News Assistant Coach Discussion - Leigh Adams joining?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, if we replace him with someone rubbish to average then that will be a loss. Ahh, yeah not a lot of football insight required to make that call!

I’m saying that BC is a good to elite coach amongst one of a team of good to elite coaches. More important is that we are an elite football club top to bottom these days and I have every belief we’ll replace him with someone as good.

There’s not only one coach in the whole sport who is capable of delivering what he can. At the end of the day he was part of the downward shift of a Geelong side that most of us could of coached to a flag in 11, before coming to us. Prior to that he was at the pies to 09 and they were better after he left until they Bucklied the joint.

Also last year we looked a bit stale in terms of game plan at the end of the year. I reckon it’s more our list management and recruiting that has helped us turn it around and look more dangerous this year, coupled with the foundations of a consistent brand and strategy.

In terms of his replacement, there’s more evidence pointing towards us getting this right than there is that we won’t given how well we’re run these days. Sit back and watch it happen.

I am going to have a go at finding flaws in your post here, it is not a personal attack, you have just made some points I think warrant challenging.

Yep, if we replace him with someone rubbish to average then that will be a loss. Ahh, yeah not a lot of football insight required to make that call!

Nobody has a monopoly on appointing highly effective coaches. And some known successful coaches' abilities just don't transfer well into a new environment. Pagan at Carlton, Malthouse at Carlton, Jeans at Richmond, the list is endless. On average, where anything that is working well is replaced in a system, you have a far greater chance of a worse outcome than a better one. I agree there is not a lot of insight required to make the call, it is plainly obvious. So this begs the question why you think this plainly obvious principle is not valid here....you have said Caracella is a good to elite coach, so you must think there is no realistic possibility of the club replacing him with a markedly less effective coach. Why?

I’m saying that BC is a good to elite coach amongst one of a team of good to elite coaches.

How could you distinguish this assessment from a pure guess for us? How, for instance, could you know that Caracella is not peerless among ball movement theorists and practitioners from the knowable AFL coaching pool. How could you know he is not the single most important coach at RFC?

At the end of the day he was part of the downward shift of a Geelong side that most of us could of coached to a flag in 11, before coming to us.

I am not even sure the Cats were favoured to beat Collingwood on GF day in 2011, but they were not favoured to win the flag before the season had commenced. They had lost Ablett, had a new head coach, and did not finish the season top of the ladder or with he highest percentage, and had been trounced by the Pies in the 2010 prelim. Would it be fairer to say that as an assistant coach Caracella was an integral part in two premierships at different clubs in a 7 season span? And these clubs were roughly 3rd favourite and 12th favourite pre season...and his stint at Collingwood was his first coaching stint, and they made finals each year he was there, and he has been dragged from club to club by people who have known him and worked with him...Balme for one...because they know how good he is...?

Also last year we looked a bit stale in terms of game plan at the end of the year. I reckon it’s more our list management and recruiting that has helped us turn it around and look more dangerous this year, coupled with the foundations of a consistent brand and strategy.

So Caracella alone takes the blame when we don't win a flag but everyone else takes the credit when we come good? Bear in mind we finished top of the table in 2018 and carried two crucially unfit players into the prelim where we were eliminated.

In terms of his replacement, there’s more evidence pointing towards us getting this right than there is that we won’t given how well we’re run these days. Sit back and watch it happen.

Of decisions that get an unwanted result, there are two categories:

1 wrong decisions

2 bad decisions

Not a person or organisation in the world can guarantee they will not make decisions that turn out to be wrong. Even brilliant decisions can get the wrong result due to unforeseeable or improbable issues acting against the decision. You cannot eliminate these no matter how hard you try.

Bad decisions I would say are ones where you can look back and identify where you could have foreseen the risk of it going wrong being greater than the potential reward of it going right. You can eliminate or minimise these if you are good.

I would agree the club does not seem to make bad decisions by and large, but there is always the unavoidable risk of a wrong decision. This will apply to the appointment of Caracella's replacement the same as with any other decision and this is why I do not agree with your seemingly blind faith in the club getting this decision right.

Last edited:

And if Woosha gets to the Finals, Bumbers have wasted their hard earned on BC...

Don’t think it will matter either way
A lot of talk he’s going to head home to wa when he’s contract is up after next year

Well, you lose that Caracella, all the hounds will start to roar
The boys all go to hell and then the Cubans hit the floor
They drive along the pipeline, they tango 'til they're sore
They take apart their nightmares and they leave them by the door
Let me fall out of the window with confetti in my hair
Deal out Jacks or better on a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets, but I lie about my past
And send me off to bed for evermore...

