Autopsy Dogs 77 lose to Pies 89

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s cute when opposition fans come in and praise us, telling us they like our team/players. Just means they don’t see us as a threat

Think they’re all genuinely decent football people, unlike some of the opposition clowns that get about in Bigfooty.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

243470-fast-x-twitter.jpg

yes, we've seen this movie before

midfield pantsed for a decent chunk of the game, unable to do anything to stop the opposition running riot, leading to a game breaking run of opposition goals.

I thought the forward line was working much better (when the midfield battle was in our favour), and the defence held up as well as could be expected under the circumstances.

bont was up and down, but did his part
libba was great defensively and in the clinches, but lacked bite
treloar got involved seemed to stuff everything up
smith was invisible
Bailey williams seemed off the pace.
Poulter was average
MAcrae was down

I too wish people would stop misreading West's skill set.

yes he is a little slow in open play and gets exposed defensively on transition at times, but he has elite agility, incredibly low centre of gravity (cork in the ocean), and is nippy for his first 5 or so yards. pretty strong too. disposal is ok. decent goal sense.

overall he has enough elite characteristics to make it, but still raw and learning how to best utilise his talents.
He's a good 'move the ball forward' player but often we handball backwards to try and get a clear kick away which seems to play against his strengths.
We've adjusted at times to take territory and in those phases of the game, Westy looks pretty good.

Why aren’t we trying to develop Buku into a Quaynor type in defence btw, honestly why
I agree. Also Fredericks at Freo. Position of need and Buku showed some traits that he has that dash. Total waste playing leading forward. There is no spot for him at AFL level no matter how good he gets. Just delist him and invest the time elsewhere if we think he is a leading forward and nothing else.

I left surprisingly happy, thought we were very good for large chunks against the best team in the league.

Footy is a game of inches, we didn't take our chances in key moments, they did, they kicked unbelievably well for goal from many tough shots. 2nd quarter mcneil and marras misses killed us, pies player dropped it cold in our fwd line wasnt paid mcCreery goes full length for a goal . 3rd quarter 2 horrendous free kicks against libba htb and doc arm chop. bonts miss. These go the other way and we probably win the game.

Last night gave me confidence we have the ability to shake up the finals IF we get it together. Have to win the next 2 against syd and ess which are season defining games.

I can't remember seeing Moore and Murphy getting worked over like that this season. Marra and Naughton were an absolute handful for them. They were 2 Pies who were definitely challenged last night and I think I'd give the edge to Naughts and Marra. It was a great battle to watch.

Midfield was our issue. They collectively looked not very sharp and a bit fumbly in comparison to the Pies, turned it over a few times in close and had few answers to the Pies quicker mids spreading from the contest. De Goey and Daicos in particular. Not a new problem and one with only 3 realistic personnel solutions that could make a difference to beating the Pies and Port this season. Smith and Treloar (our 2 quicker mids) improve their defensive games by about 200% and 100% respectively. Timmy becomes a more dominant tap ruckman.

Kicks with speed through the air and gets penetration. Not many others in our team do that.
I thought West was just a crack in type but his disposal is elite. So smart and creative with ball in hand. Almost Caleb like. I was so happy every time he had it, just knew something good was going to happen. He needs to stop being a battering ram and play a touch more outside. Just watch Caleb and learn his positioning, mental toughness and fitness. They both lack outside speed, height and tackling strength but Caleb’s season has been unreal. West is better overhead and hand baller imo.

We are a Petracca/DeGoey type in the middle, Jones and JJ back away from being a top 4 side.
I agree. I think people need to stop living in 2021. A team needs to keep turning over its list, especially the midfield combination. We have a one dimension midfield due to two drafts which were compromised with Darcy and Marra. The last mid we recruited apart from Paulson, was Smith. Collingwood has improved by recruiting rather than drafting, plus getting Daicos with pick four. We don’t hold the attraction of playing mostly at home at the G in front of a large crowd so we need to rely on the draft.

