Opinion Who will be our next head coach?

Who will be our next head coach?

• Brett Ratten

Votes: 81 68.6%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 17 14.4%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Ross Lyon

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Handball drills are replaced with "goon of fortune". Unfortunately instances of concussion go up, mainly for the taller players.

Wait a second. Our rate of concussion seems to be much higher in our taller players already!

#goonOfFortuneConfirmed
Lol. Think I'm going to go to bed. Everyone seems too pissed tonight.

Strongly prefer someone from outside the current Club paradigm.

Not happy with Ratts tonight. First quarter we're hitting up our forwards on the lead very well. Qtr time and Ratts tell the players to go long instead, queue the bombs into the forward line all over again. Downhill from there.
Funny you say that, in Ratts' presser last night he mentioned we kicked half our score from deep entry. Our issue was the ability to hold it in there long enough. We only laid 6 F50 tackles. Our forwards did a poor job of locking the ball in there.

Handball drills are replaced with "goon of fortune". Unfortunately instances of concussion go up, mainly for the taller players.

Wait a second. Our rate of concussion seems to be much higher in our taller players already!

#goonOfFortuneConfirmed

Scull a shot every time we kick a behind, They'd need to carry him out of the box at half time.

Looked like more of the same that we are used too. Same problems. I don't see much difference between richo and Ratten beyond length of tenure.

They're pretty much the same. Ratts himself said that.
Sample size of three games.

Sample size of three games.
Like he wasn't at the club prior. He also said it himself there's not much difference beyond the message.

So if I cant use the three game as evidence for why he can't be there. Then no one can use the 3 games as evidence as to why he should be there right? Sample size and all. Which takes away the biggest strength he has. His involvement right now. The what you see is what you get. The reduced likelihood of a nasty suprise.

I'd rather us bring someone new in. Someone untried. Someone modern.

All Ratten will do is have slightly more focus on the offence over the defence. He'll increase scoring but we'll start to seriously concede score. It'll be the same old s**t for the next 2 seasons before we sack him.

Might sneak into finals but we won't threaten anything.

I want us to be a top 4 contender that's innovating the game. Not chase the tail of the last premier or repeat what another club has done 3 seasons ago. Or in this case repeat what carlton did near on a decade ago.

Last edited:
Like he wasn't at the club prior. He also said it himself there's not much difference beyond the message.

So if I cant use the three game as evidence for why he can't be there. Then no one can use the 3 games as evidence as to why he should be there right? Sample size and all. Which takes away the biggest strength he has. His involvement right now. The what you see is what you get. The reduced likelihood of a nasty suprise.

All Ratten will do is have slightly more focus on the offence over the defence. He'll increase scoring but we'll start to seriously concede score. It'll be the same old s**t for the next 2 seasons before we sack him.

I want us to be a top 4 contender that's innovating the game. Not chase the tail of the last premier or repeat what another club has done 3 seasons ago. Or in this case repeat what carlton did near on a decade ago.
He actually said that he hasn't changed it up much because at this stage of the season there's no point expecting players to try a new game plan.

Don't let facts get in the way.

Oops sorry, didn't mean to disagree with you. Please don't take it personally...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was at the club prior. Which actually proves my point. He was the forwards coach and we weren't scoring. Now he is the head coach and we are scoring. You said post the Bulldogs game how he made structural changes and it paid off. Now you are saying Richardson & Ratten are the same.

Ratten has six games to prove he is capable. You are writing him off after two wins and one loss. How you can come to a conclusion that it will be the same for the next two years and then he'll get sacked is completely beyond me. What has lead you to believe it'll be the same, given almost everything suggests the complete opposite?

How do you know that we will start giving up more points?

I don't know what relevance Carlton holds in the discussion on Ratten either. Are you saying he has gained no experience from the past 8 seasons. An assistant under one of the greatest coaches of all-time, including multiple premierships, holds no relevance?

If the club who is a lot closer to the situation than any of us hasn't made a decision on him after three games I don't know how any of us can.

He was at the club prior. Which actually proves my point. He was the forwards coach and we weren't scoring. Now he is the head coach and we are scoring. You said post the Bulldogs game how he made structural changes and it paid off. Now you are saying Richardson & Ratten are the same.

Ratten has six games to prove he is capable. You are writing him off after two wins and one loss. How you can come to a conclusion that it will be the same for the next two years and then he'll get sacked is completely beyond me. What has lead you to believe it'll be the same, given almost everything suggests the complete opposite?

I don't know what relevance Carlton holds in the discussion on Ratten either. Are you saying he has gained no experience from the past 8 seasons. An assistant under one of the greatest coaches of all-time, including multiple premierships, holds no relevance?

If the club who is a lot closer to the situation than any of us hasn't made a decision on him after three games I don't know how any of us can.

Lol proves what point?

