2019 2nd Ashes Test - Lords 14-18 August 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s amazing the lack of respect on this forum shown to a bowler who has taken over 200 test wickets and took 10 for in his last test and was the leading bowler of the World Cup plus he can bat a bit

Okay I get why he isn’t playing but at least show some f$$king. Respect support all our bowlers please they all deserve a shot
Lack of respect? Ship off mate. Why should he be respected? He went at 4.5 an over in the practice match and has a history of the following;
1. Bowling waywardly
2. Not using the new ball well
3. Putting it down leg
4. Struggling against opening batsman
5. Looking good for bullying 6-11
6. Not using his speed to properly intimidate

I get it, he has taken 200 test poles. So has Siddle. Pattinson would’ve by bypassed Starc if he was injury free, Cummins has gone past him. Come on mate, it’s absolutely not true he deserves a ‘shot’. It’s not Milo have a go.

Yeah I think the combination of him and Lyon together is really getting to the Poms. Siddle doesnt allow you any pressure releasing shots which means they have to target Lyon to maintain their 'attacking' mentality. We have actually tactically planned this out brilliantly so far. The poms want to play like us 95-07 but with Siddle bowling tight they can only attack from one end and thats dangerous AF against Lyon. Hazelwood could add even more control and tightening of the screws which will get in their heads.

I love the tactics so far. If Starc plays a test then we have f’ed up IMO
England will continue to probe away with Woakes and Broad. Both excellent seamers but not express. The UK has shown you don’t need it. Anderson has proved that. Siddle, Cummins and Pattinson / Hazelwood is ideal.

If we can use the ball and conditions well then Lyon becomes a huge threat. I am not sure how the wicket is looking, probably quite grassy if anything like the past. First batting session will be hard either way, but runs should open if we keep wickets in the shed. Need more from our top 3.

On raw figures I don't know how you could blame Starc for a 3-2 result for England at home last time we were there. In the 1st match he got a 5 for in England's first innings, sure his E/R was the worst of our bowlers in that innings but I'll take that when you take half the wickets (2 of them clean bowled). In England's second innings he took another 2 wickets and this time had the best E/R bar Lyon.

In the second match he took a wicket in England's first innings and had the worst E/R but bounced back with our best E/R in the second innings, taking another wicket.

In the third match he took 2 wickets in England's first innings at a better E/R than Hazlewood. In their second dig England were chasing just over a hundred so not a lot can be read into the figures but he took one of the only wickets we claimed in that innings.

In the fourth match he took 6 wickets in England's first innings with the second best E/R, marginally behind Hazlewood's E/R. He didn't bowl in the second innings because England won by more than an innings but it certainly wasn't Starc's fault.

In the fifth match he went wicketless in the first innings but we bowled England out for 149 and he had the best E/R. In the second innings he again went wicketless at an E/R of 2.5.

His worst games (on raw figures) were the two matches we won. In the three games we lost he was our best bowler in two of them and was one of our best in the other.

IMO the difference between the sides was the first match, played at a ground we'd only played at once before where none of our batsman got a decent score apart from Rogers in the first innings. In the second innings our only batsmen with decent scores were Johnson (77) & Warner (52). We lost by 169 with England's batsman making 122 more than we did in the first innings and 47 more in the second. We didn't make enough runs.
It’s pretty straight forward for Starc but he can’t / won’t do it. Just focus on bowling through to Paine. Hitting a length each ball. His inswinger is deadly so that needs to be used early and then later when it reverse swings. He has a poor bouncer and is hell bent on pace.

And yet England are pinning their hopes on Archer. Open the other eye.

Which will cost them. I’m glad they are going that way. Speed is so overrated in these conditions

What has he done thus far that’s proven he shouldn’t be in? I don’t know what his tour results have been like. No Anderson means their hand is forced. If we had an injury we’d have to play Starc. If they’ve got a better seamer with more accuracy in the Woakes mould maybe he should be picked? Let’s see.

Yes which most people here are very happy about as we think it shows how desperate they are and that they are pulling the wrong reign.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has he done thus far that’s proven he shouldn’t be in? I don’t know what his tour results have been like. No Anderson means their hand is forced. If we had an injury we’d have to play Starc. If they’ve got a better seamer with more accuracy in the Woakes mould maybe he should be picked? Let’s see.

Yeah that's the part to remember England have to play archer he is next best quick no matter what his pace or style, if Jimmy was fit they don't play him at Lord's.

Do not understand the hatred for siddle??? His spell of bowling in that second innings was match winning. Sure Lyon and Cummins got wickets but Siddle was almost unplayable and that really tight spell kept the pressure on at both ends enabling the others to take wickets and cash in. When will people learn that Starc is probably the most overrated bowler of recent times. Good with a white ball but easily gets taken too if having a slightly bad day with the red ball. Hazel wood was a great bowler when he burst into the scene but I don’t see him being as good as he used to be. Probably will spend time complaining about the third umpire if he can’t get a few wickets.

Why would you change a winning team? A long rest for Pattinson. If they put starc and hazel wood in and we lose this test - series over
the hate for siddle is he is a Victorian that's why

It is possible to pick an 11 that is most suitable for a test match without hanging s**t on those not in the side. Starc has been a great bowler for Australia. There is no need to downplay his previous performances because he may not be as suitable as others for this series. It is possible to have more than 4 good bowlers available. He is a very good strike bowler with figures to prove it. High ER, OK average and exceptional SR.

The same rainy weather was forecast before the game in Birmingham and yet we lost hardly any time due to rain.
Birmingham was more a lot of 20-30% chance of rain basically every day, rain that mostly didn't arrive. London is in the 80-90% range some days, and with very little difference between minimum and maximum. That usually means, yes, it will rain and some of it will probably be heavy.
(Then again, I didn't think it would snow at Manuka last Friday. Still surprised by that. So what would I know.)

in fairness he does have the potential to be destructive. quick and has good control.

Yes but how long can he sustain it - and control with a white bowl with half the team guarding boundaries is not the same as control with a red ball

Yeah forgot that game happened

Did you forget that Matthew Wade got selected and made a ton in the last Test? Not bad for an over the hill 32 year old!

tenor.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back