Fast forward to 2026:

Defence

Bailey Dale, Busslinger, Croft, Richards, JOD, Gallagher, Williams, Cleary ( Resting Darcy or English)

Mids
Bont, Garcia, Smith, Daniel, Bedendo, Poulter, Draft Pick, Draft Pick, Draft Pick.

Ruck
Darcy, English

Forwards
Weightman, Marra, Naughton, Jones, Clarke, Khamis (Resting Englis or Darcy).

Some of our older players could still be around, but look at the Ruck and Forward line, that’s mouth watering, we need to refresh our mids, and make sure we shore up defence,if we can rebuild with that type of quality while still competing and playing finals,as opposed to the long and painful rebuilds we had under Macca, then I am happy with that.

I don’t understand why some are questioning the disappointment in last night’s performance. Is it because people are looking at this game in isolation? Put the game in a seasons context -
We have only beaten one side above us on the ladder this year ( and lost to a couple below us.
Pies were without Maynard, Sidebottom and Mihocek - that’s 3 best 18 players
We failed to stop a run of goals a problem at least 2 years old.

It was a poor poor effort and we should call it out for what is was not breakout singing “ Everything is Awesome”

He's a good 'move the ball forward' player but often we handball backwards to try and get a clear kick away which seems to play against his strengths.
We've adjusted at times to take territory and in those phases of the game, Westy looks pretty good.
That’s the reason our game style is outdated - backwards handballs are done, and it’s killing us.

Good sides move the ball forward at all costs by hands

Question- does anyone know if JOD was subbed off because he was injured?
I was surprised to see him taken off when there was some doubt about Gardner continuing.
Maybe Collingwood’s lack of KPFs influenced the decision.

Question- does anyone know if JOD was subbed off because he was injured?
I was surprised to see him taken off when there was some doubt about Gardner continuing.
Maybe Collingwood’s lack of KPFs influenced the decision.
Think we just went with the game is done let's go full attack and see what we can do

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The public reserve was a ‘sell out’. To achieve 50k+ you need every single seated Dogs member to turn up, the corporates to fill every seat and the GA sections to fill up. None of which happened. Plenty of spare room on level 3 which would’ve have been GA.
Lots of people on here grumbling about giving up their seats last week, but didn’t show up either.

I agree. I think people need to stop living in 2021. A team needs to keep turning over its list, especially the midfield combination. We have a one dimension midfield due to two drafts which were compromised with Darcy and Marra. The last mid we recruited apart from Paulson, was Smith. Collingwood has improved by recruiting rather than drafting, plus getting Daicos with pick four. We don’t hold the attraction of playing mostly at home at the G in front of a large crowd so we need to rely on the draft.

Fast forward to 2026:

Defence

Bailey Dale, Busslinger, Croft, Richards, JOD, Gallagher, Williams, Cleary ( Resting Darcy or English)

Mids
Bont, Garcia, Smith, Daniel, Bedendo, Poulter, Draft Pick, Draft Pick, Draft Pick.

Ruck
Darcy, English

Forwards
Weightman, Marra, Naughton, Jones, Clarke, Khamis (Resting Englis or Darcy).

Some of our older players could still be around, but look at the Ruck and Forward line, that’s mouth watering, we need to refresh our mids, and make sure we shore up defence,if we can rebuild with that type of quality while still competing and playing finals,as opposed to the long and painful rebuilds we had under Macca, then I am happy with that.

No West? By 2026 he should have moved into midfield and be a regular.

Am hoping Artie could hopefully also come on as a winger.

But all said and done - a midfield of:

Bont, Macrae, Libba

Trelor, Smith and Daniel

Is top 4. Just need Smith to get back to form.

Wings of Williams, Poulter, Baker and Scott (Roarke if fit) is not too 4.

FF to 2026

Bont Smith West??

