Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey sorry for the intrusion I just wanted to know if you guys think Richo will be sacked this week?

Well upon reflection I think we have the makings of a pretty good list. Look at our top performers last night. Marshall Clark Billings Gresham Steele Dunstan. Throw Wilkie Battle and King in there. Lonie has been good this year. Carlisle if he stays. Parker and Long. Coffield has been getting a run of games now and can only get better.

I have a sense of optimism about us based on our performance last night and the fact we are moving in a different direction from the dour brand that Richo plays. I think our boys would flourish under a coach who let them play on instinct & play a more attacking brand. Delist/trade players that are no good/injured like Longer, Pierce, McCartin, White, Armitage, Rice etc. An A Grader or two plus a top five pick and we will improve. Heard Brad Hill is a good chance. I feel like a weight lifted off my shoulders now that Richo is about to walk away from the position. I can't imagine what the players and those closer to it feel.
Out list can perform better than it is. No question about it. But I don't think it's a top 4 list nor a flag threat.

It has significant holes and issues. The years of stagnation between 2017 and now has only hurt it more when we didn't hit the ladder positions to support the list strategy.

We need a strong experienced footy boss to get everything working again. Need a strong list management team. Strong coaches.

The situation at sandringham is probably the most worrying of everything. It's diabolical.

Out list can perform better than it is. No question about it. But I don't think it's a top 4 list nor a flag threat.

It has significant holes and issues. The years of stagnation between 2017 and now has only hurt it more when we didn't hit the ladder positions to support the list strategy.

We need a strong experienced footy boss to get everything working again. Need a strong list management team. Strong coaches.

The situation at sandringham is probably the most worrying of everything. It's diabolical.
I made another post a couple of posts after that with what I think could be the team from Round 1 next year. It's definitely capable of pushing for finals but I think it'll be in 2021 after a year of the new coach embedding the game plan.

What's the problem at Sandringham? We own everything there apart from the name.

I made another post a couple of posts after that with what I think could be the team from Round 1 next year. It's definitely capable of pushing for finals but I think it'll be in 2021 after a year of the new coach embedding the game plan.

What's the problem at Sandringham? We own everything there apart from the name.
Their performances, injuries have affected it but it's been a consistent theme for a while now. If you're gonna play finals and win a flag it's normally proceeded by your VFL affiliate having a serious shake at it. We didn't look like doing that anytime soon. Which will tells you something about the list and the depth we have.

Having been at the qtr time huddles of subi vs sandy. Hammil is far too lenient and reserved. I think he's part of the problem with richo sexton and co.

Their performances, injuries have affected it but it's been a consistent theme for a while now. If you're gonna play finals and win a flag it's normally proceeded by your VFL affiliate having a serious shake at it. We didn't look like doing that anytime soon. Which will tells you something about the list and the depth we have.

Having been at the qtr time huddles of subi vs sandy. Hammil is far too lenient and reserved. I think he's part of the problem with richo sexton and co.
Think you answered it mate. We lack depth. I think you have it backwards regarding reserves form and seniors form. I think if you're deep talented side you'll have better options playing in the 2's. We don't really have that.

Never been to a Sandringham huddle so can't really comment on how Hamill speaks to his players.

I have a feeling Scott will be our coach next season, I'm not for it nor entirely against it so I'm sitting evenly on the fence. However I think if someone put the right case forward I could be persuaded into thinking he is a good fit for us. Ideally its Ratten for me but after those two I have no idea who would be 3rd, 4th and then 5th choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a feeling Scott will be our coach next season, I'm not for it nor entirely against it so I'm sitting evenly on the fence. However I think if someone put the right case forward I could be persuaded into thinking he is a good fit for us. Ideally its Ratten for me but after those two I have no idea who would be 3rd, 4th and then 5th choice.

According to StCicatriz there’s been a few rumours about Freo “allowing” Ross to look around to escape his contract.....I mean, we couldn’t possibly, could we?? :oops:

Think you answered it mate. We lack depth. I think you have it backwards regarding reserves form and seniors form. I think if you're deep talented side you'll have better options playing in the 2's. We don't really have that.

Never been to a Sandringham huddle so can't really comment on how Hamill speaks to his players.
Nah it's the other way. Look at sides like Geelong Dogs richmond pies. Their VFL side climbed the ladder which predated their AFL form.

It's the first sign you're in the right direction. Meanwhile we haven't really done anything since mcphee was in charge down there.

