• 38: Noah Balta

• 42: Ryan Garthwaite

• 44: Sydney Stack

• 48: Liam Baker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks my opinion of Shai Bolton has changed based on this game too. I could see why you guys got him with a 1st rounder.

I knew he had talent. But didn't have the endurance last season. Hence why he played a few games in the seniors last year and year before last season.

Now he has the tank to run out 4 quarters. Yes I saw him dash and score that goal with a dodge/side step.
Not a bad point about our players tanks. The young ones seemed to play out the game well. Although we did let Freo get a few late goals.

Last edited:

Soldo seems your best bet. with a few minutes of backup from Balta to give him a rest.
Still risky as you don't want Balta to get injured rucking. (He's a handy utility with your injuries.)
Always had that concern when I saw Grigg and Riewoldt rucking too.

Choi is still too green.

I was actually trying to get the views from others on your board re how you cover the loss of Nankervis.
Balta can play either end of the ground. What about Soldo? Can he rest up forward?

Hawks was my main concern.
I think you can cover Bellchambers with your mids sharking the ball. Not as good a tap ruck as Mcevoy.
How far away is Cotchin from returning?

Anyway, I'm intruding and obviously I have upset a few (without intending too)

BTW THE_GUN - I wasn't ********ting you re the memberships or Save our Skin - it was a long time ago... BTW I still have my own teeth too:D(see)
roachee - Your posts - always angry. Chill. I come in peace.
please keep intruding, we don’t get enough measured external views here and it’s always interesting to see the variation of opinion.

There’s no doubt our ruck cupboard is bare and we will have to switch our around the ground tactics. Soldo’s probably playing for his career this stint, so it will be interesting to a) see how he has developed, and b) see how he compares to nank in his first genuine run at first ruck.

Yeah I'm very interested to see how Soldo performs, presuming he gets selected. I think he's actually a Queanbeyan boy who, not surprisingly, spent a heap of his youth playing basketball. I've chatted to his uncle, whose son plays junior soccer in Canberra, a number of times about Ivan's development. The family view when Ivan started playing for us was that Ivan needed to work harder if he was to make it to AFL standard. Given his recent VFL form, it seems he is doing just that. Hopefully he takes his opportunity and simply competes honestly for every moment of the four quarters.

Same here too...said player management was going to be the big thing to carrying us to B2B...saw very little of it and the B2B!
And i thought Both Hardwick and Balme would have realized how important player management is in playing for B2B GFs with their stays at clubs that challenged mutiple times for GFs!...but i saw very little of it! Nadaaa...
Currently the Club and Coaches are now having to learn all about player management with our serious number of player injuries, we get through this i reckon the coaches will now how to use player management as a serious weapon/strategy from now on...
I understand it's hard to tamper with winning form and no one wants to really change anything when your winning in case of fecking up...but!
We are talking long season (in our case 2 seasons!)...and players' bodies that slowly accumulate soft tissue injuries that need resting...
So currently player management is being forced on the side through current injuries...
I hope the Club/Coaches are not timid in learning how to use it big time as a weapon/strategy!
We blew the B2B. Had Garth been given even 6 games during the year, he may have been picked in the prelim team. Lloyd for Graham? Sure. Dusty you can't really replace. One upside of 2018 was we didn't lose too much good talent. Lloyd & Conca are both going OK. Miles is getting a game at least. The other upside is the development of Baker, Bolton, Balta, The way these guys have been able to step up to AFL level has saved us. I expect Soldo, CCJ, Naish & Egg to be similarly fit, developed and ready to go. Even Menadue is getting a game and keeping his place. Good list management with SS, Ross, RCD etc. joining the club and all looking like they are capable. The next issue is how well the injured players play when they return to senior level. Its not always a smooth transition for them.

thanks my opinion of Shai Bolton has changed based on this game too. I could see why you guys got him with a 1st rounder.

I knew he had talent. But didn't have the endurance last season. Hence why he played a few games in the seniors last year and year before last season.

Now he has the tank to run out 4 quarters. Yes I saw him dash and score that goal with a dodge/side step.
Hmm. Not sure pick 29 is a first rounder.....

However (hopefully not) we might lose him for a first rounder (or two)!!

You lost?
Nearly, but managed to kick the last 5 goals against a desperate Blues side and got up for a 19 point win.
Unlike your side, no doubt at all about the win over Freo given the way you played.

