Autopsy Dogs lose to the Tankers 103 - 51

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen a few melts and overreactions but you can simply pinpoint a couple of factors that really did us in tonight.

The way they jumped us really had us shaken in the first quarter. Those easy turnovers goals they get we just weren't getting ourselves. That set up a margin that was going to be hard to get back in the conditions without a full blown Carlton meltdown.

The efficiency inside 50 was...Obviously deplorable. Not only did that cost us our own goals, it let Carlton, who were running hard the other way all game, to get those over the back goals. It was like we gave up a whole bunch of 12 point turnarounds. One thing that really stands out in regards to that is how hesitant we are to have snaps at goal; that hesitance leads to overhandballing and turnovers or making a meal out of easy goals.

Last thing of note in terms of individuals was just that a) this was not a game for Schache and he didn't really try and make it work either, and b) the inexperience of West and Butler showed in some key moments (Vandermeer had a couple too iirc but otherwise he kicked a couple and had a decent enough game). I like Richards but he's been given a lot of chances and still struggles to impose himself on games I feel. And it's as if Bont read those posts questioning his leadership at half time, he really tried to lift us. And I liked the gamble to put him forward, a midfield of Libba/Macrae/Baz should be good enough most times, and it was an attempt to get Bont in our fwd50 more, where we'd struggled most all game.

It's an even comp. Carlton has a couple of good wins. We had rattled off three in a row and got jumped. It's not the end of the world, we get a chance to respond in another key game (of which most will be). Let's see what happens in the next couple of weeks before any babies get thrown out with the bathwater.
Well said. It also seems that some teams that have had to move interstate have not coped that well. Just a hunch. I thought that Buttler and Vandermeir were good but fell in critical moments. These guys will be good for us. Richards, Schache and others had a shocker and so did West. young players I guess. Not the end of the world. It was terrible to get a spanking, but that is footy. You learn and move on. We win next week and Bevo is a genius for turning the team around and we are a team with brilliant young players and a great future. We missed Jong. Also we were outcoached and outplayed throughout the game. Live and learn.

A few comments in here related to this season being rubbish and lacking status, comments that are usually thrown around when a team is not doing well. I disagree. The teams that are playing well don't think it's rubbish nor will the team that wins the flag. It's incumbent on every team to strive to win the premiership. By all means, we should put effort into developing for the future but we are here in the now and we have a chance to win another flag in a crazy season where anything is possible.

Last week Schache was our most natural forward and Lachie Hunter might struggle to find a spot in the team. A weeks a long time on Bigfooty. :)

Strangely the player I’m most disappointed in was Rhylee West. Didn’t attack the footy and every decision he made (with and without the ball) was wrong. A baffling performance indeed.

Schache was our most natural forward last week? Can't remember the last time he kicked six. Or five for that matter. Or took 9 contested grabs in a single game as a forward.

Would just like to give a shout out to all the doggies supporters giving Eddie the thumbs up ... hard loss to take but geez you are all class. Eddie just deserves a great send off ... not just a class footballer but a class act.
Its appreciated ... have a great year guys ... pretty sure this is just a blip and if we can't win it (which we won't) hope u guys do (which is possible) ... one of the only teams in the AFL I wish success for.

Betts? He seems like one of the nicest men in the AFL.

Butler and West were downright bad and absolutely ruined momentum and flow multiple times + Schache (for the 57% of game time Bevo had him out there for) was useless.
Richards let himself down, too. Disposal was not good.

They weren’t alone but the youngsters had a shocker and this is going to be a big part of our year. They’ll tire, they’ll lose confidence and they’ll regain it. Here’s hoping they pick back up again very soon.

Coupled with:

- Poor selections, again: going 3 talls on the forward line in wet/slippery conditions
- Overuse of the handball again, why why why does Bev keep up with that sh*t tactic
- Players failing to hold tackles, having our poor tackling at the contested footy exposed and not being paid for HTN/Incorrect disposal
- Several players just not in the game tonight, poor night for Bont, JJ, Macrae, Shache, Daniel, Richards, McLean
- Playing Engish when Trengove was more suited to the conditions

Embarrassing nonetheless

Have at it
We had Casboult, McKay and McGovern. Also, English was fine for you. Seemed to lose it through the midfield imo.

Bad luck all...I know you must be pissed but this was one of those games where the final score doesn’t reflect how both teams played...

Most of the game was fairly even between the sides in terms of game play...you had much the better of us in the second and third, we played better in the first...

difference in the game is simple...luck was on our side to finish most of our plays...luck was not on yours...

that gets us to 3/4 time and then, after a miss on your end then a goal to us, you had the choice to play it safe and lose by 2-3 goals or take risks and risk losing by 8 goals...you chose the latter and, although it didn’t work out, trust me as a blues supporter...’honorable losses’ are no fun either...

Love Smith and his mongoral, liked the pittonet v English battle and Vandemeer is clearly going to be a great player...don’t be too hard on Bruce, delivery was often at his bootlaces which doesn’t help...Did try to throw his weight around during the match...

i know it seems like doom and gloom now but you finish a couple more of your plays/we don’t finish some of ours and that 50 point loss is a 20 + point win and the conversation is very different...

Would just like to give a shout out to all the doggies supporters giving Eddie the thumbs up ... hard loss to take but geez you are all class. Eddie just deserves a great send off ... not just a class footballer but a class act.
Its appreciated ... have a great year guys ... pretty sure this is just a blip and if we can't win it (which we won't) hope u guys do (which is possible) ... one of the only teams in the AFL I wish success for.