You also said you didn't want a tried coach. You pointed to his performance as forward coach as a reason. Now you want him? Because he got wins against two sides richo has previously gotten wins against. Both bottom 8 and because we didn't get belted by 70 points against a side on a serious decline.

As st trav pointed out the first two games are no different to what richo produced. They are not really an indicator. It's the game vs the top 8 sides that will tell us more. We have seen earlier in the year how he went with the top 8 sides with the forward line and now against a border line top 8 side struggling with form. I haven't seen anything more than what richo has done bar some slight tweeking offensively like you pointed out during the bulldogs game.

Yeap I think it holds no relevance. I don't see how Ratten magically turns into a good managerial coach like clarko. Who delivered those results. Ratten looks like a good a senior assistant and that's where it ends.

Richo looked absolutely past it by the end. 10-15 too late. Ratten looks exactly the same.

But yeh let's appoint the bloke who's performance as our forward line coach was meh against the top 8 sides. A bloke who was last senior coach near on a decade ago. Who's hallmark is because he worked at a well rounded system in hawthorn. Like he is the reason they won 3 flags.

There is nothing to suggest Ratten is a modern day managerial coach. He couldn't get it done at carlton with Judd and needed richos help there. He won't get it done at our club.

Last edited:
Lol proves point?

You also said you didn't want a tried coach. Now you want him?
Proves my point that things are different with him as head coach. You said they are basically the same. They aren't. We didn't score over 100 points in a game for an entire year until he took over. He took Parker & Gresham and put them deep forward, something Richardson rarely ever (if at all) did. He is playing Acres in the middle instead of all over the place. He is keeping positional structure so we can do two things. One - stretch the opposition defence, and two - have an option up the ground to kick the ball to. How often under Richo did we regain possession and have nobody up the ground.

I never said I wanted Ratten. I said my personal preference would be an untried coach based on history of tried coaches going around again, but that doesn't mean it can never happen (a tried coach winning a flag on his second go-around). And it's especially true in Ratten's case, as I don't think many (if any) coaches are looking for a second go at the job having just been apart of three straight premierships as an assistant. So every case is different, Ratten's very much so.

However my overarching want is to win. I don't care who it ends up being. As long as at the end of the day we win. And in Ratten's case, he has won two games, lost one, and we are playing good football. I'm happy to concede 20 goals a game if we are kicking 21 ourselves.

I wonder when people will take the rose coloured glasses off , our list is average at best , yes all the stars that people bang on about on here are not really stars , just good average footballers , good luck to any coach taking us on its going to be a tough gig IMO

Because he got wins against two sides richo has previously gotten wins against. Both bottom 8 and because we didn't get belted by 70 points against a side on a serious decline.

As st trav pointed out the first two games are no different to what richo produced. They are not really an indicator. It's the game vs the top 8 sides that will tell us more. We have seen earlier in the year how he went with the top 8 sides with the forward line and now against a border line top 8 side struggling with form. I haven't seen anything more than what richo has done bar some slight tweeking offensively like you pointed out during the bulldogs game.

Yeap I think it holds no relevance. I don't see how Ratten magically turns into a good managerial coach like clarko. Who delivered those results. Ratten looks like a good a senior assistant and that's where it ends.

Richo looked absolutely past it by the end. 10-15 too late. Ratten looks exactly the same.

But yeh let's appoint the bloke who's performance as our forward line coach was meh against the top 8 sides. A bloke who was last senior coach near on a decade ago. Who's hallmark is because he worked at a well rounded system in hawthorn. Like he is the reason they won 3 flags.

There is nothing to suggest Ratten is a modern day managerial coach. He couldn't get it done at carlton with Judd and needed richos help there. He won't get it done at our club.
You are smart enough to see there's been a difference in our play under Ratten. You want to wait until we play against a top eight side to make a call on him but you've just said he is going to get sacked within two years and there's no difference. So which one is it?

You can't possibly expect an interim coach to overhaul a gameplan from the time he took over on a Tuesday to the first game he coached on a Saturday. We have made subtle yet effective changes and this is only after three weeks! I would be keen to see what he could do with the group over an off-season or two, if he is successful in getting the job.

You were critical of him for our forward line not scoring enough earlier in the year so I'm not sure how you now think he is a good senior assistant. And if you're going to use his experience at Hawthorn as a way to back up your argument then you would concede he would've learnt a hell of a lot at the Hawks and it would definitely hold relevance. Of course it would.

I'm responding to your post as I am reading it and you just contradicted yourself in the very next paragraph. Meh as an assistant with us. Now he has gone from being a good senior assistant to it actually being a product of Hawthorn as a club. Don't know if anyone said he is the reason they won three flags. Definitely not. His experience working directly under a coach like Clarkson would've furthered his development - that there is absolutely no question whatsoever.

Again you revert back to his time at Carlton which was eight seasons ago. Like he didn't learn anything at his time at Hawthorn. And there's a case for him being unfairly sacked from the Blues anyway. Took them to finals. Went to Hawthorn and was a key part of their three-peat. Got to count for something mate...

