Autopsy Round 9, 2019: Swans vs Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a couple of brave efforts in the last couple of weeks, maybe not bravedogs level brave because the druggies and norf are average, but still, positive signs given it’s the least experienced side we’ve fielded in years.

Relative to game time? Jack has not had a good game since 2016. When he gets the ball, he butchers it. He's a champ from a begone era.

Not the point.
Blind freddy can see Jack is a shadow of his best.
But there are still valid reasons to play him in the seniors. Just as there are valid reasons to persist with the kids even when they have a low impact game.

Been a couple of brave efforts in the last couple of weeks, maybe not bravedogs level brave because the druggies and norf are average, but still, positive signs given it’s the least experienced side we’ve fielded in years.
I think it's clear the next handful of games are "stand up & claim your spot" territory for a fair few. The options to change things up, move the "deadwood" on (bad term but best I can think of) & build our next side to push for a premiership will be this season. IMO the guys who stand up when the chips are down will be the guys who the club will trust to lead us when we are back up again.

It's exciting. Time for the club to build around the strengths of the next 5 years instead of the last 5.

I think it's clear the next handful of games are "stand up & claim your spot" territory for a fair few. The options to change things up, move the "deadwood" on (bad term but best I can think of) & build our next side to push for a premiership will be this season. IMO the guys who stand up when the chips are down will be the guys who the club will trust to lead us when we are back up again.

It's exciting. Time for the club to build around the strengths of the next 5 years instead of the last 5.

I think nearly everyone who would need to claim a spot has already done so haven’t they? Dawson, McCartin, Papley, Florent, Melican, Aliir etc.

The exceptions are Thurlow, Clarke, COR and Fox who are by no means cemented in the 22, although they have also shown signs of improvement.

Didn’t bother including Blakey or Rowbottom as I’m not sure any draftee is under any pressure to get a spot this year.

The one that is a little adrift at the moment is Ronke...

I think nearly everyone who would need to claim a spot has already done so haven’t they? Dawson, McCartin, Papley, Florent, Melican, Aliir etc.

The exceptions are Thurlow, Clarke, COR and Fox who are by no means cemented in the 22, although they have also shown signs of improvement.

Didn’t bother including Blakey or Rowbottom as I’m not sure any draftee is under any pressure to get a spot this year.

The one that is a little adrift at the moment is Ronke...
I'm more kind of thinking "in the next 5 years"... i.e. what are we going to look like moving forward? Do we think they can hack it? Are they worth persisting with? ... because I think we may be more ruthless than we otherwise might've been in the coming year or so (as we have a chance to be - we aren't focused on the here & now as much).

In terms of this year, I'm looking at things like should we play Hewy in & under or keep him tagging (which we all agree is now settled I think)... or should we put Mills/Heens/Paps in the middle... Does Fox fit? Where? ... Are we going to structure ourselves with Blakey roaming or staying forward? Etc etc.

All these huge questions to be settled on BEFORE we make our next push.

No making it up in a few years... Figure it out this year. Agree on the way forward & stick to it. Commit to it. Build around the decisions we make this year. Start now but looking toward 3 years from now... Play guys where we need them & where we will get the best benefit in 2 or 3 years time. Not just this week or next.

14:02 left in the 3rd quarter Florrent didn't automatically hand pass backwards into trouble. He thought maybe I'm not actually under pressure and he wasn't! Just a little thing I've noticed we were all just handballing instantly when we took possession and 3 handballs later it was a turnover. Great win by the boys tonight!

I'm more kind of thinking "in the next 5 years"... i.e. what are we going to look like moving forward? Do we think they can hack it? Are they worth persisting with? ... because I think we may be more ruthless than we otherwise might've been in the coming year or so (as we have a chance to be - we aren't focused on the here & now as much).

In terms of this year, I'm looking at things like should we play Hewy in & under or keep him tagging (which we all agree is now settled I think)... or should we put Mills/Heens/Paps in the middle... Does Fox fit? Where? ... Are we going to structure ourselves with Blakey roaming or staying forward? Etc etc.

All these huge questions to be settled on BEFORE we make our next push.

No making it up in a few years... Figure it out this year. Agree on the way forward & stick to it. Commit to it. Build around the decisions we make this year. Start now but looking toward 3 years from now... Play guys where we need them & where we will get the best benefit in 2 or 3 years time. Not just this week or next.

Couldn’t agree more. We need to use this season where we’re uneven and unlikely to do any major damage to put the pieces in place for our next flag-contending side. It means persisting with youth, but also turning to the NEAFL for answers instead of the old, familiar faces of our champions. That may mean bringing in Stoddart instead of McVeigh when he recovers from his injuries. Or continuing to give Rowbottom a go over Jack, or even Ronke or Wicks or Bell over Jack. Or, if the time comes where we need to sacrifice a tall in the forward half, dropping Reid instead of McCartin or Blakey or Dawson.

Question is, is Horse willing to do these things?

We had 9 players with 20 pressure acts or over last night. Our best prior this season was 5 in round one and 4 a couple of times including last week. Given Jones was on 13 when he got injured that could have easily been 10.

