Autopsy Dogs 77 lose to Pies 89

Remove this Banner Ad

Only 2 goals in the end but thought we were comprehensively outplayed for 75% of the game when there was 13 to 4 goals scored.

In saying that I would much rather play them at the G than at Marvel. The myth of us playing well at the venue is about 5 years past its used-by date. We are a slow side, if not the slowest in the comp, and on this ground we are exposed. The side we've put together does not suit the ground which is a major problem to have. An in-form Artie Jones and a fit JJ would make a considerable difference.

Didn't they say it was a sellout?
The public reserve was a ‘sell out’. To achieve 50k+ you need every single seated Dogs member to turn up, the corporates to fill every seat and the GA sections to fill up. None of which happened. Plenty of spare room on level 3 which would’ve have been GA.

West making a fool out of Bevo once again, surely this kid just plays from here on out? He’s just a very high impact player, another 3 GAs last night, to go with 4 tackles & 22 PAs

You just cannot tell me our forward line is so stacked for smalls there’s no room for him, he makes things happen every time he’s near the ball offensively & defensively. But you just know he’s one bad game away from being swapped for Hannan lol it’s a joke at this point

McNeil needs to go he’s a train wreck, I’d play the corpse of AJ from round 6-10 over him right now, we just need to find a way to get this kid back in form in the seniors because there is no point playing McNeil over him.

Poulter was really good, most I’ve seen from him at either level - showed that maybe he can offer something as he just knows how to play a wing like a wingman & pretty solid at most parts of the game - wish he had more pace though

Props to Gards, one of the best games for the club and to do it on one leg was brave. That’s what we expect Gards, didn’t make any mistakes defensively, provided something offensively. You have this in you so pls for the love of god find it on a more consistent basis. Really good game

The Cameron throw which directly led to a goal another one, every 50/50 went against us and yeah especially the holding the balls - I lost count the amount of times they pinged us (and Bont) instantly yet once again they can spin, and throw the ball away one handed and all good play on - which really plays into their hands the way they can move the ball from a 50/50 contest inside 50 to a scoring opportunity.

It was infuriating
There was also the high tackle against West. His arms were down and the Collingwood player just fell/dropped into his chest.

I know this is hardly breaking news but our backline doesn't - and can't - stack up.

The talls struggle to apply defensive pressure (combined tackles last night for O'Donnell, Keath and Gardner - 0) and the smalls are banged up, past it, or inadequate.

The priority at the coming drafts has to be midfield class. But the backline still needs attention. Jonesy's a temporary bandaid. And most of the classy talls coming through are natural forwards.

Poulter was really good, most I’ve seen from him at either level - showed that maybe he can offer something as he just knows how to play a wing like a wingman & pretty solid at most parts of the game - wish he had more pace though

Props to Gards, one of the best games for the club and to do it on one leg was brave. That’s what we expect Gards, didn’t make any mistakes defensively, provided something offensively. You have this in you so pls for the love of god find it on a more consistent basis. Really good game
With how much we’ve put on Keath and Gards shoulders these last couple years, it’s easy to forget he’s only just now cracking the 50 games. Most key defenders don’t become truly reliable until they’re approaching 100+ games (noticed this with Moore and Weitering especially). Didn’t get a lot of the ball but didn’t waste a single possession, and took a couple fantastic intercept marks. I do hope it’s upwards from here

West making a fool out of Bevo once again, surely this kid just plays from here on out? He’s just a very high impact player, another 3 GAs last night, to go with 4 tackles & 22 PAs

You just cannot tell me our forward line is so stacked for smalls there’s no room for him, he makes things happen every time he’s near the ball offensively & defensively. But you just know he’s one bad game away from being swapped for Hannan lol it’s a joke at this point

McNeil needs to go he’s a train wreck, I’d play the corpse of AJ from round 6-10 over him right now, we just need to find a way to get this kid back in form in the seniors because there is no point playing McNeil over him.