Round 20 Adelaide vs st kilda: 92 vs 70
Round 5 st kilda vs adelaide: 68 vs 97

What an improvement!

Round 4 Melbourne vs st kilda: 55 vs 95
Round 19 st kilda vs Melbourne: 104 vs 85

So yeah slight increase in score but leaking more. Ever slightly in Adelaide. More pronounced vs Melbourne.

Scoring over 100 means literally nothing. It's just an arbitrary line in the sand. What you need to look at is score for vs score against.

I couldn't care if we kick 95 vs 104 in the Melbourne game. 9 points mean nothing. The amount we started to concede is the bigger issue but we win yay. Likewise couldn't care if we score 2 more points vs adelaide. We still didn't close the gap. We lose which is bad.
If we won every game in a season by 1 point would you be happy?

He has come on looking for an argument.

Well done by indulging him.

Last week he said he was warming to Ratten.

The poster is an attention seeker and nothing more.

You are smart enough to see there's been a difference in our play under Ratten. You want to wait until we play against a top eight side to make a call on him but you've just said he is going to get sacked within two years and there's no difference. So which one is it?

You can't possibly expect an interim coach to overhaul a gameplan from the time he took over on a Tuesday to the first game he coached on a Saturday. We have made subtle yet effective changes and this is only after three weeks! I would be keen to see what he could do with the group over an off-season or two, if he is successful in getting the job.

You were critical of him for our forward line not scoring enough earlier in the year so I'm not sure how you now think he is a good senior assistant. And if you're going to use his experience at Hawthorn as a way to back up your argument then you would concede he would've learnt a hell of a lot at the Hawks and it would definitely hold relevance. Of course it would.

I'm responding to your post as I am reading it and you just contradicted yourself in the very next paragraph. Meh as an assistant with us. Now he has gone from being a good senior assistant to it actually being a product of Hawthorn as a club. Don't know if anyone said he is the reason they won three flags. Definitely not. His experience working directly under a coach like Clarkson would've furthered his development - that there is absolutely no question whatsoever.

Again you revert back to his time at Carlton which was eight seasons ago. Like he didn't learn anything at his time at Hawthorn. And there's a case for him being unfairly sacked from the Blues anyway. Took them to finals. Went to Hawthorn and was a key part of their three-peat. Got to count for something mate...
Just listened to Ratts press conference and i thought he seemed under no illusion of what is needed in the pre season

I know we lost last night but i also didn't think we were that far away

Last edited:
Everyone keeps saying this stinks of Richo's game plan

Fellas, it IS Richo's game plan
Pretty much. Ratts has six games to prove it to the club. 2 wins and 1 loss is a good start. If we win 2 of the next three that is an improvement. If we win all three he has the job without question. He needs an off-season to develop his own gameplan. Can't even let things breathe over here. Three games and already making calls on his future. Lets see how the next three games play out at least.

Just listened to Ratts press conference and i though he seemed under no illusion of what is needed in the pre season

I know we lost last night but i also didn't think we were that far away
I am with you mate. This place is way too up and down for me sometimes. We were less than a goal down with 5 minutes left in the third quarter. How many times in Adelaide have we been in that position. I am not advocating for him, I am hoping supporters give him a fair go. One loss and he apparently isn't good enough. Same old. Where was all that talk during the last fortnight? I didn't hear any of it. I'm not surprised though. One loss and the world implodes.

Looking at it objectively it's clear we are improving under Ratten. Takes more than three weeks to develop a whole new gameplan. If Ratten unites the playing group and they love playing for him, and our results continue to trend upward, then give him a 3 year deal and let him develop his own style.

Pretty much. Ratts has six games to prove it to the club. 2 wins and 1 loss is a good start. If we win 2 of the next three that is an improvement. If we win all three he has the job without question. He needs an off-season to develop his own gameplan. Can't even let things breathe over here. Three games and already making calls on his future. Lets see how the next three games play out at least.

I am with you mate. This place is way too up and down for me sometimes. We were less than a goal down with 5 minutes left in the third quarter. How many times in Adelaide have we been in that position. I am not advocating for him, I am hoping supporters give him a fair go. One loss and he apparently isn't good enough. Same old. Where was all that talk during the last fortnight? I didn't hear any of it. I'm not surprised though. One loss and the world implodes.

Looking at it objectively it's clear we are improving under Ratten. Takes more than three weeks to develop a whole new gameplan. If Ratten unites the playing group and they love playing for him, and our results continue to trend upward, then give him a 3 year deal and let him develop his own style.
Couldn't agree more
Add a couple of players over the off season and imo I dont think we are far off being a good and consistent side.
I thought before that start of this season we were a 6- 8 win side if EVERYTHING went right, nothing has gone right and we are on 8 wins and could win 10 games for the season.
I hope like hell we give Ratts the job for at least 3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back