No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got my cynical goggles on today. McGowan is the journo from afl house who's been stationed at the Hawks this season. Last year it was Ash Browne. Writing positive stories about us keeps them onside with the club and therefore likely to receive inside mail for future articles. That's fine.

He makes some salient points about the role Burton played, Scrimshaw performing a similar job (an opinion shared by many on this board) and the current state of our forward line. He's right. Our back 6 is easily our strongest line. That said, taking a position that it was the right move to bring Wingard in regardless of whether he recaptures his AA form is crazy talk ("However it ends up, it was the right call' is the final line of the article).

To the contrary, precisely how it ends up will determine whether it was the right call. Like I said previously, I think Wingard will prove his worth but if he doesn't it's a calamitous trade for us given the abundance of talent in last year's draft.

In short I liked the article until the final line. I thought that sentence undermined almost everything that came before it.

Agreed. It doesn't touch on the cultural imapct this had on "the family club" either. It's very un-Hawthorn to trade someone away who is happy.

We 'paid' a lot for Wingard and so far it has delivered nothing. He will need to have a very good next 3 - 4 years to justify the trade.

Brendan Goddard wrote another s**t article about the Hawks this morning. Questioned Hawthorn’s lack of quality youth (typical line of a salty * supporter ) As if Essendon’s are any better lol.

He then somehow had either the audacity or sheer stupidity to say that “James Worpel burst onto the scene and looked as if he could provide that next-generation spark, but his development has stalled”. DEVELOPMENT HAS STALLED?!?!

Maybe he’s just salty because Worpel is already way better than Mcgrath
Just came across this one - add it to the pile of anti-Hawks horseshit flowing from the clowns in the AFL media, who are lapping up our struggles with glee. The oft-repeated theme is that Hawthorn have ****ed up by not bottoming out, but what exactly are we doing this season? Clearly this is the trough of Hawthorn's downswing, but there's no analysis of how the Hawks are poised to bounce back, instead everyone just piles on, saying the Hawks are going to be mired at the bottom of the ladder for the forseeable future and there's no chance of upside.

Not once have I seen it written in any of these hit pieces that we're missing our best player, who also happens to be the best midfielder in the AFL.

Almost makes me glad I live in Perth and don't have to cop this s**t on a daily basis.

Just came across this one - add it to the pile of anti-Hawks horses**t flowing from the clowns in the AFL media, who are lapping up our struggles with glee. The oft-repeated theme is that Hawthorn have f’ed up by not bottoming out, but what exactly are we doing this season? Clearly this is the trough of Hawthorn's downswing, but there's no analysis of how the Hawks are poised to bounce back, instead everyone just piles on, saying the Hawks are going to be mired at the bottom of the ladder for the forseeable future and there's no chance of upside.

Not once have I seen it written in any of these hit pieces that we're missing our best player, who also happens to be the best midfielder in the AFL.

Almost makes me glad I live in Perth and don't have to cop this s**t on a daily basis.

Point being, essendon have apparently done the recommended rebuild

He's responded.

I agree with Goddard on his response, I think Worpel will be a 200 gamer but I'm also not sure he'll be an A grader.

His initial statement was bullshit though, he hasn't stalled at all, and what BG said in his response his how he should have worded his original statement.

I agree with Goddard on his response, I think Worpel will be a 200 gamer but I'm also not sure he'll be an A grader.

His initial statement was bulls**t though, he hasn't stalled at all, and what BG said in his response his how he should have worded his original statement.
I've never expected Worpel to be an A grader. Of coarse you hope that he'll become one but I think the term 'A grader' gets thrown around way too much. To me an A grader is your Mitchell, Dangerfield, Cripps, Bont, Martin, Pendlebury etc. Then you have your Liam Shiel type B grader which if Worpel becomes then its no knock to him whatsoever. that's not saying he won't become an A grader but the kid is in year 2 of his professional career.

Thing is, he’d probably rates McGrath as elite and heading towards A grade status
Worpel is tracking well, and ahead of most around him in the draft

I rate McGrath as a player as much as I rate Blake Hardwick, good player but heavily overhyped due to being a no 1 pick and the media agenda pushing everything positive about Essendon since they got suspended for attempting to cheat.

I've never expected Worpel to be an A grader. Of coarse you hope that he'll become one but I think the term 'A grader' gets thrown around way too much. To me an A grader is your Mitchell, Dangerfield, Cripps, Bont, Martin, Pendlebury etc. Then you have your Liam Shiel type B grader which if Worpel becomes then its no knock to him whatsoever. that's not saying he won't become an A grader but the kid is in year 2 of his professional career.

B+ grader like brad sewell?. Tbh hell be at least as good as jordan lewis, who was also good from debut

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In his second year of football Worpel is averaging 25 disposals, 5 tackles and 3 marks. He’s doing this without the support of Mitchell.

In the year old mate Goddard claims he ‘burst onto the scene’ he was averaging 17.6 disposals per game, 4 tackles and 2 marks. So he’s increased his output across every metric while shouldering an increased load. Now I may have the average intelligence of a monkey, but I’m pretty sure this suggests improvement.

