2019 1st Ashes Test - Edgbaston 1-5 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t want Smith as captain..he was not a great leader of men and was tactically limited. He’s a gun batsmen..not a captain
Paine is just as tactically limited. He's only captain because he presents well to the media and exudes a positive, nice guy image. He's good PR for CA.

Never mind that he bats like a tailender and hogs an important spot in our batting lineup, which he clearly isn't good enough for.

Paine isn't even in the side for his keeping. He's only there because there is literally no one else to take over as captain, so we're stuck with him until the end of the Australian summer at least regardless of performance.

I wish they'd just forgive Smith now, so he can be captain right away.

Just let Smith bat and churn out runs. He was a crap captain anyway.

Pat Cummins - 101 wkts 21.64 ave 46.2 SR
Glenn McGrath - 563 wkts 21.64 ave 51.9 SR

With Cummins about to enter his first Lord test match, just a little bit of an omen at a ground where Glenn took 26 wkts at an average of 11.50 and a SR of 27.38....

Just let Smith bat and churn out runs. He was a crap captain anyway.
He churned out unbeliavable runs while he was captain. I think giving him back the captaincy would allow the selectors to drop Paine, and we'd hopefully get a dangerous batsman at number 7 for a change.

What's the wicket going to be like next test? No chance the selectors will drop anyone after such a big win, keep morale and team synergy high. If we lose or draw the next test then Harris labus Starc come into play

He churned out unbeliavable runs while he was captain. I think giving him back the captaincy would allow the selectors to drop Paine, and we'd hopefully get a dangerous batsman at number 7 for a change.

There's a 0% chance Paine will be dropped this series so not much point talking about it. Wade is not practicing his keeping anymore, and the captain is undroppable.

What's the wicket going to be like next test? No chance the selectors will drop anyone after such a big win, keep morale and team synergy high. If we lose or draw the next test then Harris labus Starc come into play

There's a new curator at Lords, he's so far produced the WC final and the Ireland test match.

Both have been absolute green mamba's.....

There's a 0% chance Paine will be dropped this series so not much point talking about it. Wade is not practicing his keeping anymore, and the captain is undroppable.
I agree. We're stuck with Paine for quite a while yet, which I think is a shame.

Pat Cummins - 101 wkts 21.64 ave 46.2 SR
Glenn McGrath - 563 wkts 21.64 ave 51.9 SR

With Cummins about to enter his first Lord test match, just a little bit of an omen at a ground where Glenn took 26 wkts at an average of 11.50 and a SR of 27.38....
Cummins can’t be any good. Just lucky. That’s what Bradesmaen keeps telling us anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only other time I saw umpiring this bad was an old bloke named Tom Brooks wrongly giving three caught behinds on the last day in Perth when Australia was trying to hold out for a draw. He actually announced his retirement at the lunch break.
I ran into Tom Brooks as a keeper playing at Mosman. We had just taken a wicket and the next batsman comes in and Tom says to the batsman "yes that is centre/leg and there are 4 balls remaining. Like a smarty I go are you sure umpire..is it 4 or 5. At the tea break my captain tells me I have to go and apologise because the ex Test umpire is very upset that I questioned him..I apologised did not know who he was but he certainly thought he was above Grade Cricket.

Yes well we don't have that. There's daylight between Paine and the next best gloveman. Average of 30 is more than fine at no 7
I agree Paine is a very good Keeper and adequate batsman. Pity he lost so many years because of injury and opened the door for Haddin who was a superior bat. Don't think Paine now 34 will ever make big scores regularly but is a good fighter and done a good job after the sandpaper issue. Personally I would like to see Smith back as captain after Paine probably within the next 18 months to Two years.

Being solid with the gloves must come first. Every missed chance is probably worth about 20 runs on average. You'd need to be an exceptionally better batsman and still a good solid keeper to keep out a proper glovesman.

Gilchrist over Berry the only justifiable example in recent memory.

Cummins can’t be any good. Just lucky. That’s what Bradesmaen keeps telling us anyway.

What's even more incredible is that he's averaging that after playing a major chunk of his 21 tests in his career on absolute roads or the sub continent.

Lifeless Pitches:

Adelaide (2017), WACA (2017), MCG (2), Edgebaston (1), Ranchi (1), Dharmasala (1), Dhaka (1), Chittagong (1), Manuka (1), Sydney (2018), Sydney (2019)

Neutral:

Brisbane (2017, 2019), Adelaide (2018), Optus (1), Newlands (1), Port Elizabeth (1), Durban (1)

Bowler Friendly:

Wanderers (2011, 2018).

Wishful thinking maybe but this has a bit of a 1989 vibe to it. A team nobody rated bossing the Poms.
Remember it well. We were allegedly the weakest Australian team to visit English shores, which turned out to be about as accurate as one of my tee shots. But for the weather intervening in 2 of the Tests, 4-0 could easily have been 6-0, a scoreline Pommy fans would never have lived down for the rest of eternity.

Mate we have a Cummins - 100 wickets at less than 22 is insane.

It's his whole package at the moment.

His stats are closests to Malcom Marshall's atm (Average, SR, Economy) from roughly 30% of the tests so far... Also been brilliant on a variety of surfaces like Mal....

I do not think Gilly was a good a keeper as Paine.

Healy, Paine, Berry and Marsh the best keepers I seen in this nation but Berry never got a Test as he timed his career at wrong time as another top quality keeper. Gilly worked hard to get good enough to not stuff up much. He really was an allrounder as a batsman that could keep adequately if he worked at it and bat as an allrounder in lower part of batting order. A real freak talent luxury to bat at 7.
Berry ha ha
Is that you Warnie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back