2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't sound like he'll still be there at 15 is the issue. As TK said, if we want him, just take him, and if we want him, we'll have to use 10 to be sure we get him. Hawthorn, Port and the Dogs (11,12,13) all like him as well, if we trade out to 15, odds on one of them take him before hand.

I don’t get how a kid can come in from a 20-30 fancy to suddenly in the space of s month being mid first round hot property. It’s like we’ve open flagged our interest so the Dogs, Port and Hawks all go with a bit of groupthink on it. Not sure that’s genuine or they’re trying to spook us. I guess you can’t get too cute about things and just pull the trigger on who you want at your pick.

Last edited:

I don’t get out a kid can come in from a 20-30 fancy to suddenly in the space of s month being mid first round hot property. It’s like we’ve open flagged our interest so the Dogs, Port and Hawks all go with a bit of groupthink on it. Not sure that’s genuine or they’re trying to spook us. I guess you can’t get too cute about and just pull the trigger on who you want at your pick.
Pretty bloody easily. To get an invite to the draft camp someone has to flag an intention of drafting you in the first round. Each player has an agent who's spreading any meeting trying to get his client further up the draft order.

Just because Knightmare and Cal Twomey didn't know clubs weren't interested him doesn't mean clubs weren't interested in him

Maybe that actually shows how brilliant a job we did of hiding our interest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering who we are widely tipped to draft early, who are we hoping to get with our pick 28?

Sharp would fit a need for mine.
Georgiades or however you spell his name
Taylor or Williams possibly

Really? Goes at over 70% disposal efficiency. About the same as Grundy. Don’t understand the focus on a ruckman’s kicking and ignoring all of his other strengths. We are not recruiting him for his kicking.

Also a reminder that Gawn cannot kick for s**t! Should we get rid of him?

Gawn's disposal, hands, etc are pretty good for a ruckman, he just likes to shank important set shots for goal every now and then. In general play he's better than most of our midfielders.

According to one mock media draft I saw Freo would get D stephens, Young and Henry for their first round. Now they are inspired choices! They are exactly the players we need in my opinion. Oh well, too late now it seems. At least we'll get a clever small forward.
Fremantle rate Jackson #1

Fremantle rate Jackson #1

Just doing the groundwork early saying they rate him, love him and want him at the club in a couple of years. Easy to say where you rate good players when your first pick is 7 or 8 (or 51 etc).

Up there with "We can't believe he was still available at our pick" spiel.

HeraldSun has us taking Pickett at 10 and Hawks taking Kemp at 11. I hope we know what we’re doing there. Absolutely crucial decision we cannot afford to get wrong. Must say I’m really nervous about this one. Much more so than the Jackson selection.

HeraldSun has us taking Pickett at 10 and Hawks taking Kemp at 11. I hope we know what we’re doing there. Absolutely crucial decision we cannot afford to get wrong. Must say I’m really nervous about this one. Much more so than the Jackson selection.

Disappointed if we do that. We already have quite a tall, slow list, but the key thing to remember is that it can always get taller and slower. Don't agree with drafting any of these small, speedy types. Short-term thinking. Bigger is better.

Out of interest does anyone remember where rioli was predicted to go in the draft? Rekon Pickett shows a lot of the same qualities & being tough in a small forward position is a massive positive.. He looks like the type who in a professional environment could turn it on very quickly

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The meta-game will swing around from Richmond's pace and pressure game to Goody's Giants and every club will soon be emulating our 6 ruckman on the field at all times

Remove this Banner Ad

Back