Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spoken to at least 1 Crows fan since their Collingwood debacle, who is adamant that the club will finish in the bottom 4 in 2020. Posters like subaru are just 1 of a myriad of reasons why I hope it's an accurate prediction.
I didn’t even realise Subi was liking posts . She ( I think it’s a she) and I have each other on ignore.

It's a fine line - but for the bounce of a ball, an incorrectly called goal, a last minute smother of a ball, he could have a reputation very close to Clarkson's.

People quickly forget that Hawthorn didn’t earn the right to host the 2014 and 2015 grand finals, and if not for exceptionally one-sided umpiring in both prelim finals, doesn’t qualify for either.

I genuinely am stumped as to what options the Crows have.

Gibbs, Jenkins, Walker, Betts, Sloane

Where do they go? What is the play here?

Who would trade for them and take on their contracts?

The Crouch brothers? I think they'll find their standing in the game isn't as high as they think it is.

They'll get something for Keath, but not adequate compensation for someone whose had a great season.

They can't attract players to their club to save themselves.

They're f’ed. And I like it.

They won't get Grundy either, unless they pay him $1 million plus p/y, they do that then they're risking of going over the salary cap.

People quickly forget that Hawthorn didn’t earn the right to host the 2014 and 2015 grand finals, and if not for exceptionally one-sided umpiring in both prelim finals, doesn’t qualify for either.

Even the camrys were stiff in 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you get caught up with opposition posters to such a degree that you need to put eachother on ignore?
Was a few years back when I was newer on here and went on the bay and didn’t really get what a cesspool it was. I thought I could talk some sense into her / it but eventually realised she was just a toxic piece of something or other. Anyway she doesn’t put many on ignore so I must have really gotten to her in the end, in spite of her feigned bravado.
That was a long time ago and I forget she exists until I see the odd comment on here.

I always think about how much better footy would be if all that talent GC & GWS took up was spread evenly across 16 teams.
Controversial opinion time, the addition of GWS and GC has not diluted the talent pool in the comp, onfield strategies have.

When GWS and GC first started signing players, the Australian population was <22 million, it is now 25 million. So we've had a >14% increase in population, for a 12.5 % increase in teams. Each AFL team today has a greater talent pool to draw on compared to the start of the 21st century.

And that ignores the fact that these two new teams are expansion clubs, designed to increase participation rates in Queensland and NSW (12.5 million or 50% of Australia's population- HUGE markets). GWS' membership has cracked 30K now and Auskick participation in Queensland has seen huge year on year gains for a decade, not to mention the impact AFLW will have over the next few years in delivering a bigger piece of the "hearts and minds" pie. Talent coming out of the NSW and Queensland academies is booming and their SoO sides would account for SA pretty easily now.

So why is skill level deemed to be declining? I'd point to the GPS stats. Players these days are expected to run upwards of 14 - 18 km per game while hitting contests at full pace and impact; in this age of rolling zones gone are the days you'd see a true 1 on 1 between a full back and a full forward in the goalsquare as half the team has flooded back to support. With the body under so much more stress during games compared to 20 years ago it should be little wonder that skills are down.

So don't blame the expansion clubs for declining skill execution, blame the increasing professionalism of the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Controversial opinion time, the addition of GWS and GC has not diluted the talent pool in the comp, onfield strategies have.

When GWS and GC first started signing players, the Australian population was <22 million, it is now 25 million. So we've had a >14% increase in population, for a 12.5 % increase in teams. Each AFL team today has a greater talent pool to draw on compared to the start of the 21st century.

And that ignores the fact that these two new teams are expansion clubs, designed to increase participation rates in Queensland and NSW (12.5 million or 50% of Australia's population- HUGE markets). GWS' membership has cracked 30K now and Auskick participation in Queensland has seen huge year on year gains for a decade, not to mention the impact AFLW will have over the next few years in delivering a bigger piece of the "hearts and minds" pie. Talent coming out of the NSW and Queensland academies is booming and their SoO sides would account for SA pretty easily now.

