know and it will all be in the background for us, just like it was for the average Richmond fan this season. We have to wait and see what happens on field, because we wont be in the inner sanctum to see if that change occurs.

We haven't changed the fundamental way we deliver the ball inside 50 for 5 years and our coach hasn't changed his thinking on this. Hasn't changed the fundamental structure of our forward line.

Our coach has finessed around the edges. We aren't going anywhere much until we make fundamental change re our forward line entries and forward line structure/personnel.

That is one awesome comment. Brilliant actually.
Thanks for posting it. Post of the week award.

People have every right to support it if they want, and I'll make my decision based on my own circumstances, though, rather than because of a campaign. For me, I'll continue to renew because I still love the club and, more practically, I have great seats which I'd rather not lose. I maintained my membership through some really crap years before so, for now, I'll carry on. That doesn't mean I'm a loser and that I'm content with the current situation either, but coaches and administration come and go, always have and always will, but the club is constant.

Fair enough. I do understand your pisition. Yes coaches, and players, and administrators come and go, but the club is constant. ...... Intersting. You might want to define the word "club".

Your comment implies you will be doing nothing because nothing is required of you to be done.
Whatever changes that occur within the club are OK with you. Whatever damage is done to the club name, its culture, its legacy to the next generation is also OK with you because ... you have got a good seat.

The club is not constant.. Just the name is. The culture within the club and player group has IMO dramastically changed over a very short period of time and by those in authority. Club traditon has even been attacked and deposed of for NO reason and so effortlessly. Only financial members can hold those in positions of authority within the club to account for thier actions. As financial embers, it is our right and duty to do so. Each person should do what is appropriate for them to support the tradition and honour of the club they also love so that the club is not an unrecognizable entity n future years. One of the best things we can leave our children, and grand children and every man and his dog, is a community and traditional Port Adelaide Football Club (both AFL and SANFL)

There are only three types of people in the world

1. Those that make things happen
2. Those who watch things happen
3. Those who wonder what happened.

Please don't get me wrong, Janey. Of course you should keep your seat if you wish to keep hold of something that can be passed onto children, grand children, friends or whoever. I don't have such tickets (unreserved member). If \ when ttime comes, being meek IMO, is not an option. Other actions can be considered if a person feels strong enough about them. Every person is valid. If anyone did nothing, nothing will change : except the Port Adelaide Football Club. My concern is great numbersmof members are not aware that we are actuallynin a critical stage in the clubs history not because of wins or loses duringnthebseason, but because of current leadership and current head coach, both of which are redefining what it is to be Port Adelaide. They do not have a mandate to do so .
If you think differently, fine - your view is also valid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back