2019 1st Ashes Test - Edgbaston 1-5 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank heavens for Smith and his wonderful wallpaper.
Well and truly papered over the cracks first dig and early doors second.
Special shout out to Siddle, inportant couple of moments in the match for Fu.

That's where Langer says to Smith, go set a world record. Bat for three days. Kill the contest. Let it rain. A draw means we win.
I can envision a dream world where the Australian team, ****ed off with being heckled for the entire English summer (including the WC), get to the final test with the Ashes in their back pockets and arrive at the Oval - England's best ground for batting - and just aim to break records with the bat and humiliate England by keeping them in the field for over half the test. That would be funny.

I can envision a dream world where the Australian team, f’ed off with being heckled for the entire English summer (including the WC), get to the final test with the Ashes in their back pockets and arrive at the Oval - England's best ground for batting - and just aim to break records with the bat and humiliate England by keeping them in the field for over half the test. That would be funny.
I'd love to win the toss and still be batting in the fourth day.

Our best - and only Test quality - keeper since Gilchrist, with daylight between him and the rest.
Batting is adequate, given that keeping standard.
I don't believe his batting is anywhere close to adequate. We'd be much more dangerous with a keeper who can sometimes bat big.

Our best - and only Test quality - keeper since Gilchrist, with daylight between him and the rest.
Batting is adequate, given that keeping standard.

I do not think Gilly was a good a keeper as Paine.

Healy, Paine, Berry and Marsh the best keepers I seen in this nation but Berry never got a Test as he timed his career at wrong time as another top quality keeper. Gilly worked hard to get good enough to not stuff up much. He really was an allrounder as a batsman that could keep adequately if he worked at it and bat as an allrounder in lower part of batting order. A real freak talent luxury to bat at 7.

Australia far too good. Outplayed us in every facet of the game.

Roy is the most unlikeable player that I can recall playing for England for a while, but to criticise him for spitting on the way off the field is a bit much. I assumed Peter Lalor was joking at first. Not sure now, because the more I see his posts, the more unhinged he appears to be.

This series is feeling like 1989. Australia underrated by the English press and dominating. The difference from my point of view is that I haven't written Australia off since then. Never know when they will turn it around. Doesn't normally take long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paine isn't even in the side for his keeping. He's only there because there is literally no one else to take over as captain, so we're stuck with him until the end of the Australian summer at least regardless of performance.

I wish they'd just forgive Smith now, so he can be captain right away.

I do not think Gilly was a good a keeper as Paine.

Healy, Paine, Berry and Marsh the best keepers I seen in this nation but Berry never got a Test as he timed his career at wrong time as another top quality keeper. Gilly worked hard to get good enough to not stuff up much. He really was an allrounder as a batsman that could keep adequately if he worked at it and bat as an allrounder in lower part of batting order. A real freak talent luxury to bat at 7.
Yes, agree that Paine is better than Gilchrist, who was pretty ragged to start with, but, as you say, worked hard to improve to an acceptable standard.

I think we should also give the selectors credit for this test as well. Leaving out Starc and Hazelwood must have been hard as they have been battlers for us in the past few years but Siddle was definitely the way to go in English conditions. And finally rewarding Wades shield form. I don't think Boof would have done this until it was too late due to his aggressive mantra which backfired last time we went here.

What’s this? Sorry I was watching on a screen without sound last night.
What is the reason they would they boo them?

Yeah for some reason every time Wade or Cummins would field the ball in those last 7 overs of Day 4, for some reason the crowd booed them. No reason I could think of, other than they made runs against them.

I can't believe Tim Paine labelled Smith as the "greatest player EVER statistically". Hasn't he heard of Bradman? :)

I'm still laughing at Roy's get out shot against Lyon. There was enough room between bat and pad to send a soccer ball through. Arrogance only gets you so far in Test cricket.

Last edited:
Paine isn't even in the side for his keeping. He's only there because there is literally no one else to take over as captain, so we're stuck with him until the end of the Australian summer at least regardless of performance.

I wish they'd just forgive Smith now, so he can be captain right away.

I don’t want Smith as captain..he was not a great leader of men and was tactically limited. He’s a gun batsmen..not a captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back