Review Geelong defeats WC by 20 points. GO you Good things!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

That was very satisfying. I didn’t go in confident at all, mainly because I think the Eagles are one of the best three teams in it, at least.

The hallmark of a great team win is that it’s not on the back of any single individual performance, or even a few key performers. We had players down for parts of the game who were huge at other times, Dangerfield’s last quarter was colossal for example.

The need to respond and to start well was spoken about all week and to do both was very very pleasing. Early on just to see players hunting the opposition and even giving away a few frees was exactly what we needed to see. Then, in the blue and gold, we had McGovern and Darling dropping chest marks - proving that what happened to us last week can happen to anyone.

And then of course there’s the small matter of taking chances in a cut throat final. Too often in recent times we have killed ourselves by missing easy chances. Last night was much much better in that regard. Hawkins led the way on that front.

While I’m in that area of the ground, Ratugolea is the most exciting prospect we’ve had since... Menzel? *gulp* To think he has only played 20-something games and missed a whole season with a broken leg. The talent is supreme. We are in for a fun ride with him for the next decade.

Of course, all of this will quickly be forgotten with a limp performance in six days time. The whole fabric of the club can be changed on Friday night. It’s going to be very telling.
good points .. Menzel.. ?
Agree strongly with you here

Kolo had an excellent first quarter granted and looked a million dollars when the team had all the momentum but crapped the bed again with dropped marks and poor positioning to overly contribute to the Eagles renaissance in the second and third quarters.

His form has been poor in the back half of the season.

No need to guild the lily due to a couple of contested marks in one quarter. He still makes inexplicable blunders and you tend to hold your breath when he kicks the ball out of defence. These deficiencies are what polarise opinion as mistakes down back are generally crucified by the opponent.

There were a couple of bad errors - he should have been able to spoil a Darling mark which he didn't is one that comes to mind but overall he was very good. The problem with backs is that their errors are amplified compared to others so you have to cut them a little slack. I want to see him back up with another strong finals performance next week though.

Can't people be happy with a good win on the big stage against quality opposition? You know, the reigning premiers. The challenge for the group is to back it up, but the day I can't enjoy a good finals win is the day I stop following the game. Embrace it.
No still angry about last week why could the players not do that last week takes another bad final to come out and play like finals should be played

Duncan has been ruled out for the prelim already. Hard to know what to do with the forward line. We haven't really tried any other talls but Sav all year. He'll struggle by himself. Could try playing Danger up there more, or they could bring Smith in and try playing Stanley up there... Hawkins is so important to us. I wish he wouldn't punch people.

One obvious move would be Taylor forward and Hendo back (or maybe vice versa). Taylor got hold of them when Hawk was out last time from memory.

We have decent options at least.

We all have our own biases for and against certain players. I’d like to think we can acknowledge when we are wrong. Or temporarily wrong ;-)

Atkins was another who I was happy to see dropped that played his part last night. In fact I think we had 22 contributors. Need more from Parfitt I reckon but he was ok. He’d be the nervous one I reckon if Duncan makes it back.
Duncan is already out for next week.

We need to bring even more heat next week, cause the corrupt afl will do everything in it’s powers to manufacture a tuggers/pies gf. It’s their wet dream to have the 2 biggest teams facing off in the biggest game of the year.

If you thought the umpiring was insanely biased last night, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Hawkins is a lock for a suspension too, gil will make sure of it.

No still angry about last week why could the players not do that last week takes another bad final to come out and play like finals should be played

Frustrating loss last week. But at least we're still in it. If we play like we did last night we can go all the way. So it's not all doom and gloom. No point looking in the rear vision mirror, we can't change what happened week one, but we can control what we do this week and hopefully next.

Seeing such a great win being used to try and provoke / dumb down others is disappointing. It's a childish urge.

Anyhow, it's an internet forum, so it takes all sorts....... even you and I 😂

Eyes on next week now. I think the first consideration must be Hawkins. What's our best Plan B?
Not Fort

Prob have to shape it round Sav and Rohan now. Not ideal

We need to bring even more heat next week, cause the corrupt afl will do everything in it’s powers to manufacture a tuggers/pies gf. It’s their wet dream to have the 2 biggest teams facing off in the biggest game of the year.

If you thought the umpiring was insanely biased last night, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Hawkins has no one to blame but himself if he gets suspended.

He said last night he was touch and go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to give credit where credit is due and jumping out of the blocks tonite put us in a good place. Very short celebration though. By playing so poorly last week we have put ourselves on the side of the draw that matches us up against the "red" hot Favourites for the flag. The Guthrie and Tuohy haters get a week off at least. Got to be a bit concerned with Ablett tho expected more from the champ in the finals and has not really fired a bullet yet. Hopefully he can turn it on next week.

Regarding Gaz, I don't think he is 100% fit and seems to have a groin issue from viewing his movements. Twice he had shots insde 50 and failed to make the distance. A fit Gaz would have easily cleared the distance.

Dare I mention the weather? Even if Fort was a chance to play, forecast showers mean he's little to no chance if Hawkins misses.

Playing Stanley meant Sav could play predominantly forwards, and he delivered. We'll probably need another option on Friday - Rohan, Danger or Taylor or a combination of all three.

yes.. one has to say..who would you rather be playing ina PF.... Rich or Bris/GWS

Its a bit like the Boomers playing Spain in the semi's

I don't think it matters. If we're winning the flag we were always going to have to beat Richmond at some stage. Does it matter if it's the GF or prelim final? I just don't get why people want an easier prelim. You need to beat the best to be the best. Bring it on, we can beat Richmond.

I don't think it matters. If we're winning the flag we were always going to have to beat Richmond at some stage. Does it matter if it's the GF or prelim final? I just don't get why people want an easier prelim. You need to beat the best to be the best. Bring it on, we can beat Richmond.
I think I actually prefer what's happened with our finals run because if anything it's preparing the team for tougher matches rather than something of an easy win and not being match ready should the next week present a harder contest

Last edited:
It'll either be Harry up forward, or Rohan in for Hawkins with about a hundred different players being rotated in and out of the forward line (including Harry).

I said it last night in my drunken state, and surprisingly I still feel the same way in my sober state - I actually don't mind if Hawkins misses. We're far too predictable when he plays, and him missing could be just the catalyst we need to throw something different at the Tiges. Either way, as long as it's only a week, I'm not fussed. If he plays, he's in good form. If he misses, we change things up.

Would rather play Richmond in a Prelim anyway. Playing them in a Granny would be too much for some of our mentally weaker players. We'll probably lose, but we mustn't lose badly, if we're to show that we're a better side this year. Minimum acceptable outcome was either a GF or a very close Prelim loss. I still stick by that.

As far as I'm concerned, the pressure is off, as I didn't even think we'd be playing next week! Go for broke and bring on the Prelim!!

Yep. It was either going to be PF or GF that we had to face them. As the Tigers showed in last year’s PF, the favourite doesn’t always handle the occasion well. It’s a matter of who turns up on the day.
We’re right in this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back