Autopsy Dogs 77 lose to Pies 89

Remove this Banner Ad

Arthur showed a great deal this year over a few games but he had 2 touches in the vfl today. By no means is he a certainty to play 50-100 games for the club.

Clarke has struggled to adjust to the environment and id say would be a way off making a debut.
Adjusting to the environment? First I’ve heard of this. I thought it was due to missing all of post Xmas pre season with a back injury. Enlighten us about him not adjusting to the environment please.

I’ve got to probably 8 vfl games and in every game I have watched he has shown something. Sometimes a few special moments. In my opinion it’s been his consistency and playing 4 quarters. He seems to cover the ground pretty well just lacking that spark and repeated efforts, which will come after a solid pre season or two.
Also believe buss was struggling early but last two weeks has shown he has a promising career again. Especially after a couple of pre seasons.
Gallagher also showed some great signs Friday and his running goal a highlight.
5 wins in a row shows we finally getting some pressure on senior spots.

Speak for yourself p_l.
I HAVE! OUR COACH COULD LEARN A FEW THINGS FROM THEIR COACH. 1. PLAYING MORE THROUGH THE MIDDLE, LESS HANDBALL AND longer kicking to the forward line. must say that i was impressed with Naughton, JUH and Wiehgtman. the forward line has improved since the break. a similar improvement to the backline and the mids, especially our ruck and we are right in it.

And it's happened to us against the two top sides this year.

We've only been flogged twice and that was round 1 & 2.

Now Cam Mooney says we have a difficult run home....it was one of the easiest draws a few weeks ago.

Let's just take a chill pill and get some key players back and see what happens
Mooney smokes too much dope, We have a great run home. It is ours to stuff up and not make the top 4 IMO

I HAVE! OUR COACH COULD LEARN A FEW THINGS FROM THEIR COACH. 1. PLAYING MORE THROUGH THE MIDDLE, LESS HANDBALL AND longer kicking to the forward line. must say that i was impressed with Naughton, JUH and Wiehgtman. the forward line has improved since the break. a similar improvement to the backline and the mids, especially our ruck and we are right in it.
I was joking p_l.

But now that you have opened up that box. There are always things teams can learn from each other. However, without those things their coach could supposedly teach ours, Collingwood still only scraped across the line with the benefit of some dodgy umpiring decisions.

Had such decisions not occurred, and we won, would everyone instead be criticising Collingwood's game style, and suggesting their coach has plenty to learn?

Or might they put it down to experience, learn from it and move forward. Recognising they lost a close one against a tough opponent but feel a little buoyed by the fact that the gap between us and them is small.

If you re-watch some of Friday night's match you might find some admirable team play, and even effective game strategies, displayed by your own club.

I think we have two problems that stem from our game plan:
  1. We a very slow to move the ball forward because we are too risk-averse. We are happy to get a relatively uncontested handball receive on the defensive side of a stoppage and then we often go backwards - often a long way backwards. We switch play, kick backwards, handball handball handball. We rarely kick to a contest. We play the opposite way to the way Collingwood plays. The contrast was stark watching the game from level 2 - Collingwood goes forward as their first option and will often kick to a contest rather than going backwards. Collingwood backs its players in to win or at least halve a contest and so go forward relentlessly. We move the ball extremely slowly as a result of our risk-averse game style and therefore are easy to defend against. We are predictable and give teams time to setup against us.
yeh this backed up by numbers...our metres gained differential is -14.5 (13th), whereas Pies a whopping +397 (1st)

It does, and thats a problem. The rest of the comp has moved on.
I think he meant that the description of Collingwood sounds like us circa 2016.

I think he meant that the description of Collingwood sounds like us circa 2016.

Ah, well it doesnt. In 16 we played slow, around the boundary, risk averse, contest and stoppage heavy footy, kicking into a very crowded F50 and manufacturing goals from repeat entries and relentless grinding at stoppages with clearances mostly from backwards handball to stationary targets or dump kicks. We had a weak backline, a short, non-descript forward line and a very deep midfield of battle hardened grunts and played with an extra at stoppages. It played to our strengths and minimized our weaknesses during that year as opposition teams wernt able to expose our backline with decisive clearances or escape our high forward press.

Fast forward to 2023 and opponents willing and capable of clearing the ball with forward momentum and quick, direct ball movement. We have a star studded forward line that we are only starting to use to its full potential.

If you want to put it in a nutshell, we are adept at playing 'in a phone box' but in space, we are not up to scratch.

Last edited:
I left surprisingly happy, thought we were very good for large chunks against the best team in the league.

Footy is a game of inches, we didn't take our chances in key moments, they did, they kicked unbelievably well for goal from many tough shots. 2nd quarter mcneil and marras misses killed us, pies player dropped it cold in our fwd line wasnt paid mcCreery goes full length for a goal . 3rd quarter 2 horrendous free kicks against libba htb and doc arm chop. bonts miss. These go the other way and we probably win the game.