Summed up perfectly
Bit sick of the merry go round of borderline talents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Summed up perfectly
Bit sick of the merry go round of borderline talents.
Yeah it’s a big issue mate and just bloody frustrating, I don’t want to reward poor performances but I just wish there was a mindset change from the coaching group in regards to who we’re playing. If these battlers we routinely give preference to were winning us games then sure absolutely play them over the kids but they’re just not. Would we be losing more games over the past 2 years carrying some talented kids over carrying VFL battlers? I really just don’t think we would.

Get games into the players who are going to take us forward FFS, that’s way more important to the future of the club and our ability to actually have a proper crack at a premiership, or is it more important to finish 6th rather than 7th and lose by 30 points in week one over 40 points? Ie middling mediocrity either way.

Spend the rest of this season getting 8 games into the likes of Cleary, West, AJ, Bedendo, Darcy, Buss maybe Gallagher - maybe these guys make it maybe they don’t but it’s time to find out

The most pleasing thing to take from last night for mine was the growing chemistry between our gun young forwards.

A combined 10.7 and 18 marks from Naughton, JUH and Weightman against the best defence in the comp should not be overlooked.

They seem to genuinely enjoy each other's successes and have the potential to be an amazing unit for years to come.

With how much we’ve put on Keath and Gards shoulders these last couple years, it’s easy to forget he’s only just now cracking the 50 games. Most key defenders don’t become truly reliable until they’re approaching 100+ games (noticed this with Moore and Weitering especially). Didn’t get a lot of the ball but didn’t waste a single possession, and took a couple fantastic intercept marks. I do hope it’s upwards from here
Fair but he is also 26, he’s just been a defensive liability for most of his career bar maybe a 10 week stretch and that’s the issue for mine. I don’t care if he offers nothing offensively but as a player like him you just can’t be so poor defensively and so dumb when it comes to basic positioning in defence.

Last night was a good show of what his baseline should be but I just have zero confidence of him doing that consistently, I hope he proves me wrong

The most pleasing thing to take from last night for mine was the growing chemistry between our gun young forwards.

A combined 10.7 and 18 marks from Naughton, JUH and Weightman against the best defence in the comp should not be overlooked.

They seem to genuinely enjoy each other's successes and have the potential to be an amazing unit for years to come.
They were bloody awesome, really backed up my midweek praise of the trio. Best young forward trio in the comp by a mile.

Is it time to unleash Darcy in there too? I haven’t been completely against Lobbs season but I really don’t think it’s a big deal for him to find form at VFL level like anyone else should, who cares if he was a relatively high profile pick up. Darcy will be a slow burn so not expecting him to come in and play out the year but we need to get game time into him so a 2-3 week stretch at AFL level with a bit of a wake up call to Lobb to find some form could be beneficial for both IMO.

Is it wrong that I want Pies to win the flag? Just a fun loving team who goes about things the right way I’m not sure how you can’t have a bit of a soft spot for this current side, and I’d usually wish death on anyone outside of our club. Talent everywhere, even where there’s not there’s just full buy in and a genuine want to play good footy & win. No real egos in the side (well Cox aside, * Cox) just admiration for most of their stars like Moore, Pendles, Daicos

Would be a tragedy if a bunch of campaigners like Brisbane, Port or god *ing forbid Melbourne beat these guys.

I’m very very jealous of their fans being given that sort of football week in week out, imagine what Mccrae would do with our list

I think McRae would have changed the plan completely in the last quarter if we were actually a chance of getting them.
I'm usually on the glass half empty side but they were definitely rattled in that last quarter. Game went another 3-4 minutes we win.
We were well on top.

Two costly moments in our control were Bont not getting a boot on it in the goal square and Lobb cold dropping a regulation chest mark before one of the breaks (legitimately embarrassing). Convert them to goals and get even treatment from the maggots and we were legitimately in the contest.

Don't usually rate Cam Mooney's opinion. But there's and article on Foxsports.com.au that he's done which helps explain why we're crap when we shouldn't be.
Basically we're the worst out of the top teams for overusing the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back