Kudos to Rowbottom who had the second most with 30 suggesting whilst he didn’t impact much which the footy, his work off the ball was pretty good.

Other low possession players also contributed in this area in Hayward (24 - 10 disposals), Blakey (22 - 8 disposals) and Reid (21 - 9 disposals).

Hewett led the way with 32 (also led clearances for us with 9, 6 of which were centre clearances).

We had 9 players with 20 pressure acts or over last night. Our best prior this season was 5 in round one and 4 a couple of times including last week. Given Jones was on 13 when he got injured that could have easily been 10.

Kudos to Rowbottom who had the second most with 30 suggesting whilst he didn’t impact much which the footy, his work off the ball was pretty good.

Other low possession players also contributed in this area in Hayward (24 - 10 disposals), Blakey (22 - 8 disposals) and Reid (21 - 9 disposals).

Hewett led the way with 32 (also led clearances for us with 9, 6 of which were centre clearances).

My god Hewett was ******* brilliant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was Hewett tagging last night? If so how he got 32 disposals is beyond me.

Either way Hewett is looking like our Kennedy replacement.

Nope, he was fully unleashed. Even more so than the Brisbane game where he had a marginal run-with role on Neale. He’s a gun and looked twice as clean and composed as his skipper

I coach juniors (very juniors). There's a kid who can't find the ball, can't much kick, and can only kind of handball. But if I want to change gears in our favour and put my best midfield together, I always put him in. The reason is he's the best at causing the opposition to turn the ball over.

I like McCartin and am very excited about his future. But how many pressure acts did he have last night? 14? His best ever. Tackles? 0.

Not surprising re Rowbottom. He worked his arse off, even more impressive considering he looked absolutely knackered half way through the second quarter. He is a really tricky case atm as he thoroughly deserves his chance in the senior team but just not sure it’s best for him. Or the team.

Love how our young talls give their absolute all though. McCartin and Blakey just seem to be hungry whenever they’re near it. They are good at making their own luck and this is why. Keep your feet, keep your eyes on the ball, keep yourself involved. Not often you see that in big blokes. Oh hey Daniher, didn’t see you there!

Hewett has always been a pretty good kick as well. I mean he doesn't have the sort of kick that is super penetrating but his kicking usually gets the job done.

On both sides too, rarely commodity at the Swans.

Anything to say now Wolfgang West?

Anything in particular you want me to say ? Do you want me to say they are not tanking ? Do you want me to agree with all the apologists on this Board, You being one of them, that never allow anything negative to be said about the club without responding with pontificating judgemental tripe ? Because You will be waiting a while. Do me a favour just worry about how many likes you can give your apologist cronies rather than trying to be a smart **** because if we are going down that track you won't win.

Hewett has always been a pretty good kick as well. I mean he doesn't have the sort of kick that is super penetrating but his kicking usually gets the job done.

Yep agree but most importantly he’s strong on his feet and through the hips (like JPK) and very composed under pressure (unlike Parker). No reason he can’t be as good as them.

I thought last night was a spirited win

It’s hard in a way because I do enjoy in a perverse sense letting north get close and breaking their heart

But selfishly be nice to run over them non stop like the second

But we looked a bit stuffed early and rallied hard

Every youngster had a moment just about even Clarke and thurlow did some ok things

Not to compare them because I like both but mccartin looks like a real potentially good forward but they sometimes go either way could be a great or just always that potentially good player

Blakey looks to me like he was a bit of swagger and flash and real footy smarts , reminds me of a young raw buddy or Goodes. Looks a star to me

Watching those guys be instrumental in a win away from home kennedy our best mid out late hewett standing up that’s very satisfying

All I meant was it’s nice to play other building sides and see well ok we may not be a contender but how quick will we emerge from
Other developing sides

Just nice to see wins
Spot on King.
I wasn't actually going crook at you but encouraging the more positive version of how events unfolded last night considering how we all first felt when hearing of Kennedy being a late out for Clarke.
Turned out a treat actually when it could have been nasty for us all.

Not surprising re Rowbottom. He worked his arse off, even more impressive considering he looked absolutely knackered half way through the second quarter. He is a really tricky case atm as he thoroughly deserves his chance in the senior team but just not sure it’s best for him. Or the team.

He sure is. Just not quite there yet. Needs to work on his outside game however moreso at senior level he doesn’t totally commit himself to the contest yet when given the opportunity. Doesn’t throw himself at the footy quite yet. That is likely confidence as much as anything else and not at all a shot at him.

He sure is. Just not quite there yet. Needs to work on his outside game however moreso at senior level he doesn’t totally commit himself to the contest yet when given the opportunity. Doesn’t throw himself at the footy quite yet. That is likely confidence as much as anything else and not at all a shot at him.

Agree 100%, which is why it’s so tricky to know the best way forward with him this year. He deserves his chance, but belongs in the NEAFL. He needs confidence in himself at the highest level and to get used to the standards required at the highest level, but how can he do that if he’s not playing at the highest level? Damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don’t kinda situation really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back