2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

U18 performance doesn't mean much. Hulett killed it at U18 level.

Hulett would have been a great player for us if not for the go-home factor.

You can’t deny being away from his native Sandringham would have been difficult

Better off recruiting from Southbank / Jolimont areas than reaching for outsiders.

No one said don't, but with players from other AFL-playing states, you have to pick someone knowing that if they turn out to be decent, the home state clubs are going to be tapping them on the shoulder trying to turn their head every season. If the best player in the draft is from Antarctica, pick him, but do so knowing that in 4 or 5 years there's a chance he'll want out to return home and be closer to his penguins.

That’s true. But under the system when/if they do go home you generally get compensated fairly in trade. Hogan walks out, May walks in etc.

Theoretically, recruiting the more talented interstate kid should always be option number one. He makes your team better which increases chances of success which increases the likelihood not only he’ll stay but that others will too and yet more others will want to come from other clubs. You have to take that kind of positive outlook and just accept that a few are going to be wrenched out of the joint from time to time.

U18 performance doesn't mean much. Hulett killed it at U18 level.
So did Josh Kennedy and Tom Hawkins.

Isnt it more of an indictment that he didnt kick bulk goals at that level? Or for the colts in the WAFL

So did Josh Kennedy and Tom Hawkins.

Isnt it more of an indictment that he didnt kick bulk goals at that level? Or for the colts in the WAFL
No. We aren't drafting any player for what they did at U18 level we are drafting him for what we think he might do at senior level

No. We aren't drafting any player for what they did at U18 level we are drafting him for what we think he might do at senior level
I understand that sentiment and didnt bat an eyelid when we rookie listed Lachie Filopovic.

Mate he’s not being recruited as a key forward as such. But he’ll provide an option as competition for Weideman Preuss etc whilst he develops in ruck.
Why would we use pick 3 for ruck depth then?

Just want to say I have no doubt Jackson will be a gun ruckman so Im not knocking him as a playrr. Just dont see the fit for us unless we are planning on getting rid of Gawn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many people concentrating on Jackson’s perceived weakness (his kicking) and ignoring all of his strengths and upside. How is Gawn’s kicking? Yet he is clearly the best or second best ruckman in the league, dominates games and gives our team a huge advantage in games. Can Naitanui kick well? No! But he can do so much more.

We are not reaching for Jackson. He would be taken in the next pick or two if it’s not us. And a player like him is so hard to find. How many half back flankers are in the draft compared to a player like Jackson?

Very excited to be getting this sort of talent onto our list and won’t be surprised at all to see us swap picks 10 and 28 for two teen picks and get Weightman/Pickett etc. If Bennell works out too (a big if) it could be a fantastic trade and draft period and I’m proud of the club for being so aggressive and getting s**t done. Bring on 2020 already!

So many people concentrating on Jackson’s perceived weakness (his kicking) and ignoring all of his strengths and upside. How is Gawn’s kicking? Yet he is clearly the best or second best ruckman in the league, dominates games and gives our team a huge advantage in games. Can Naitanui kick well? No! But he can do so much more.

We are not reaching for Jackson. He would be taken in the next pick or two if it’s not us. And a player like him is so hard to find. How many half back flankers are in the draft compared to a player like Jackson?

Very excited to be getting this sort of talent onto our list and won’t be surprised at all to see us swap picks 10 and 28 for two teen picks and get Weightman/Pickett etc. If Bennell works out too (a big if) it could be a fantastic trade and draft period and I’m proud of the club for being so aggressive and getting s**t done. Bring on 2020 already!
Well said. Watching Grundy a few years ago he seemed to hack it out of the contest a lot. Similar to Jackson highlights. But this can be worked on. He has speed agility and a strong contested game. Those things are harder to work on. He’s a very exciting prospect.

If we're having a fire sale on top 10 picks it makes me think that we're not completely sure how to rank all these similarly rated players eg Serong, Ash, Kemp etc. whilst others teams clearly have a preferred player in that spot and are willing to trade to get that player. I just hope we aren't getting too cute and before we know it all the aforementioned players are gone and we're left to pick one wanted small forward out of four mid 20s picks.

Just want to say I have no doubt Jackson will be a gun ruckman so Im not knocking him as a playrr. Just dont see the fit for us unless we are planning on getting rid of Gawn.
Gawn/Jackson = Cox/Nik Nat

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Jackson and Pickett Aye? Big mistake for the dees.

Would of gone
Young/Stephens then grab a small Forward with 28
There is probably still time for you to schedule a meeting at Dees HQ to educate the paid professionals on how they're wrong.

I can’t see either of Port or Geelong swapping two of their teen picks for 10 and 28.

I’m not sure but if it gets to our pick and Kemp or Serong are there I can see Geelong overpaying a bit for 10 so they can grab one of the local boys. Will be interesting to see. We’re not going to trade 10 though to slide back too far and without pick 28 coming in enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back