Autopsy Round 1 v Tigers - If only the quarters were longer

Remove this Banner Ad

This ‘oh Tigers didn’t really try most of that game’ is rubbish.

They didn’t look like they were trying because we were dominating possession, and they were worrying about not only the entries coming in, but also the way were seemingly creating opportunities out of nowhere once the ball was in our forward 50.

Don’t buy into the Tigers mythology. They dominated the first quarter because of their stars, and it was those same stars who bailed them out when we were pressing in the last. No doubting their system, but it’s obvious how many average players they have running around in their best 22.

And a bit of a helping hand from the maggots

We need to bring Williamson into the team STAT, though. And we also need another capable midfielder.

Yes. Agree. I’d have Willo before Newman every day of the week. As for another mid, for me that’s Dow. I mean, on tonight’s performance you wouldn’t have him in your team but I think that’s where he needs to be.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's a very good forward line if we can actually get them on the park together.

Martin is just amazing...can take overhead marks, shrugged tackles, tough, kicked well off both feet, good accuracy kicking for goal. That goal he kicked when he won the ball, ran off Broad and snapped a goal while Broad was tackling him was elite.

Going to be such a good player for us. The players clearly already seem to really like him, and his nous and composure are otherworldly at times.

That goal was exceptional, but I also loved his perfect pass on the left to Cuningham.

Jsos will be very good with a few legit talls and crumbers around, his shots for goal are not elite, his strengths are creating something out of nothing, assists.
yep, works better when 10 & 30 are about........

As a team, we have to work so much harder than the opposition because of how bad our skills are.

Also, tonight showed why many of us were hoping we could snag an a-grade midfielder in last years trade period, we still need good enough help for Cripps in the midfield.

Our skills were much better in the second half, which led to us scoring pretty heavily.

Yes we still need an A grade mid to help Cripps sadly...and Murphy, who was productive, won't be going much longer.

Setters & Dow haven't stepped up and look a fair way off. Even Fisher isn't quite what we probably hoped he would be yet.
Stocker still off the pace, LOB currently not in best 22, Kemp & Philip 1st year players.

Lots of high draft picks there but only Walsh is contributing to a good standard, though Walsh's efficiency wasn't great tonight.

Time to step up Gov. 2 years ago Cas was being labeled as a filler until someone better came along. He pulled his finger and has become quite a pivotal utility. Gov came with a price on his head which we paid and he hasn’t done much to repay the faith.
Couldn't disagree more mate. Richmond are the best defensive intercept team in the competition, and the way he, Jack, and Martin competed was great.

Never ever happy or satisfied with a loss, but am pleased the boys showed some old dark navy blue ticker in the 2nd half, Weitering's maturing as a quality KPD is heartening, as was Doc's return, and well someone please up load the Jack Martin highlights to YouTube online.

We needed that 2nd half, so Cathartic, even if The Tigers took their pedal of the gas.

Shattered for Kreuzer though, really gutted for the big fellow.

Time to move on. Go with Pittonet for the rest of the season. Same with Simmo, he can on field coach in the twos. Take Dow and Fish with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry..anyone who is remotely happy with that is gunna be happy to stay where we are. That was total garbage. Yeah yeah yeah we fought back..so f what.
When the direction of the game had 2 b decided so guys went missing. Too many are not competitive for long enough. In so many games last yr they completely go missing in parts of games. Happened again.
Dow Fisher cunningham Newnes setterfield gibbons..where the f were they in that first half. All ive read on this sute is setterfield..hes been an absolute dud..makes poir decusions and fumbkes to much..seriously how is he anywhere near the ones..staggering.
Dow the same. These are some of the guys we need to step up to get better.
Im totally frustrated..there is so much natural talent but they arent hard enough or competitive enough fir lobg enough..its that simple. You guys need to stop the bs and call the constant culprits out. This richmond teams is about as least talented flag side ive seen in 45 yrs....yet they know their roles and play them consistently stick to a simple game plan and just play hard comp footy.
We have the talent.
Do we have the desire to do what rich r doing. I see it in a few like cripps..have to qtion it with a few.

Yes. Agree. I’d have Willo before Newman every day of the week. As for another mid, for me that’s Dow. I mean, on tonight’s performance you wouldn’t have him in your team but I think that’s where he needs to be.

We can't play Dow in the midfield, unfortunately. He's just too physically inept at the moment. Not sure what happened to the guy who brought intensity in his first year.

The Murphy bashing starts again. Give it a rest, Tried his guts out, made some errors but give him a break. I thought he was good and was it 26 possessions.

He played bruise free with no hurt factor.
Disposal was poor and decision making was woeful. Was embarrassed by Martin on more than one occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an aside - because I’m sure you all care - I’m not bothering to watch other games (aside from the ones that feature us). Without the crowd and the atmosphere it a feels like a training drill. Yes, I’m that shallow.

That first half was soooo frustrating. Almost at breaking point when Lambert got caught and was given 50m.

Proud of the fight back in the second half. We will be better than last year.

Martin, Cripps, Docherty and Weitering were all massive tonight. SPS, Simpson, Casboult, Cunners were good. Have to admit Jack Martin is a much better recruit than I thought he would be.

Hope Kreuzer isnt too bad but wouldn’t mind seeing TDK given a shot playing 50/50 ruck forward split with Levi.

Luke Hodge dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s on his mate Hardwicks press conference saying our free kick goals were all soft.

no mention of Richmond’s soft free goals or the the fact that umpires allowed Richmond the luxury of a third category of disposal, namely throwing.

:rolleyes:
The lack of crowd exposed the Tigers defensive tactics of holding players out of the contest which is where most of our frees came from, hopefully the umps keep it up, the other side that should be worried about that is West Coast who have made a specialty of blocking and holding players from a contest to allow there uncontested intercepts.
Let’s hope this is an AFL directive as it has been happening for far to long especially by the 2 most recent premiers.

Thoroughly agree with putting SPS into the middle and bringing Williamson into the team.

Samo is too good to not have around the ball consistently. He was super tonight. And looked much stronger too, physically robust.

Agree. Though my only query would be whether SPS has the stamina to be prolific through the midfield, especially with an injury interrupted pre-season.

But yeah, still remember that game last year when he destroyed the Bulldogs. We need another contributor in the midfield.

Bringing Willo in, shifting SPS to the middle and dropping Dow or Setterfield would make us a better team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back