Oh? You mean on here.
No, I'm on BigFooty having a discussion about football.
Not trolling, just showing an interest in a gutsy Richmond side dealing with the adversity of injuries and still toughing out wins.
If you want an insight into Richmond, where better than visiting the Richmond board.
Not trolling, trying to be respectful and have a genuine conversation about your team (who I refuse to write off BTW)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm. Not sure pick 29 is a first rounder.....

However (hopefully not) we might lose him for a first rounder (or two)!!
Something tells me we won't be losing this guy anytime soon.

This week's unsung hero
http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/unsung-heroes-round-8-3/
Richmond: Noah Balta

When Toby Nankervis went down with a game-ending groin injury against Fremantle, Richmond were in dire need of a ruckman. In just his seventh game of football and giving up more than 10cm to Rory Lobb, 19-year-old Noah Balta took on the role. It was a hard-fought effort against Lobb but Balta won 12 hit-outs of his own and finished the game with 13 disposals and a goal.
Love it. Not worthy of a rising star nomination though.
And Bolton makes AFL.com team of the week. Also not worthy of a Rising Star nomination. I am still looking for the Geelong kid in that team....

as usual Nothing to see here.....

bellis went back near the end of the game (prob due to injuries/rotations and the game was over anyway) but he had some absolute shockers just in that 15 mins. it's so good having him up on the wing playing good footy recently, i hope we never send him back when a game's on the line
Do you think it's a mental thing with him when he goes back? Because he's a completely different player when he's on the wing!

Nearly, but managed to kick the last 5 goals against a desperate Blues side and got up for a 19 point win.
Unlike your side, no doubt at all about the win over Freo given the way you played.

Oh? You mean on here.
No, I'm on BigFooty having a discussion about football.
Not trolling, just showing an interest in a gutsy Richmond side dealing with the adversity of injuries and still toughing out wins.
If you want an insight into Richmond, where better than visiting the Richmond board.
Not trolling, trying to be respectful and have a genuine conversation about your team (who I refuse to write off BTW)

Any chance we can borrow Grundy for a few games until Nank is back? :p

Serously though, I actually think Soldo will offer us more from a ruck tap perspective than Nank, so it will be interesting to see if our centre clearance numbers go up or not.

its the around the ground stuff that we will miss the most.

The thing is all they have to say is, everyone keeps saying the player wasnt hurt, played on didnt even go off the field, yet Grimes, graham and dusty didnt get that discretion.

CORRECT ..... for us it was about the LOOK of the game ... and sending wrong message to the kids .... campaigners

Serously though, I actually think Soldo will offer us more from a ruck tap perspective than Nank, so it will be interesting to see if our centre clearance numbers go up or not.

I don't think we will, half the time i forget Nank is even on the ground that's how much we don't rely on Nank unlike pies with Grundy, if they lost him for 6-8 weeks they would suffer badly IMO such is their reliance on him in that position.

All we want out of our ruck is to compete, we don't need them to be matchwinners for us to win games.

Agreed.
Nank is a tough bastard who always gives a contest but knows his craft and where to position himself around the ground.
Shame he is injured, been playing well this year.

Its been interesting that Richmond have not acquired an elite ruck in recent years.
I remember the days of dominant Richmond rucks like the General tapping it down to the Flea and the opposition would get no respite as you would have Cloke coming on as second ruck doing the bullocking work and wearing them down.

No chance on Grundy obviously. He's a beauty isn't he?... and with his ground handling skills is well suited to the new 6-6-6 rule in AFL.
(oops - edit - note to self - must stop the 'isn't he' questioning - dont want to sound like Bruuce.)

Last edited:
If Nank was only out for a week I'd do this. But its not sustainable for 2 months

Which is why you could try it for a week or two and see what happens.

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

Our mobility seemed to go to another level with Balta and Broad in tandem when Nank went down and its a set-up worth exploring like with Townsend in 2017 to assist the teams development and competitiveness.

Arguably the current team mix with Garthwaite as an inclusion instead of Soldo could be a stronger combination. Like you suggested one of the other rucks will have to come in to provide a break and offer a different match-up set-up so I think its worthwhile based on form versus Freo to explore the option and get more development into Garthwaite to. If the likes of a Soldo comes in naturally Broad goes back, does this affect our run and mobility to much, and we have to send Garthwaite back to the twos??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back