Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
According to the Herald Sun, these scandals made the top 10 list of the past 10 years:

1. Essendon drugs suspensions
2. Murder of Crows coach Phil Walsh
3. John McCarthy dies in Las Vegas
4. AFL drugs bans
5. Melbourne tanking scandal
6. Adam Goodes booed
7. Ross Lyon moves to Fremantle
8. Lance Franklin signs with Sydney for 10 years
9. Lachie Whitfield suspension
10. Brendan Fevola sacked by Brisbane Lions

Which other AFL scandal of the past 10 years do you think should have made it on to the list done by the Herald Sun?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

If we're honest most of those 'scandals' are pretty innocuous and boring . 4 to 10 are fairly low level.

Not even sure what 4 is?

7,9 and 10 I hardly remember at all.
You think what happened to Goodes is fairly low level?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"unexpected free agency signing" is hardly a scandal either.
I think it's referring to the fall out. Loss of Cola, trade ban, nasty voice mails from the AFL commission chair at the time.

People forget what else went on

Fev wearing the dress while swinging a dildo should replace the number 10 spot. Or fev drunk at Brownlow. One or the other.

The Ben Cousins fall from grace as captain should be right behind the EFC debacle.

Kerr caught on tape talking about his adoration for ketamine is another.

Gardiner crashing his car into a tree is mild but noteworthy.

Kerr, Cousins and Gardiner being at the scene of a nightclub gangland shooting was memorable.

But nothing...absolutely nothing compares to the shock and awe dumbfounding revelation when the news broke of that infamous party where it was revealed that King Carey had ruined the very fabric of his club by doing what he did with Kelly Stevens.

The Essendon thing was bigger...but never has one player, a legend of the game and an immortal of his time...singlehandedly destroyed everything around his club.

John Elliot and his disgraceful ways running Carlton is right up there too.

Surely the fact that there is a cup named after Dick Pratt has to be on the rope of the list

Also the one that has Mike Fitzpatrick award catering licenses to himself as a commissioner

Interesting that those two didn’t rate a mention

Ahhh...yes...Fitzpatrick. Thanks for the reminder.

What a disgusting, corrupt situation that was.

Fev wearing the dress while swinging a dildo should replace the number 10 spot. Or fev drunk at Brownlow. One or the other.

The Ben Cousins fall from grace as captain should be right behind the EFC debacle.

Kerr caught on tape talking about his adoration for ketamine is another.

Gardiner crashing his car into a tree is mild but noteworthy.

Kerr, Cousins and Gardiner being at the scene of a nightclub gangland shooting was memorable.

But nothing...absolutely nothing compares to the shock and awe dumbfounding revelation when the news broke of that infamous party where it was revealed that King Carey had ruined the very fabric of his club by doing what he did with Kelly Stevens.

The Essendon thing was bigger...but never has one player, a legend of the game and an immortal of his time...singlehandedly destroyed everything around his club.

John Elliot and his disgraceful ways running Carlton is right up there too.
You do realise it's last 10 years yeah?

You do realise it's last 10 years yeah?

Yes...but who in this joint sticks to thread topic guidelines.

While I’m at it...Hamish running over Cotchins dog is another scandal of biblical proportions.

Yes...but who in this joint sticks to thread topic guidelines.

While I’m at it...Hamish running over Cotchins dog is another scandal of biblical proportions.

OK then, if we are dropping the 'past 10 year rule', here are few from quirky ones from my dad's era and one from mine that are not widely known:

- In the early 1940's Jack Dyer and few of his team mates would often arrive to play games drunk.

- In the early 1960's Ted Whitten woke up in middle of the night, started to get dressed, then his wife switched on the beside lamp and asked; "Where are you going and what's the 20 pounds you left here for?". Ted forgot he was at home...

- John Nicholls, his brothers and associates were well known figures in Melbourne's underworld community in the 1950's and 60's.

- 1991. Robert Walls, Brisbane Bears coach, ordered the bashing of one his players, Shane Strempel at a training session. Walls said Strempel "needed to be taught a lesson". The bizarre training session only ended when another player said they should stop, or Strempel might be killed.

Last edited:
I'd probably push the Adam Goodes booing up to #3 behind the Dank & Walsh.

The Andrew Gaff suspension should probably be top 10.

What was scandalous about the Gaff suspension? He punched a guy and got weeks. I don’t get how that was a scandal.

Agree with you on the Goodes thing though.

OK then, if we are dropping the 'past 10 year rule', here are few from quirky ones from my dad's era and one from mine that are not widely known:

- In the early 1950's Jack Dyer and few of his team mates would often arrive to play games drunk.

- In the early 1960's Ted Whitten woke up in middle of the night, started to get dressed, then his wife switched on the beside lamp and asked; "Where are you going and what's the $20 you left here for?". Ted forgot he was at home...

- John Nicholls, his brothers and associates were well known figures in Melbourne's underworld community in the 1950's and 60's.

- 1991. Robert Walls, Brisbane Bears coach, ordered the bashing of one his players, Shane Strempel at a training session. Walls said Strempel "needed to be taught a lesson". The bizarre training session only ended when another player said they should stop, or Strempel might be killed.

- 1910. Two Carlton players accepting bribes to throw games. Both were suspended for 99 matches.

Hard to think of anything bigger than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back