In addition, what actually defines an A grade player? I’ve chosen Dyson Heppell for comparison because I believe it’s feasible Goddard may argue he’s A grade (my own beliefs aside). Heppell is averaging 27 disposals, 3 tackles and 5.6 marks in an environment where he’s receiving more support. That isn’t much better than Worps.
Worpel has also hit the scoreboard more regularly.

Using this as a guide Worpel is already a B+ grade player. In his second year. The lowest you could argue is that he is currently a B grade. So does Goddard believe natural improvement won’t occur?

There is no way Goddard doesn’t look idiotic by making this argument. His argument is basically ‘I think he’s stalled, and although the stats don’t back me up I’m entitled to publish my opinion on why Hawthorn suck’. He’s made this argument in an article where it is hardly relevant. He has to then defend himself on Twitter because his article was poorly written, and his thought process was even poorer. He chose to focus on clickbait for relevancy.

Up yours EEEBD420-12A8-4B2F-B73B-8DF5CB6BF6F2.jpeg

In his second year of football Worpel is averaging 25 disposals, 5 tackles and 3 marks. He’s doing this without the support of Mitchell.

In the year old mate Goddard claims he ‘burst onto the scene’ he was averaging 17.6 disposals per game, 4 tackles and 2 marks. So he’s increased his output across every metric while shouldering an increased load. Now I may have the average intelligence of a monkey, but I’m pretty sure this suggests improvement.

In addition, what actually defines an A grade player? I’ve chosen Dyson Heppell for comparison because I believe it’s feasible Goddard may argue he’s A grade (my own beliefs aside). Heppell is averaging 27 disposals, 3 tackles and 5.6 marks in an environment where he’s receiving more support. That isn’t much better than Worps.

Using this as a guide Worpel is already a B+ grade player. In his second year. The lowest you could argue is that he is currently a B grade. So does Goddard believe natural improvement won’t occur?

There is no way Goddard doesn’t look idiotic by making this argument. His argument is basically ‘I think he’s stalled, and although the stats don’t back me up I’m entitled to publish my opinion on why Hawthorn suck’. He’s made this argument in an article where it is hardly relevant. He has to then defend himself on Twitter because his article was poorly written, and his thought process was even poorer. He chose to focus on clickbait for relevancy.

Up yours View attachment 703114

Worpels improvement this year has surprised me a little. I thought that he would have some form slumps during the year, but no. He doesn't get the media recognition he deserves.

Clearly we don't have to worry about his hunger. He is proving to be a self motivated and driven footballer.

If Worpel had played just one game less last year he'd be eligible for the Rising Star award this year and would be about equal favourite with Walsh for the award right now. That alone would emphasise just how young he still is and comparisons would be with players from around his own age.

Instead he gets chucked into a bucket with the rest of the league. But even then he's still performing amongst the better midfielders in the game - not just for his age/experience - but period.

Anyway, enough screen space has been wasted on that Goddard campaigner.

Brendan Goddard wrote another s**t article about the Hawks this morning. Questioned Hawthorn’s lack of quality youth (typical line of a salty * supporter ) As if Essendon’s are any better lol.

He then somehow had either the audacity or sheer stupidity to say that “James Worpel burst onto the scene and looked as if he could provide that next-generation spark, but his development has stalled”. DEVELOPMENT HAS STALLED?!?!

Maybe he’s just salty because Worpel is already way better than Mcgrath
And Goddard

Worpels improvement this year has surprised me a little. I thought that he would have some form slumps during the year, but no. He doesn't get the media recognition he deserves.

Clearly we don't have to worry about his hunger. He is proving to be a self motivated and driven footballer.
He is a 20 year old kid playing a key role in a midfield where he is getting minimal support due to our midfield depth. Not hiding in a pocket or flank like most other 2 year players get .

I think his performance so far has been exceptional given the circumstance

That's a bold call IMO, tipping you probably underrate Jordan Lewis.

Im remembering lewis first few games. He set a standard he built on over his career. That is why Im comparing.. Worps is a beautiful mover in traffic though when his energy levels are up.(but we all know that) hes more silk like there

On 360 im just seeing the winmar statue in perth wrapped in black plastic, waiting to be unveiled

Surely they could have done something different it looks like there should be a couple of burning crosses nearby

Up yours View attachment 703114

Surprised he didnt say Mitchells career has stalled.

Anyway if worps gets called our fourth best midfielder ove the next 5y or so. None of us will be too unhappy

For us that was shiels and probably sewell before that. Maybe langers at times

Awww, you gotta cut BJ some slack. Expected by many to become the next Judd, couldn't quite drag his historically weak franchise over the line before heading off to waste the 2nd half of his career playing off the half back flank for an outfit rendered a non-entity due to drug cheating, finally to be "finished up" by them once the clouds looked to be breaking.

One thing is certain though, it's always someone else's fault! You stupid oversensitive Hawk fans! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back