"Family Reasons" will it become an overuse term?

Remove this Banner Ad

Miners can spend more time away from families then politicians. Some truckers too.

Plus senior politicians often have second homes in Canberra and their families spend time their with them.

Do those professions have the ability to move back home and work in the same industry on the same or better pay?

If they did have that choice they likely would do it.

This whole debate is moot anyway. A player saying they want to move for family reasons more often is just an excuse to make it easier for everyone. The real reasons most players move is for more money and better work life balance and conditions. Sometimes it is personality clashes with coaches or team mates.

The family reason is just a cover story. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Does it really matter though why a player wants to go to a different club? If they want to go then you trade them, plain and simple. I'm not really bothered about why they want to leave.

This.

I want my club to have a clear direction list wise, including salary.

If a player wants more than my club thinks they are worth, and it may affect the list direction, bye bye. Move for family reasons or because you want extra salary, I don't care. Neither is any more noble than the other. Jared Polec only has 3-4 years to take advantage of his prime, why shouldn't he seek out the best offer?

We get far too focused on the players now. It's almost an Americanisation from sports such as the NBA where fans will just follow a player and 'turncoat' against teams often if the player moves.

I go for North Melbourne. I don't go for any particular player, as long as they wear blue and white. I have soft spots for some players not wearing North jumpers, but really, I don't care if it's Jack Ziebell or Josh Kelly or whoever else, the attachment is to the team.

This.

I want my club to have a clear direction list wise, including salary.

If a player wants more than my club thinks they are worth, and it may affect the list direction, bye bye. Move for family reasons or because you want extra salary, I don't care. Neither is any more noble than the other. Jared Polec only has 3-4 years to take advantage of his prime, why shouldn't he seek out the best offer?

We get far too focused on the players now. It's almost an Americanisation from sports such as the NBA where fans will just follow a player and 'turncoat' against teams often if the player moves.

I go for North Melbourne. I don't go for any particular player, as long as they wear blue and white. I have soft spots for some players not wearing North jumpers, but really, I don't care if it's Jack Ziebell or Josh Kelly or whoever else, the attachment is to the team.
It’s a fair point to consider how many of us footy fans really give a hoot what reasons the players use to change clubs. And if a player wants more than what the club can offer, maybe just say that and that can be it?

If we hear “family reasons” and also the trade comes with a pay rise, most would probably assume the pay rise was the prime motive anyway (at least that’s what I would assume).

A lot of you wouldn't have to worry if you were drafted interstate and you didn't see your family.

If some of the stupid posts here are anything to go by, your family will happily put you on the plane, if it means not seeing you every day.

Most of us have long got off the tit and moved out of the nest to spread our wings, wipe our own arse and sow our seeds. One day you could do the same.

Go CATTERS

fu**in oath it will be.

It's funny how players talk about how small their window for earning is (despite the fact there are now a multitude of jobs available post career) and yet they can't spend 10 years living in another state from their EXTENDED families.

I'm already up to 7 but I keep in touch with family by taking trips home to see them on holidays and other irregular times.

Players are well paid enough to fly almost at will home and don't give me crap about clubs not letting them - if a club wants to retain a player who genuinely cannot live away without flying home every second weekend then they will accommodate that.

Also I think we need to be a bit RUTHLESS. Players shouldn't just get to demand a move home, and clubs be made to feel guilty for keeping them to contracts. That's starting to creep in a little bit.

Also Skype is ******* amazing for keeping families close. Clue up, jocks.
Same with mental health. It will or already is overused.

I like how when player say they want to go back home, they choose a particular team...

If you want to go home, name your price, and any team in that state can trade for you. I mean, you're home with your family.

Correct :thumbsu:

All this crap about "family reasons" or "my girlfriend's cat" etc is just a total load of rubbish.

Sign the contract, then honour the contract.

Do those professions have the ability to move back home and work in the same industry on the same or better pay?

If they did have that choice they likely would do it.

This whole debate is moot anyway. A player saying they want to move for family reasons more often is just an excuse to make it easier for everyone. The real reasons most players move is for more money and better work life balance and conditions. Sometimes it is personality clashes with coaches or team mates.

The family reason is just a cover story. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

Sometimes it life after footy.

This just in: Andrew Gaff to play for Victoria for "family reasons". Apparently playing AFL isn't playing at the top level.

“Any time you can play against the best and with the best would be amazing. We don’t get to do it too much in the AFL.”

Ouch - cop that Nic Nat.

This just in: Andrew Gaff to play for Victoria for "family reasons". Apparently playing AFL isn't playing at the top level.

“Any time you can play against the best and with the best would be amazing. We don’t get to do it too much in the AFL.”

Ouch - cop that Nic Nat.
Ouch?

Um Nick will likely be playing against Gaff.

The best v the best!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back