Thanks. Is it Betts' last season?

If you don't like Eddie Betts, you don't like football.

The complete opposite of that Greene scum from the Giants.

Really disappointed, but think theres some serious overreacting going on. You cannot continuously put out the youngest team week in week out and not expect these results every now and then.

We will be ok. Everything went right for Carlton tonight and i mean casboult kicking from 50 on the boundary right. We may will be around the mark this yeat but these hiccups will occur with our list demographic.

Go Dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bad luck all...I know you must be pissed but this was one of those games where the final score doesn’t reflect how both teams played...

Most of the game was fairly even between the sides in terms of game play...you had much the better of us in the second and third, we played better in the first...

difference in the game is simple...luck was on our side to finish most of our plays...luck was not on yours...

that gets us to 3/4 time and then, after a miss on your end then a goal to us, you had the choice to play it safe and lose by 2-3 goals or take risks and risk losing by 8 goals...you chose the latter and, although it didn’t work out, trust me as a blues supporter...’honorable losses’ are no fun either...

Love Smith and his mongoral, liked the pittonet v English battle and Vandemeer is clearly going to be a great player...don’t be too hard on Bruce, delivery was often at his bootlaces which doesn’t help...Did try to throw his weight around during the match...

i know it seems like doom and gloom now but you finish a couple more of your plays/we don’t finish some of ours and that 50 point loss is a 20 + point win and the conversation is very different...

sorry mate

losing to a bottom 4 team by 50 points with a WRFL level game plan to beat us is embarrassing plain and simple

I think you are overstating the "luck" angle. Carlton played extremely well in the conditions, were cleaner all night and had a game plan that lured the Dogs to their own destruction. A few of your goals were a bit 'freakish' but generally we were outplayed by a more desperate and switched on team.

A horrendous night for some youngsters coupled with Carlton’s pressure and playing the conditions better than us.

I think we’ll still be okay in the long run but it’s nonetheless dispiriting after 3 great weeks.
Agreed. We just didn't turn up tonight. If we want to develop our young guys, and this is a good year to do that, we'll get those games.

Nothing too worrying for mine aside from:
1. Not playing to the conditions (kick more).
2. Schache's effort. If you're out of the game at least lay a few tackles and bumps. Make an impact.
3. Daniel. Not convinced he's best 22 when Crozier and Duryea are available. For a defender he's awful one on one.
4. Forward line lacks x factor. Looking forward to seeing what Weightman brings when he's ready. Otherwise wouldn't be against Dicko playing a few games if it's gonna be greasy in Qld.

Blues were switched on from the first bounce and played well.

If he’s going to get a heavy tag I would like to see more of Bont up forward.

It frees up our midfield structure a bit and gives him some more space to operate in where he can be his most damaging. With both him and Macrae in there we are at a legspeed deficit against most teams which hurts us when a team sets up to play us on the break like both Carlton and St Kilda have this year.
we miss dunkley, actually

I think you are overstating the "luck" angle. Carlton played extremely well in the conditions, were cleaner all night and had a game plan that lured the Dogs to their own destruction. A few of your goals were a bit 'freakish' but generally we were outplayed by a more desperate and switched on team.
Thought for once the commentary was spot on. Dogs dominated large patches but overcooked the footy with the high possession gameplan.

It works in good conditions but tonight it really wasnt the time.

Thought for once the commentary was spot on. Dogs dominated large patches but overcooked the footy with the high possession gameplan.

It works in good conditions but tonight it really wasnt the time.

Isn’t hindsight a wonderful thing?

Put simply, the Dogs were really really s*** and the Blues capitalised fully.

2 dispoals, 1 turnover, 0 marks, 0 tackles, 0 one percenters, 0 hit-outs, only 4 pressure acts. I admit that Bruce wasn't much better, but he at least tried to do something, and was double-teamed all night and had players constantly get in his way (and even fly for marks meant for him). Schache didn't even try.
People are being too hard on schache. with 30 percent entry efficiency the guy does not stand a chance. we just had a shocker. give schache space and a proper kick and he is a different player. btw i think we missed crozier big time. but overall we had a shocker. some young players may need to be dropped. eg. butler for crozier and west for dicko. experience takes time. both these players lack it. i would give richards another chance.

probably not really ‘luck’ but sometimes every play forward seems to result in a goal, and others despite controlling the play for large chunks you simply can’t buy one...

i think that’s what happened in the second and third...you controlled play for large chunks, but everything we touched just ‘worked’...It’s frustrating when that happens...and it happens to us quite a lot, but shows there is a fine line between comprehensive victory and comprehensive defeat...

Any way, good luck for the rest of the year...i really do like your mob and think you could be top 4 if things go your way...

One thing that did stand out to me is the gap between Smith and Walsh. My God, Smith was in everything and should be getting 3 Brownlow votes, while Walsh shanked at least half his kicks, and was making constant poor decisions.

We clearly got the best midfielder from that draft, and thank God for that because the rest of our midfield were not impressive
Props to Knightmare who called it before that draft.

Watching Bevos conference. I have come to the conclusion that he just doesn’t get it. He must used Hawthorn were the line “we’ll work it out” is an okay line to repeat to fans because Hawthorn is constantly successful. He is coaching a club that has won 2 Flags. The whole “we’ll be right” and “we learn from this” routine gets real stale, real quick at clubs like the Bulldogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back