???? García?? Daniel

Is too small, too slow and probably only Bont could play with any dominance. Looks really thin.

Same wings - but that’s not a good thing.

We have 2023, 24 and 25 drafts but drop off could be earlier and would expect to have kids in development. We have West and García who have actually shown a lot for the level of games but still have question marks looks at least four players short.

Also shows we short a big bopper in defence and hard and fast speed in defence. Maybe Gallagher can help in the second. But need to address these also but have to prioritise Mids. Hope we can get two before Croft.

I sense you're a bit irritated if you're asking that question...because most of the year we've had 11 players 25 or under, so half our game day squad?

J. Henry
O. Henry
Bruhn
Z. Guthrie
M. O'Connor
Stengle
Miers
Close
Holmes
SDK
Ratugolea

If I've ruffled feathers, I'm happy to leave...but it was a genuine question as to whether it's a coaching issue, a confidence issue or a role issue. Apologies if you think I was trying to start something.

Nothing against you, and there was no intent to involve you actual team.

I'm simply criticising the criticism of a 22 yo who's played 90 games in under 5 years, and has probably played 4 poor games all season.
(And not just you, but plenty on this board).

Again, zero reference from me to Geelong, just individuals.
I have no idea why you mention "25 or under", or a bunch of players who are in and out of your team.
(Ie. The pressure on him is enormous...admittedly a lot of it brought on by himself).

I was sitting on level 2 in reserved seats normally full of bulldogs supporters. Last night the area was about 70% Pies. Couldn’t believe it.

The trains were out back to the western suburbs - this has a massive impact on the crowd, obviously more dogs supporters travel west. I didn’t go to the game for this reason - it was a major battle getting home from the Freo game last Saturday afternoon - I did not want to be on a bus at 1am. I suspect many felt the same way…..

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The trains were out back to the western suburbs - this has a massive impact on the crowd, obviously more dogs supporters travel west. I didn’t go to the game for this reason - it was a major battle getting home from the Freo game last Saturday afternoon - I did not want to be on a bus at 1am. I suspect many felt the same way…..

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
And not just the three western suburbs ones. The Craigieburn, Cranbourne, Frankston, Pakenham and Upfield lines were all running buses too.

Nothing against you, and there was no intent to involve you actual team.

I'm simply criticising the criticism of a 22 yo who's played 90 games in under 5 years, and has probably played 4 poor games all season.
(And not just you, but plenty on this board).

Again, zero reference from me to Geelong, just individuals.
I have no idea why you mention "25 or under", or a bunch of players who are in and out of your team.
(Ie. The pressure on him is enormous...admittedly a lot of it brought on by himself).

Only reason I referenced that, is because you said this:

"How many players at Geelong who are his age are getting a regular game?"

You literally asked me how many around his age (so I went sub 25 as that's usually the age that's quoted when they're at the end of their development), so I gave you the numbers.

Wasn't a criticism, was a genuine question - as I honestly believe it's Bevo playing him out of position that's resulted in this huge form drop the last 6 or so weeks.

One of the most basic of coaching moves could’ve won us the game last night. With 5 mins to go in the first half, why didn’t we put Naughton in the backline? We always seem to concede goals and momentum in red time in quarters! Our coach just doesn’t make enough moves and this infuriates me.

Yeah weird day to single out Cody, plus he was in everything last night chasing and harassing.

4.2, 17 touches, 4 tackle, 11 SI, 1 GA

What do some people expect lol
Had a great game, but went missing in a lot of the middle part of the game including Quaynor out marking him about 10 times setting up a lot of the Pies forward moves. He played well, but goes missing for big parts of games.

One of the most basic of coaching moves could’ve won us the game last night. With 5 mins to go in the first half, why didn’t we put Naughton in the backline? We always seem to concede goals and momentum in red time in quarters! Our coach just doesn’t make enough moves and this infuriates me.
Or even something outrageous like putting Smith on Daicos in a run with role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back