So why is skill level deemed to be declining? I'd point to the GPS stats. Players these days are expected to run upwards of 14 - 18 km per game while hitting contests at full pace and impact; in this age of rolling zones gone are the days you'd see a true 1 on 1 between a full back and a full forward in the goalsquare as half the team has flooded back to support. With the body under so much more stress during games compared to 20 years ago it should be little wonder that skills are down.

So don't blame the expansion clubs for declining skill execution, blame the increasing professionalism of the AFL.

I blame the coaches.

I didn’t even realise Subi was liking posts . She ( I think it’s a she) and I have each other on ignore.
Well she wont be liking posts here anymore.
See she posted on Adelaide Board, her like posting prevlidges, on the Port board, have been taken away from her.
Wonder how that happened .. :devil:
Guess we wont see her on here again. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :)

I always think about how much better footy would be if all that talent GC & GWS took up was spread evenly across 16 teams.

I will forever defend the decisions to expand the comp for GWS and GC. They're long term crucial pillars for the AFL to grow up North. GC may be wank on the field but off the field they're huge for junior rates in footy exploding and garnering interest in the sport. Why that isn't touched on more genuinely annoys me because it's almost like the media (especially here in Victoria) want the AFL to kill off the Suns despite all the good work they're doing. I agree with talent being diluted but it'll even itself out eventually.

What isn't fine is the fact that there are a trifecta of s**t house Victorian clubs with * all support/money/success who barely get 5 people and a ******* pigeon to games at one of the premier sporting venues in this country yet continue to leech off the league and say they deserve to be in this league because they've been in it for 100+ years already even though they've done nothing but ******* suck. The AFL forever ****ed this league in every way possible by not killing off North, WB and St Kilda 25 years ago and we'll forever have to carry those shitstains. Tassie (and even Canberra) should be in the league over those 3.

I will forever defend the decisions to expand the comp for GWS and GC. They're long term crucial pillars for the AFL to grow up North. GC may be wank on the field but off the field they're huge for junior rates in footy exploding and garnering interest in the sport. Why that isn't touched on more genuinely annoys me because it's almost like the media (especially here in Victoria) want the AFL to kill off the Suns despite all the good work they're doing. I agree with talent being diluted but it'll even itself out eventually.

What isn't fine is the fact that there are a trifecta of s**t house Victorian clubs with fu** all support/money/success who barely get 5 people and a ******* pigeon to games at one of the premier sporting venues in this country yet continue to leech off the league and say they deserve to be in this league because they've been in it for 100+ years already even though they've done nothing but ******* suck. The AFL forever f’ed this league in every way possible by not killing off North, WB and St Kilda 25 years ago and we'll forever have to carry those s**tstains. Tassie (and even Canberra) should be in the league over those 3.

Replace St Kilda andWB with Melbourne and Hawthorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What isn't fine is the fact that there are a trifecta of s**t house Victorian clubs with fu** all support/money/success who barely get 5 people and a ******* pigeon to games at one of the premier sporting venues in this country yet continue to leech off the league and say they deserve to be in this league because they've been in it for 100+ years already even though they've done nothing but ******* suck. The AFL forever f’ed this league in every way possible by not killing off North, WB and St Kilda 25 years ago and we'll forever have to carry those s**tstains. Tassie (and even Canberra) should be in the league over those 3
I very much agree, the popular view is very short-sighted and struggles to see anything past "but the crowds!" There could be zero growth and TV rights alone would justify the move.

In addition to us effectively subsiding Victorian clubs / SANFL with our shitty stadium deal and lack of FTA TV, for me the terribad part was how our nadir coincided with the eyes of the draft being picked out by GC and GWS, with nothing more than a "ah unlucky oh well" by the AFL. Even more grating is you just know there would have been compensation for the big Victorian clubs if this had impacted them.

So Steele Sidebottom got kicked in the balls so hard at training it ruptured his testicles and requires surgery.

That must have been so painful. I want to know who did the kicking because that is some power they have in their leg.

Steele Balls>>>>>>>>>>>Steele Bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back