2020 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not even that. Crowd is capped at 500, and local members have to go in a ballot to get there.

Apparently Melbourne only have 250 tickets allocated.
That's absolutely ridiculous, I really want to go to this game.

I had a st kilda member buy me a ticket to this Saturday's game but surely all games should be available to the General Public

That's absolutely ridiculous, I really want to go to this game.

I had a st kilda member buy me a ticket to this Saturday's game but surely all games should be available to the General Public
I'm not happy either. Finally get a good chance to go to a few consecutive games, but locked out for no good reason that I'm aware of.

And frustratingly, this wasn't communicated at all until supporters started chasing up tickets. I know of some people who didn't go down to the Gold Coast on Sunday night and instead intended to go to this game on Thursday night in Brisbane.

I'm not happy either. Finally get a good chance to go to a few consecutive games, but locked out for no good reason that I'm aware of.

And frustratingly, this wasn't communicated at all until supporters started chasing up tickets. I know of some people who didn't go down to the Gold Coast on Sunday night and instead intended to go to this game on Thursday night in Brisbane.
It realy is a joke. Call SEN. 3AW. Hit their social media pages and the AFLs.
farcical

Living in Brisbane and working on the Gold Coast there seems to be more fans of non-QLD clubs and many are frustrated at being unable to get tickets to watch their team play. I've been lucky enough that I'm a member of both QLD teams so have been able to get along to quite a few games so far, and with the Broncos being so terrible it's been surprising at the sudden interest in AFL by the general public

From what I've noticed around half the games (or thereabouts) are closed off to the general public with only a small amount released to local members through a ballot - of which there aren't even enough tickets to cover those members who want tickets.

Games that are going on sale the public are being capped at a reduce capacity with the demand still outweighing the amount of tickets released. I've noticed most of these games are selling out on the day and down to single seats within hours of going on sale. The only games they've allowed decent allocations so far are the big Victorian match-ups at Metricon, but even then they are selling out almost straight away.

The AFL are wasting an opportunity here IMO. A lot of fans and casual observers wanting to attend games but aren't having much opportunity to do so

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port members also missed out on getting tickets for the dees clash. I dont know if there will be more than 250 total.

Apparently swans vs saints will have some public availability.

Living in Brisbane and working on the Gold Coast there seems to be more fans of non-QLD clubs and many are frustrated at being unable to get tickets to watch their team play. I've been lucky enough that I'm a member of both QLD teams so have been able to get along to quite a few games so far, and with the Broncos being so terrible it's been surprising at the sudden interest in AFL by the general public

From what I've noticed around half the games (or thereabouts) are closed off to the general public with only a small amount released to local members through a ballot - of which there aren't even enough tickets to cover those members who want tickets.

Games that are going on sale the public are being capped at a reduce capacity with the demand still outweighing the amount of tickets released. I've noticed most of these games are selling out on the day and down to single seats within hours of going on sale. The only games they've allowed decent allocations so far are the big Victorian match-ups at Metricon, but even then they are selling out almost straight away.

The AFL are wasting an opportunity here IMO. A lot of fans and casual observers wanting to attend games but aren't having much opportunity to do so

Been fighting this battle for weeks. Its a complete dead end. The AFL are refusing to open the stadiums as it will cost too much. Both the Carlton football club ticketing officer, the gabba and metricon have said the same.

Western Sydney V Richmond TV Viewership Ratings:
FTA:
Melbourne:
Adelaide: 84,000
Perth: 68,000
Brisbane: 34,000
Sydney: 30,000

Regional: 188,000

Fox Footy: 245,000

Total: 990,000

I reckon this covid mishap could hamper any chance QLD had of continuing to let crowds in. Albeit it was a struggle/small allocations anyway.

FOX Footy Viewership Round 8:

Gold Coast V Bulldogs 236,000
Western Sydney V Richmond 245,000 (7 Melbourne FTA 337,000)
3. Carlton V North Melbourne 202,000
Sydney V Hawthorn 240,000
Port Power V St.Kilda 185,000 (7 Melbourne FTA 306,000)
6. Adelaide V Essendon 194,000
West Coast V Collingwood 245,000
Melbourne V Brisbane Lions 195,000 (7 Melbourne FTA 227,000)
9. Fremantle V Geelong 210,000 (Update)

Total: 1,956,000 (9 Games) Average: 217,000

Last edited:
thu AFL
Suns/Bulldogs 37k metro, 15k regional, 55k total FTA

Sat AFL
Swans/Hawks 37k metro
Power/Saints 536k metro, 150k regional, 686k total FTA

Sun AFL
Crows/Bombers 72k metro, no SA regional, 72k total FTA
Eagles/Pies 432k metro, 139k regional, 571k total fta
Dees/Lions 56k metro, 20k regional, 76k FTA

Mon AFL
data tomorrow.