Last night gave me confidence we have the ability to shake up the finals IF we get it together. Have to win the next 2 against syd and ess which are season defining games.
100%

My wife was shocked I wasnt unhappy after a loss. Especially against the Pies!!

I told her we were right in it against the best team int he comp, and we didnt lose it through a glaringly stoopid umpiring decision (hello Port, were coming for you too!) and our forward line looked great

Played well, but they are clearly a level above us.

Need a better defence if we are going to challenge for a premiership.

De Goey and Daicos absolutely monstered us. Would have been handy obviously if De Goey was missing for one more match. Daicos is wow level good.

Been obvious for a while that we are a level below the pace setters of this season, and tonight proves it.
I think our backline actually stood up really well. I'm no fan of Gardner or Keath but they were both ok (Gardner was probably better than ok early). English and the midfield is what cost us. The Pies got way too many quality centre clearances and when they won a contested ball in the middle were able to spread and then run like lightning to create chances

I think our backline actually stood up really well. I'm no fan of Gardner or Keath but they were both ok (Gardner was probably better than ok early). English and the midfield is what cost us. The Pies got way too many quality centre clearances and when they won a contested ball in the middle were able to spread and then run like lightning to create chances

I agree, they were pretty good on Friday and I also like Keath and Gardner (Although I do think Leath is very close to finished)

But we just don’t have the quality of defence to be a contender at the moment.

You just look at the quality of defenders of the last few premiership teams, and the contending teams this year, and compare them to ours.

The difference in quality is glaring.

We stack up pretty well against these sides with our midfield and forward line, but our defence is a problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 💯. Dog I hope it's fixable over the next few rounds coz if it is we're a chance.

Ruck and midfield defence. All boils down to those 2 things IMO.

Adjusting to the environment? First I’ve heard of this. I thought it was due to missing all of post Xmas pre season with a back injury. Enlighten us about him not adjusting to the environment please.

I’ve got to probably 8 vfl games and in every game I have watched he has shown something. Sometimes a few special moments. In my opinion it’s been his consistency and playing 4 quarters. He seems to cover the ground pretty well just lacking that spark and repeated efforts, which will come after a solid pre season or two.
Also believe buss was struggling early but last two weeks has shown he has a promising career again. Especially after a couple of pre seasons.
Gallagher also showed some great signs Friday and his running goal a highlight.
5 wins in a row shows we finally getting some pressure on senior spots.
I mean he did miss part of pre season but hes played every game for the VFL averaging half a goal and less than 10 touches. Certainly shown small glimpses but isnt exactly setting the world on fire or pushing for selection. West, Hannan, Mclean all playing similar role have looked miles ahead of him and havent been able to hold down a spot at senior level. At this stage Clarke wont play this season, I hope he has a strong end to the year so hes got something to build off because we dont have any afl level small forwards other than Weightman currently.

Ghallager has looked the most promising of first year players when hes played has made an impact and clearly has the pace, kicking, running ability just has had interrupted season with injury. Buss also beginning to come on may debut soon.

At one stage it was 41-17 by 3/4 time it was 49-74.

That's 57-8. That's rubbish.

IMHO that's coaching and leadership on ground. That's no Plan B. We concede a run on and cannot turn the tide or even stem the bleeding. Until we get that sorted we will be a middling side.
I agree with both points here. The 57-8 score is abysmal, but we did generate some really gettable chances that we flubbed. Marra, Bont and McNeil all had VERY gettable chances. If we take those their momentum is halted and the score doesnt look anywhere near as bad.

In other run ons, we just havent really had any sort of meaningful possession chain or shots at goal

I think they were just cleaner out of the middle.

Bont played well, daicos played better
Libba played ok - degoey played better

However, smith and Lobb... disgusting

Agree with all comments besides the one on Williams
We have already had a post strongly criticising the Bont so that has emboldened me to go into “shoot bambi mode”. I somewhat agree with the comment that Williams doesn’t go hard enough. This year it appears to me that Williams is in cruise mode doing enough to hold his spot in the team but not giving us any, that I can recall, examples of “follow me boys” game changing plays. For us the exceptional performances always seem to come from the usual suspects rather than a say Quaynor pulling out an 8 intercept mark game.
This is NOT a call for Williams to be dropped. Just that I think he is comfortable with his level of performance.

Having watched the replay I agree. English was too 'soft' as a ruck and Lobb was non-existent. That cost us a fair bit in the middle plus the lack of defence in a goal that English stood and watched. the worry for is the 11 goals to one they kicked between the second and last quarter. that was criminal by the coaching staff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back