Adrian Dodoro: Football’s Biggest Fraud IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubtful? Essendon will struggle to get a decent 2nd rounder for Joe. They will get no where near what was reported last year, which was essentially the world for a chronically injured, medically mismanaged player (albeit a gun).

The bloke has played a handful of games in 3 years and nobody is going to give him a long or lucrative contract. More likely he will move on say a 2 year contract with options to extend if he meets certain targets and financial benefits tied in with that. Before people say 'Essendon will just keep him then', there is no way in hell they will be able to hold him again if he wants out... zero chance.
If if if ... zero chance. Ok.

Carlton the epitome of drafting all those number 1 picks and still crap

Hey B4L, as an aside, who would be your couple of least liked Blues players over the last 25 years or so?

I was watching a Bombers game today and Gary O'Donnell was playing. I couldn't stand that guy. Him and McVeigh would be the 2 from me for you guys.

Hey B4L, as an aside, who would be your couple of least liked Blues players over the last 25 years or so?

I was watching a Bombers game today and Gary O'Donnell was playing. I couldn't stand that guy. Him and McVeigh would be the 2 from me for you guys.

Good question would say Kouta because he was such a damm good player and possibly Mil Hanna,Greg Williams

ROFL. He’s being potted for drafting McGrath now. Kid walks in, wins the rising star, played 65 senior games averaging 20 touches in his 3 seasons and is smooth as silk.

The BF brains trust...

The rising star means nothing, heck Rhys Palmer won it one year after Fremantle's lobbying.

McGrath can't use his left side, is an average kick and has zero hurt factor. It may have been an average draft year but you should be setting the bar slightly higher for a number one draft pick.

Good question would say Kouta because he was such a damm good player and possibly Mil Hanna,Greg Williams

Interesting. Wasn't expecting Hanna or Kouta. Your reason with Kouta is prolly the same reaction to Lloydy for me. Barstad kept slotting em through.

Interesting. Wasn't expecting Hanna or Kouta. Your reason with Kouta is prolly the same reaction to Lloydy for me. Barstad kept slotting em through.

Yeah with Hanna I'm not sure had a head that you would like to box haha

Obviously now that I'm older I respect those guys and their accomplishments but as a kid/teen watching them play got me furious

I remember reading a couple of high profile Phantom Drafts at the time that we were very keen/going to pick up Taranto at pick #6.

Very very happy with how SPS has turned out/developing though, a very important piece of our next flag window.

I remember the debate on our board was Taranto v SPS with that pick, with most wanting SPS.

Then obviously it was put out of our hands with GWS picking him up at 2.

I guess that’s the kind of market force that makes a club re-evaluate a draft prospect. Surely the thinking is ‘if Carlton and others rate Taranto at 5 in an open draft he’s good enough to go pick 2.’

It’s probably the same situation with GWS and McGrath, but in reverse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll captain the club

Small? Yes
B Grade? Yep and he's only 22.
Better players currently? Worpel, Walsh, Harrison, Oliver, Mccluggage are A graders
Argument for days and disagree-Taranto, Dunkley who are banging on the door

Half back flanker? He does play some football on the flank but Saad/Redman have been back flankers at essendon a lot more then McGrath, You've fallen for the classic "Not sure where he plays but he runs a lot must be a back flanker:

Yes essendon draft average, McGrath will play 250 games however so its not a bad pick considering everyone had him at pick 1 on the draft board

Knightmare literally compared him to Heath Shaw in his 2016 pre-season draft. Quigley, another bigfooty phantom drafter described him as a small defender back in 2016.

The rising star means nothing, heck Rhys Palmer won it one year after Fremantle's lobbying.

McGrath can't use his left side, is an average kick and has zero hurt factor. It may have been an average draft year but you should be setting the bar slightly higher for a number one draft pick.

Being voted the best first-year player in the league means nothing when judging a draftee.

Check.

I've read the whole thread.

Just bizarre Bombers fans are still defending Dodo.

Prepared to pot the coach but somehow Dodo remains Teflon.

More evidence of Kool aid syndrome.

One bombers bloke trying to talk up Crameri. I mean beggars belief.

Hard to know at what point bombers fans wake up to what we all know.

Dodo is a total joke.

He'll captain the club

Small? Yes
B Grade? Yep and he's only 22.
Better players currently? Worpel, Walsh, Harrison, Oliver, Mccluggage are A graders
Argument for days and disagree-Taranto, Dunkley who are banging on the door

Half back flanker? He does play some football on the flank but Saad/Redman have been back flankers at essendon a lot more then McGrath, You've fallen for the classic "Not sure where he plays but he runs a lot must be a back flanker:

Yes essendon draft average, McGrath will play 250 games however so its not a bad pick considering everyone had him at pick 1 on the draft board
Who is Harrison?

So he was involved in the greatest season ever assembled by an AFL team. Dodo masterstroke :heart:

Which probably explains why he doesnt rate midfielders.. Essendon won a GF with the worst midfield to ever win a premiership, so Dodoro obviously doesnt think its an important part of football.

I have a long list.. but on top would be Angus Monfries.. hated him even when he was at Port.. Was a rubbish footballer but would always bob up and have a field day against us..

Bewick, was similar except he was a fine footballer. Hated Lloyd, still do.. so much so i feel uncomfortable that his his brother works for us.. Mark Johnson, just hated his face.. McPhee ditto.

My favourite though was Hird, I did appreciate his talent, was a magician particularly when it counted.

McGrath was taken off the back of a scintillating performance where Jason Johannason dominated a final series that won the Dogs an epic flag, and heath Shaw dominated all year playing across half.. This half back role, behind play and setting up the play was seen as the future of footy at the time which is why McGrath was elevated to #1 pick.. and from memory it was not in dispute from any of the draft gurus at the time that he should be the #1 pick.

I'm not saying he was a bad choice by Essendon, as you said a lot in the industry seemed to have him at #1 or #2.

I'm just saying that based on their junior and AFL careers to date, i'd be very surprised if McGrath became as good a MIDFIELDER as Taranto & McCluggage, who have always been pure mids from their junior days and obviously both have done very well already at AFL level.

This is why Dodoro should go. Trying to turn a flanker into an inside midfielder is a dumb idea given the flanker would probably be better suited playing as a flanker and inside players have traits which are hard to teach. Skills like evasion, reading the game, defensive pressure are hard to develop in a player with limited experience playing these roles. It's not surprising that the best contested players in the league played in the midfield as juniors. My problem with Dodoro is that he picked McGrath thinking he could turn him into a full-time midfielder. His thinking is flawed and that's a danger for a guy who's supposed to evaluate talent. Even if McGrath becomes an elite midfielder, does it happen again? I think he's stuck in a thinking which is around 20 years old where the game wasn't as congested as it used to be and KPPs mattered more. I watched the Carlton v Essendon semi-final last year and it was interesting how different the gamestyle was.

I roll my eyes now whenever i read/hear that player x 'has the potential to become a midfielder in time'.

Honestly how often does a guy who played mostly other positions like flanker in juniors become a gun AFL mid? I'd say it's a very, very small percentage.

A few recent examples would be Billings & Petracca. Both played mainly half forward type roles, but were said to be able to transition to midfielders. Well it's been long enough that we can safely say they'll never become full-time gun AFL mids...at best they still only pinch-hit in the midfield. I feel most flankers just don't have that 'midfield nous' to become AFL guns with the two-way running and 360 degrees nature of it...plus many don't have the endurance.

Also if you look at the top 30 mids in the comp, my guess is that all of them, except maybe only a few, were elite mids in their junior careers.

If you need a gun mid in your AFL team, just draft a gun junior mid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back