Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is more of the exception than the rule.

Yeah, it's stat though, it's like saying we might as well have not drafted Jack Steven because late picks have a 1 in 20 chance of playing 100 games.

Not sure mate but probably better than 50%. But no interim coach has gone on to win a premiership which is interesting.

He wasn't interim coach.

Edit - My mistake, he was! I didn't see that in the graphic I saw about interim coaches which is unusual.
Terry Wallet had the job so the story goes but the players loved Roos

Not sure mate but probably better than 50%. But no interim coach has gone on to win a premiership which is interesting.

He wasn't interim coach.

Edit - My mistake, he was! I didn't see that in the graphic I saw about interim coaches which is unusual.

How many interim coaches have there been, how many games have they coached, how many had sides that were finals ready etc. It's not straight forward to use history as a solid guide.

Terry Wallet had the job so the story goes but the players loved Roos
I'll try and find the post I made about it. I don't know why Roos wasn't mentioned, has to be a reason. But nevertheless, 1 interim has won a flag. I think North and Carlton are reaping the rewards of opposition clubs not knowing how to gameplan against them now that they've changed it up. We see it every time there's a coaching change. I wouldn't be so gun-ho.

How many interim coaches have there been, how many games have they coached, how many had sides that were finals ready etc. It's not straight forward to use history as a solid guide.
It definitely is. There was about a dozen, I'll need to find the statistic. Most coached a decent enough amount of games to form an opinion on. None of them made it to a GF. I'm not talking about immediate impacts of an interim coach I'm talking 3-5 years on from that. And the record is still not great.

Prefer a newbie coach to Scott or Ratten.

Bevo took the Dogs to the premiership in a couple of years when no one expected improvement, Adam Simpson got the Weagles to the GF two years after he started.

New coach, completely new ideas, new buy in, a half an ounce of luck with injuries and draft/trade.

I'm liking the idea of John Barker.

Prefer a newbie coach to Scott or Ratten.

Bevo took the Dogs to the premiership in a couple of years when no one expected improvement, Adam Simpson got the Weagles to the GF two years after he started.

New coach, completely new ideas, new buy in, a half an ounce of luck with injuries and draft/trade.

I'm liking the idea of John Barker.

Wasnt he an interim coach before Bolton?

I'll try and find the post I made about it. I don't know why Roos wasn't mentioned, has to be a reason. But nevertheless, 1 interim has won a flag. I think North and Carlton are reaping the rewards of opposition clubs not knowing how to gameplan against them now that they've changed it up. We see it every time there's a coaching change. I wouldn't be so gun-ho.
Yep understand that,
But that is normally one or 2 week period, both the blues & roos are showing good form on a consistent basis over a larger sample size.
And both have had a very good apprenticeship, Shaw was voted assistant coach of the year and Teague has a very solid resume I just wouldn't write them off because of past history with stand in coaches

Can't be arsed finding it sorry guys. It was on AFL 360 a few weeks ago and I either posted it in here or in the Richo thread.

Grant Thomas was one of those mentioned for what it's worth. And we see how that turned out. Good but not great.

Personally I would want Clarkson if we are going tried. If we are going untried, then just someone from a good club. Mitchell, Harvey would be my first two options. Other scenarios or options I don't care much about.

Yep understand that,
But that is normally one or 2 week period, both the blues & roos are showing good form on a consistent basis over a larger sample size.
And both have had a very good apprenticeship, Shaw was voted assistant coach of the year and Teague has a very solid resume I just wouldn't write them off because of past history with stand in coaches
Nah the stat I had showed it over their entire career after they became caretaker.

Found it, easier than I expected lol. gringo2011 Mowman

1995 - Alan McConnell - Fitzroy - 0W 3L
1996 - Terry Wallace - Footscray - 3W 7L
1997 - Jeff Gieschen - Richmond - 4W 1L
2001 - Grant Thomas - St.Kilda - 1W 6L
2002 - Peter Rohde - Footscray - 1W 0L
2004 - Neil Craig - Adelaide - 4W 5L
2007 - Mark Harvey - Fremantle - 4W 3L
2010 - Matt Primus - Port Adelaide - 5W 2L

Wasnt he an interim coach before Bolton?
Yeah - did half a season when Malthouse was sacked.

That's the problem with being appointed interim coach. Usually means the decision makers have already decided you won't be the next coach (See David Teague and Judds comments). Carlton then picked Bolton - go figure.