Robbo "the fact is they offered him alot alot of money to go back to essendon, Richmond couldn't match it or decided they didn't want to match it and they can't do anything about the fact that he is leaving. Are they totally happy? no but that is life"

Robbo "the fact is they offered him alot alot of money to go back to essendon, Richmond couldn't match it or decided they didn't want to match it and they can't do anything about the fact that he is leaving. Are they totally happy? no but that is life"
he is a dog imo. why sign a contract and then demand more coin half way through it

Still had one year left on his contract so anything about money is just typical guess work from the media.
Ambition is generally the key driver for assistants pretty easy to read his recent pattern and timing coming to Richmond following 2016 and now ess where their performances have been flaky at best
He still has never coached his own side and that’s likely why he hasn’t been at pointy end of discussion for available jobs that have spilt this year
If he’s being lined up for senior gig it would be dans gut feel, yea same bloke that didn’t see through yazza whilst we heavily courted him , quite brilliant that was

he is a dog imo. why sign a contract and then demand more coin half way through it

Probably because he was offered a much bigger paying contract elsewhere and had a clause in his contract allowing him to be released in these circumstances. In which case he would not be a dog at all, just a guy making a sound financial decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about we package up Blake and Brando and get a first round draft picks from them?

OR, just trade Blake and ask for 2 x 1st Round Picks....... ;) (Who will bite first)

YEP, great show of strength and again highlights the tight knit culture at tigerland....
The message is again re-enforced - We will pay you well, but within our budget as others need to be considered, We want you to stay.....If you want more money see you later, and good luck.... Bolton, Ellis, Baker (signed) and co. will be well aware of this scenario and there will be no hard feelings if the choice is to made to take the money and walk.

Essendon must've given Blake a nice big pay rise to leave Richmond.

So is Dan Richardson going to try and poach anyone else from Richmond lol Too bad, he cannot have Gale, Penny or Hardwick. And, Balme pretty much took over his role when he joined us...
Everytime Dan R speaks you can just sense that he doesn't have 'it'.....that intangible quality that oozes out of people like Balmey, that can unite a footy club and pull everyone into line and push in the right direction. Dan R suits essendon very very well.

I knew it was about $$ Essendon offered a lot more Mark Robinson said.
Got some inside news this morning from a reliable client that Blake could be coaching Essendon next year as Woosha’s wife has put the pedal down.
They’re negotiating an escape clause payment as we speak and he will only stay if parties can’t reach an amicable monetary agreement.

Got some inside news this morning from a reliable client that Blake could be coaching Essendon next year as Woosha’s wife has put the pedal down.
They’re negotiating an escape clause payment as we speak and he will only stay if parties can’t reach an amicable monetary agreement.

That makes sense and I have no problem with Cara chasing that opportunity mid contract

Some of us are pretty salty here. Good on Blake for the opportunity and a big bloody thank you for your contribution to the club. Quite clearly he is a big part of the reason we turned things around. All the best Blake.
Yeah...
All the best for taking a bigger pay offer while still on a contract with us and with still a year of your original contract to go!
All the best for holding the Club to ransom and for asking for more money in the middle of the Club re-signing players!
All the best cos your timing is impeccable!!! Right in the middle of our soon to come Finals campaign!
All the best cos it's a good look with your timing/leaving and still hanging around the Club as we fight for another Flag!
All the best for the distracting media hype your leaving has brought about...
All the best with your new job coaching! Oh not the coaching job?!?!? Still an assistant?!? well thank you for that too!
All the best for tarnishing your legacy at Tigerland with knowing that your leaving right now will leave/raise questions about your footy nous! Looks really good on your CV---->left my last club in the worst way possible! Mid contract!
All the best for any possible poaching of talent!
Salty?!? Feck yeah! but thank your mother for the chickens!
It's not about the What! But the How!
Big Part of our current succss?!? Hard to see now with the questionable way you have gone about dealing with your own self interests and future.
Success needs team work your leaving demonstrates your disdain for team values...our Team values, harmony!
Good luck with your future Team values! You walk alone...

Last edited:

Yeah...
All the best for taking a bigger pay offer while still on a contract with us and with still a year of your original contract to go!
All the best for holding the Club to ransom and for asking for more money in the middle of the Club re-signing players!
All the best cos your timing is impeccable!!! Right in the middle of our soon to come Finals campaign!
All the best cos it's a good look with your timing/leaving and still hanging around the Club as we fight for another Flag!
All the best for the distracting media hype your leaving has brought about...
All the best with your new job coaching! Oh not the coaching job?!?!? Still an assistant?!? well thank you for that too!
All the best for any possible poaching of talent!
Salty?!? Feck yeah! but thank your mother for the chickens!
It's not about the What! But the How!
Big Part of our current succss?!? Hard to see now with the questionable way you have gone about dealing with your own self interests and future.
Success needs team work your leaving demonstrates your disdain for team values...our Team values, harmony!
Good luck with your future Team values! You walk alone...

Hahaha love it
Best melt sums up a lot of our frustrations perfectly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back