Autopsy Round 11, 2020: St.Kilda v Geelong *BYTEL DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

With the state of our list atm any replacement isn't going to guarantee a better result.
We'll still probably make finals, but we're not going to challenge for a GF that's for sure.
I hope they see him through to 200, it's the right thing to do at this point..

Assuming we make finals, it'll depend a lot on who we're matched up with ... if we're playing the Bulldogs in week one, we probably go in feeling confident - if it's the Cats, probably not so much. If we're lucky, and stumble on the right opponent at a given time (think injuries, etc.) then anything can happen, but realistically, if we can get a Finals game this year, it will be progress regardless of the result.

Went to Hawkins. Doogs was getting Gorillad
Would have thought Jake should have taken him from the start , Dougs is giving away 10kg , you cant do that with Hawkins , even Jake got rag dolled i was informed like he did last week a few times , For someone his size he is very average one on one

Thats what I mean, it is not about defending Hill who showed little effort in stopping his opponent running off with the ball, but Carlisle needs to stop these disposals.
Ross, rightly gets blasted for them, but Carlisle is immune?

spot on

i actually think carlisles are worse. they're the same *in situation too across the worst spot on the ground the HBF whilst our whole zone has moved into offense.

Ross atleast is ******* these up going inside 50.

one thing i was super disappointed in the coaching group for was the lack of movement with the smaller defenders and geary.

geary was ineffective as the defencive forward and someone like Rohan was having a field day. i would have liked Geary to be moved down back to switch it up a bit.

Clark was having an absolute mare down back, he could have moved forward.

but instead the closest we got was howard going forward?

A few more notes on the game.

Good:
We stood up in contested ball and clearances this week. Even though the quality of disposal wasn't really where we'd want it it's good to see after the GC game that the players responded against a better midfield in the stoppages.

Steele putting in another great 4q performance he's becoming our new Lenny just doing the same thing week to week no matter the result. I'm starting to rely on him to never lower his colours and he seems to despise losing more than most of our team.

Sinclair and Billings tried all night, glad to see they still got a fair bit of the footy, need to clean up their disposal but we won't see the pressure Geelong put on tonight again for a while.

Phillips looked a LOT better than last week. Faded after 1/2 time but so did about 17 others.

Bytel again, I absolutely FROTH this kid, he's already built like a brick shitter and I saw a few things that tell me he's a natural. Some of his work in tight with a quick handball and an instinctive shepherd or working the angles on his kicks or moving before the ball is in play around a stoppage just make me think he's going to develop into the kind of player even taggers can't stop.

Bad:
I don't see the hype around Long tonight. He was completely ineffective as a defender to the point Ratts threw him forward and gave someone else a go on their smalls. In the same boat as Doogs tonight, soundly beaten by their direct opponents. He might try hard but he's also a bit of a turnover king and in a game where we struggled to maintain possession he went for far to many ambitious handballs that really should've been kicks and a mark.

Geary is just past it. I know some of us sound like a broken clock at this point but seriously what does he give us that about 35 other players on our list wouldn't do better. He's not a threat in attack, he didn't shut down their rebound, he doesn't provide onfield leadership, he's a liability with ball in hand under ANY form of pressure to the point where I'm legitimately glad he only had it 4 times tonight because any more and they'd have kicked 20.

King needs a kicking coach or a psych cos the last couple of weeks his goalkicking has been horrendous.

Speaking of horrendous we were so, so wasteful in front of goal tonight. A few got a bit greedy after half time too taking pointless shots. Looking at you Hind.

Hill only 7 touches, I'm starting to feel bad for the guy, I thought he worked hard again tonight and just didn't get rewarded by our own players burning his work for a long bomb to Tom Stewart instead.

Our team defence fell apart where normally it stands up under the kind of pressure they applied in the 3rd.

Onwards and upwards, let's thrash methendon next week to vent our frustration :)
Mostly like this, but I think Long was moved into the forward line because none of our forwards could stop Geelongs rebound. Also thought he did some great defensive efforts.. completely agree hope our boys take this loss out on Essendon next week

Would have thought Jake should have taken him from the start , Dougs is giving away 10kg , you cant do that with Hawkins , even Jake got rag dolled i was informed like he did last week a few times , For someone his size he is very average one on one
We had no answer for Hawkins. No answers for anything really. Just bombed in hope for most of the game.
Boys against Men.

spot on

i actually think carlisles are worse. they're the same fu**in situation too across the worst spot on the ground the HBF whilst our whole zone has moved into offense.

Ross atleast is ******* these up going inside 50.
You still can’t tell me how you know there was another option. From my tv it looked like hill read it wrongly as most said at the time.

one thing i was super disappointed in the coaching group for was the lack of movement with the smaller defenders and geary.

geary was ineffective as the defencive forward and someone like Rohan was having a field day. i would have liked Geary to be moved down back to switch it up a bit.

Yet some want the players to learn by staying in their positions just like they want some to play a certain amount of games in z a row no matter their form.