Two years at the Saints with RTB and a couple of years at Hawthorn with Clarkson. That's a good coaching apprenticeship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great pick up by mowman

What is interesting is the swans had guaranteed the job to Wallace. Who was an unpopular choice.

Very similar to the Scott scenario now.

He wasn't interim coach.

Paul Roos say Hello

As does Alan Joyce.

Took over in 88 when Jeans got a brain tumour. Won the flag that year.

He then won a second flag when he became the coach again in 91, winning the flag again in his first year.

So as coach he won a flag in the first year of his two coaching stints.

Now admittedly most interim coaches get the gig when the team is playing poorly and that was not the case for Joyce.

But Joyce is a coach that was appointed as an interim coach and went on to win two premierships.

As does Alan Joyce.

Took over in 88 when Jeans got a brain tumour. Won the flag that year.

He then won a second flag when he became the coach again in 91, winning the flag again in his first year.

So as coach he won a flag in the first year of his two coaching stints.

Now admittedly most interim coaches get the gig when the team is playing poorly and that was not the case for Joyce.
Oh another good one.

Didn't Bolton do the same at hawthorn? Richo at port? Again due to illness.

4ut4c3.jpg

It definitely is. There was about a dozen, I'll need to find the statistic. Most coached a decent enough amount of games to form an opinion on. None of them made it to a GF. I'm not talking about immediate impacts of an interim coach I'm talking 3-5 years on from that. And the record is still not great.

I'd suggest that sides getting the coach removed are usually pretty ordinary lists. Not too many sides are pulling the plug unless s**t hits the fan. Your best are Lyon like situations where clubs pull the pin on finals sides, but again they usually coach out the full season not with weeks to go.

After seeing the Saints play against the Cats, i predict that this list is getting close to playing some good footy.
I can see us getting back players like Hannebery, Steven, Webster, Geary, Battle ..... and others like Clark , Coffield and Paton rising to the next level, and Bytel and King making a contribution.
That will lift the whole team up... and the wise people here will attribute it all to the new coach.

I'd suggest that sides getting the coach removed are usually pretty ordinary lists. Not too many sides are pulling the plug unless s**t hits the fan. Your best are Lyon like situations where clubs pull the pin on finals sides, but again they usually coach out the full season not with weeks to go.
Well upon reflection I think we have the makings of a pretty good list. Look at our top performers last night. Marshall Clark Billings Gresham Steele Dunstan. Throw Wilkie Battle and King in there. Lonie has been good this year. Carlisle if he stays. Parker and Long. Coffield has been getting a run of games now and can only get better.

I have a sense of optimism about us based on our performance last night and the fact we are moving in a different direction from the dour brand that Richo plays. I think our boys would flourish under a coach who let them play on instinct & play a more attacking brand. Delist/trade players that are no good/injured like Longer, Pierce, McCartin, White, Armitage, Rice etc. An A Grader or two plus a top five pick and we will improve. Heard Brad Hill is a good chance. I feel like a weight lifted off my shoulders now that Richo is about to walk away from the position. I can't imagine what the players and those closer to it feel.

Well upon reflection I think we have the makings of a pretty good list. Look at our top performers last night. Marshall Clark Billings Gresham Steele Dunstan. Throw Wilkie Battle and King in there. Lonie has been good this year. Carlisle if he stays. Parker and Long. Coffield has been getting a run of games now and can only get better.

I have a sense of optimism about us based on our performance last night and the fact we are moving in a different direction from the dour brand that Richo plays. I think our boys would flourish under a coach who let them play on instinct & play a more attacking brand. Delist/trade players that are no good/injured like Longer, Pierce, McCartin, White, Armitage, Rice etc. An A Grader or two plus a top five pick and we will improve. Heard Brad Hill is a good chance. I feel like a weight lifted off my shoulders now that Richo is about to walk away from the position. I can't imagine what the players and those closer to it feel.
Probably not much at all. They get over things much quicker than supporters.

A good reflection of whether we are heading in the right direction will be our B&F results.

I think Marshall, Billings, Steele & Gresh will be top 5. Ross probably makes up the top 5.

It’s a good sign when 4/5 are all under 24 & yet to hit their prime.

I’m actually pretty bullish about next year. I think we’ll win 10-11 games. A lot of improvement left in this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back