Nah it's the other way. Look at sides like Geelong Dogs richmond pies. Their VFL side climbed the ladder which predated their AFL form.

It's the first sign you're in the right direction. Meanwhile we haven't really done anything since mcphee was in charge down there.
That's coincidence. Those same instances you mentioned where VFL teams were better before the AFL side doesn't add up when you look at Geelong in 2017. Their VFL side missed the finals while the AFL side finished 2nd. In the same year Hawthorn finished 2nd in the VFL and done nothing since. 2016 Collingwood finished 2nd in the VFL and the year after were 13th. So I don't reckon it has any correlation at all.

Aside from the fact that if you're a strong VFL team you will have good players in there, so why would you continue to play them in the VFL if you have no depth. This is our issue. We have no depth so we need to use everyone we can. If we bring in better players and improve our best 22, that means better players will be available in the VFL and thus improve our performance there.

That's coincidence. Those same instances you mentioned where VFL teams were better before the AFL side doesn't add up when you look at Geelong in 2017. Their VFL side missed the finals while the AFL side finished 2nd. In the same year Hawthorn finished 2nd in the VFL and done nothing since. 2016 Collingwood finished 2nd in the VFL and the year after were 13th. So I don't reckon it has any correlation at all.

Aside from the fact that if you're a strong VFL team you will have good players in there, so why would you continue to play them in the VFL if you have no depth. This is our issue. We have no depth so we need to use everyone we can. If we bring in better players and improve our best 22, that means better players will be available in the VFL and thus improve our performance there.
Geelong didn't go through a rebuild though. Look at the sides that went though a genuine rebuild. Which is what we are doing.

Geelong have stayed up the top due to their access to ready made talent. We haven't had that. I wish we did but sadly we don't have a dangerfield wanting to come home.

2002 Geelong VFL premiers. Play finals in 2004.

2005 box hill finals. Hawthorn play finals in 2007.

2011 werribee finals. Richmond play finals in 2013.

2013 williamstown/footscray. 2015 western bulldogs play finals.

2015 pies VFL finals. 2018 pies make a grand final.

2016 Casey play finals. 2018 Melbourne make finals.

Geelong didn't go through a rebuild though. Look at the sides that went though a genuine rebuild. Which is what we are doing.

Geelong have stayed up the top due to their access to ready made talent. We haven't had that. I wish we did but sadly we don't have a dangerfield wanting to come home.
Collingwood & Richmond didn't go through a genuine rebuild though? And for teams that did, Melbourne in 2016 finished on top in the VFL and then missed the AFL finals the following season. There's no direct correlation between VFL form being a prerequisite for AFL form.

Anyway, the difference between teams that haven't gone through a rebuild and teams that have is depth. Geelong are on top of the ladder because they have a list with better depth. Same goes for all the top sides. Players playing VFL for Geelong would have a better chance playing AFL for us because we don't have many options. Players not getting games at good sides are usually better than players not getting games at bad sides.

We have about 15-20 players that are best 22 material. We need at least 30 like the other top sides before we start to really challenge.

Sandringham:
2014 sneak into finals
2015 2nd on ladder
2016 7th
2017 bottom 4
2018 bottom 3
2019 bottom 4

St Kilda
2016 miss finals on %
2017 2 wins from finals
2018 bottom 4
2019 bottom 4

You could almost lock in the saints in 2020 for bottom 4.

Our VFL results are proceeding our AFL results which makes sense given the talent pathway.

2002 Geelong VFL premiers. Play finals in 2004.

2005 box hill finals. Hawthorn play finals in 2007.

2011 werribee finals. Richmond play finals in 2013.

2013 williamstown/footscray. 2015 western bulldogs play finals.

2015 pies VFL finals. 2018 pies make a grand final.

2016 Casey play finals. 2018 Melbourne make finals.
Coburg was Richmond's VFL affiliate in 2011.
Williamstown ended their affiliation with the Dogs at the end of the 2013 season.

2002 - Geelong VFL Premiers. 2003 Geelong finish 12th.
2003 - Box Hill make finals. Hawthorn finish 15th in 2004.
2004 - Box Hill finish 7th. Hawthorn finish 14th in 2005.
2005 - Geelong finish bottom of VFL. 2007 Geelong win premiership.
2006 - Box Hill finish 10th. Hawthorn finish 5th in 2007.
2007 - Box Hill finish 2nd last. Hawthorn premiership in 2008.

List goes on and on.

No direct correlation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back