Lots of mention about Hill being soft and rightly so but has anyone mentioned how soft Carlisle is? Soft may be the wrong word because he doesn’t shirk contests, perhaps physically weak is better. For a bloke who’s 200cm he gets moved off the ball so easily. Hawkins is a big man but seriously get some body strength Jake. Get on the f**kin squat rack

Geelong seem to be allowed to push players under the ball without giving away frees.

Jake isnt a boy though ,
Sure, but 1v1 isn't his gig and everyone knows it. As soon as I saw the change I knew we were in trouble.
Nothing we could have thrown at Hawkins would have made a difference. To get there the ball traveled the length of the field and the last 5 meters of it was raffled between the Geelong forwards all night.
None of it matters in the long run.
The important aspects were that Bytel showed what he's got, and should play the rest of the year IMO, and Philips probably just saved his career.
2 youngsters with no form to show just stamped their claims. That's worth a bit within our context..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping that Ratten was just keeping some cards up his sleeve for finals as the coaching, as well as our effort, left a lot to be desired.

One consolation from the loss is that I don't think we could have played any worse than we did, we are a much better team than we showed last night.

Sure, but 1v1 isn't his gig and everyone knows it. As soon as I saw the change I knew we were in trouble.
Nothing we could have thrown at Hawkins would have made a difference. To get there the ball traveled the length of the field and the last 5 meters of it was raffled between the Geelong forwards all night.
None of it matters in the long run.
The important aspects were that Bytel showed what he's got, and should play the rest of the year IMO, and Philips probably just saved his career.
2 youngsters with no form to show just stamped their claims. That's worth a bit within our context..
I don’t get this playing the rest of the year stuff. Many say it but after a poor game or two some of those many want the player dropped. I agree with the second thing. Couldn’t agree less with the first. Our aim this year is to win as many games as possible and if a young kid isn’t in form he goes. Some older players have points in the bank like hill and some are leaders like geary. Fortunately or unfortunately they keep their position.

It was a tough game to watch, no doubt.

What annoyed me is the commentators were pretty much going with the 'Saints just not good enough' narrative (which was true) while barely mentioning the huge disparity in age / games.

We were on average three years younger and something like average 78 games to their 130 - and I believe that was the named team _before_ Ryder was a late withdrawal.

They did that stat a couple of times showing the cohorts of games (i.e. under 50, over 150 etc.) and that did get some mention; but it is annoying that Carlton and Gold Coast get the 'they are a young team, still developing' thing but we seem not to.
i felt the commentry team were woefully disrespectful to our team .... the taunting of Hind was entirely uncalled for and then laughing at the fact he didnt make the distance after gettin his head smashed into selwood ....
Garry Lyon is such a negative comentator at the best of times but he took it to new lows ...
yes we were totally outplayed but you get that when its men vs boys ... the comment made that Port were given their test and they passed and St Kilda have been given theirs and have failed badly .... ummm hello didnt we just beat port in south australia a few weeks ago ???
i dont think Jono Brown is really a fan of the saints on the best of days and we all know Huddo is a Geelong fangirl so that left Eddie to be the voice for our club and well its Eddie....

we played poorly but listening to the comentary you would think we were the crows ...

i felt the commentry team were woefully disrespectful to our team .... the taunting of Hind was entirely uncalled for and then laughing at the fact he didnt make the distance after gettin his head smashed into selwood ....
Garry Lyon is such a negative comentator at the best of times but he took it to new lows ...
yes we were totally outplayed but you get that when its men vs boys ... the comment made that Port were given their test and they passed and St Kilda have been given theirs and have failed badly .... ummm hello didnt we just beat port in south australia a few weeks ago ???
i dont think Jono Brown is really a fan of the saints on the best of days and we all know Huddo is a Geelong fangirl so that left Eddie to be the voice for our club and well its Eddie....

we played poorly but listening to the comentary you would think we were the crows ...

Huddo was nowhere near that game. It was Dwayne. Huddo is a complete professional.

I thought Lyon was great. He explained exactly what was happening and how we couldn’t manage it. He was saying exactly what many were saying on the game thread. If it was the opposite he would have said exactly the same in our favour. Lyon knows his footy and knows it very well. I don’t think huddo was even commentating.

We’ve traded in a bunch of mature players to improve immediately, if we did happen to drop our bundle and miss finals then it would be a big cross for the club. All we have to compare to is the last few years, we have to be better than that.

Yeah, if we are going to bag Richo for being s**t, Ratts has to be accountable too. Richo played a lot of the kids that are Ratts first picked and also swapped Bruce for King who is probably around the same level already, Butler for Newnes- huge upgrade, Howard for Brown- upgrade, Hill for Newnes -break even and Paddy for Longer -huge upgrade. Richo had us at 6 wins 6 losses before injury really bit hard and we were struggling to be competitive against good sides. If we fall away now it will be a fail to me. Richo also didn't have Steele as good as he is and Clark, Paton and Coffield playing consistent good footy. Not many excuses for not making the most of this year to me unless we lose a heap of players to injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back