I think people might be surprised with the amount of AFL penetration that has happened within the last 3 years. This is namely thanks to Brisbane re-emerging as a top team in the competition. 4 years ago, you would be hard pressed to find any AFL related news in newspapers or on Channel 7/9. Channel 7 even has the rights to the game, and the only time they showed anything AFL related on their news up here was an AFL sacking. You would never hear about scores, or games, or player trades or anything. Walking around town you would never see anything AFL related and people wouldn't talk about it at all. All forms of media and communication up here for the game was almost dead silent for about 4-5 years. Now, things have changed. We not only have the occasional game on the main channel, however, both Channel 9 and 7 reports on AFL games (more specifically Lions games) every night. We're even getting Victorian updates (which would have been unheard of a few years ago) and you will even spot the occasional jumper in the city. The mindset change for this game has changed drastically, and this isn't due to extra promotion or anything. You have to understand that Brisbane will support a team that is bad, but Brisbane were embarrassingly bad. Whenever fans used to go to our game, they would groan over their mistakes and even chant Broncos or watch their matches on an app. To be a Brisbane fan was seen as embarrassing, and Fagan has changed that mantra. Even loyal Lions fans didn't even want to go to the games because of how bad things had become. I know we're not an AFL state, but the AFL will always have a stronger presence here than Sydney. Brisbane isn't as Rugby focused as Sydney is, and the early 2000's the Lions were a bigger team in the state than the Broncos. Things can change quickly here, and the sport (As of right now) hasn't been this healthy since the early 2000's.

Dont have time for formalities this week, so heres the quick and dirty version

Round 8 rated 4.47m (2.386m FTA, 2.061m Fox) taking the season total to 38.445m (up 4.24%)
FTA ave is 399k (+9.02%)
Fox Ave is 181k (+6.08%)
Fox accounts for 35.34% of the audience (down from 35.44% same time last year)
Reg is the equivelant of 31.59% of the metro audience (down from 35.84% last year at the same time)

FTA

Syd ave - 33k (+3.67%)
Melb ave - 324k (+14%)
Bri ave - 37k (+29%)
Adl ave - 82k (-19.9%)
Per ave - 90k (-9.9%)
Metro - 304k (+12%)

Fox (round 8 only)
Sydn ave - 11k, 16k for Giants/Swans games
Melb ave - 127k
Bri ave - 14k, 19k for Lions/Suns games
Adl ave - 14k, 15k for Crows/Power games
Per ave - 24k, 32k for Eagles/Dockers
Metro ave - 190k
Reg ave - 44k

Round 8
Total Sydney audiences - 21k ave - 50k average for Swans/Giants including Fox/FTA (51,000 watched the Swans)
Total Brisbane audiences - 33k ave - 66k average for Lions/Suns (78,000 watched the Lions on Fox/FTA on Sunday arvo)
Total Adelaide audiences - 48k ave - 107k average for Power/Crows
Total Perth audiences - 71k ave - 174k average for Eagles/Dockers
Total Melbourne audiences - 223k

I think people might be surprised with the amount of AFL penetration that has happened within the last 3 years. This is namely thanks to Brisbane re-emerging as a top team in the competition. 4 years ago, you would be hard pressed to find any AFL related news in newspapers or on Channel 7/9. Channel 7 even has the rights to the game, and the only time they showed anything AFL related on their news up here was an AFL sacking. You would never hear about scores, or games, or player trades or anything. Walking around town you would never see anything AFL related and people wouldn't talk about it at all. All forms of media and communication up here for the game was almost dead silent for about 4-5 years. Now, things have changed. We not only have the occasional game on the main channel, however, both Channel 9 and 7 reports on AFL games (more specifically Lions games) every night. We're even getting Victorian updates (which would have been unheard of a few years ago) and you will even spot the occasional jumper in the city. The mindset change for this game has changed drastically, and this isn't due to extra promotion or anything. You have to understand that Brisbane will support a team that is bad, but Brisbane were embarrassingly bad. Whenever fans used to go to our game, they would groan over their mistakes and even chant Broncos or watch their matches on an app. To be a Brisbane fan was seen as embarrassing, and Fagan has changed that mantra. Even loyal Lions fans didn't even want to go to the games because of how bad things had become. I know we're not an AFL state, but the AFL will always have a stronger presence here than Sydney. Brisbane isn't as Rugby focused as Sydney is, and the early 2000's the Lions were a bigger team in the state than the Broncos. Things can change quickly here, and the sport (As of right now) hasn't been this healthy since the early 2000's.

Of course this is a lucky break and one bright side to the Virus crisis now that the QLD RL teams are crap esp the biggest team in the Broncos.
Having a lot of the AFL teams in QLD and playing matches in Cairns also a bonus.

I hope the QLD AFLclubs and the AFL can build on this momentum and grow the game in the North as there is massive untapped potential there.

Western Bulldogs V Richmond TV Viewership Ratings:
FTA:
Melbourne:
Adelaide:
Perth:
Sydney:
Brisbane:

Regional: (TBA)

Fox Footy:

Total: 665,000

Remove this Banner Ad

Back