Essendon, where are they now?

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s he got wrong?
I'd be asking what has the club achieved off the back of his decisions. He's lasted through 4 coaches but sooner rather than later you need to ask the question is it the coach or the recruiting that is wrong. So far the coaching has copped the brunt of the blame during his 20 years at the club.

How does this guy still have a job? He's apparently very good at his job as we have been repeatedly told in the media and from bombers fans. He's been getting it wrong the past 15+ years achieving nothing and he's got a contract extension wtf?
Not sure if serious?

The guy delivers.

xHEQkiJ.png

I'd be asking what has the club achieved off the back of his decisions. He's lasted through 4 coaches but sooner rather than later you need to ask the question is it the coach or the recruiting that is wrong. So far the coaching has copped the brunt of the blame during his 20 years at the club.

I knew it, Hird was a scapegoat.

Never change bigfooty!

How does this guy still have a job? He's apparently very good at his job as we have been repeatedly told in the media and from bombers fans. He's been getting it wrong the past 15+ years achieving nothing and he's got a contract extension wtf?
How do your recruiting staff and coaches still have jobs after potentially missing finals 3 years in a row after getting together a decent month of footy in 2016?

Weren’t half the blokes he recruited not playing last night due to injury?
He's been at the club 20 years in recruiting before becoming list manager in 2010. I'm pretty sure he has had a fair say in the full list. If my club had been a complete failure for 15 years I would be asking some serious question of people who have been on long term staff and whether they are the right people for the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been at the club 20 years in recruiting before becoming list manager in 2010. I'm pretty sure he has had a fair say in the full list. If my club had been a complete failure for 15 years I would be asking some serious question of people who have been on long term staff and whether they are the right people for the job.
Did he have a say in the club cheating though? Because that kind of set them back a long way. Two things; Worsfold isn’t working and Hird royally flushed the club down the gurgler with his practices.

He has got to go. Going back to 2013, their drafting has been diabolical. It's no wonder they are so hamstrung.

Merrett and Fantasia outstanding.

Possible keepers but huge under-performers in McGrath, Clarke, Parish, Francis. This is particularly woeful given some of those were extremely high picks.

If Francis wants to go home, they should get rid of him while he still has currency.

2018:
None have played a game.

2017:
first pick at 49. All three picks seem like fails

2016:
McGrath - 4-5/10
Ridley - fail
Begley - borderline fail
Mutch - fail
Clarke - 7/10

2015:

Parish - 5/10
Francis - 4/10
Morgan - fail
Redman - 3/10
Brown - fail
Eades - fail
Hartley - 3/10

2014:
Langford - fail
Laverde - fail

2013:
Merrett - 8/10
Fantasia - 8/10
Dalgeish - fail

Did he have a say in the club cheating though? Because that kind of set them back a long way. Two things; Worsfold isn’t working and Hird royally flushed the club down the gurgler with his practices.
The cheating aspect was out of his control but now your simply blaming the coach for the current predicament. Questions need to asked of all areas when a club isn't living up to there own expectations. My own club demoted the list manager back to recruiting as they thought that was where he was best suited.

Outside of his early years at the club that he would've had minimal input they have been ordinary. If Essendon are happy with that track record then so be it.

McGrath at number 1 in 2016 was also baffling. They already had Merrett, Heppell and Zaharakis on their list as outside mids, and McCluggage was comfortably the best prospect available.

Seemed like they jumped after GWS showed interest in taking him at number 2, not factoring in how different their list dynamics are, and the luxury they have in being able to cherry-pick early selections in areas of need.

He has got to go. Going back to 2013, their drafting has been diabolical. It's no wonder they are so hamstrung.

Merrett and Fantasia outstanding.

Possible keepers but huge under-performers in McGrath, Clarke, Parish, Francis. This is particularly woeful given some of those were extremely high picks.

If Francis wants to go home, they should get rid of him while he still has currency.

2018:
None have played a game.

2017:
first pick at 49. All three picks seem like fails

2016:
McGrath - 4-5/10
Ridley - fail
Begley - borderline fail
Mutch - fail
Clarke - 7/10

2015:

Parish - 5/10
Francis - 4/10
Morgan - fail
Redman - 3/10
Brown - fail
Eades - fail
Hartley - 3/10

2014:
Langford - fail
Laverde - fail

2013:
Merrett - 8/10
Fantasia - 8/10
Dalgeish - fail

I’m honestly not keen to interrupt him. Five year extension.

McGrath at number 1 in 2016 was also baffling. They already had Merrett, Heppell and Zaharakis on their list as outside mids, and McCluggage was comfortably the best prospect available.

Seemed like they jumped after GWS showed interest in taking him at number 2, not factoring in how different their list dynamics are, and the luxury they have in being able to cherry-pick early selections in areas of need.

Shocking pick. Brisbane are laughing.

Considering the media has been calling for Silvagni's head who's been at Carlton less than half the time Dodoro has been in charge, who was also actively trying to get into the finals for most of his time, it is what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back