Review Geelong defeats Port by 60 points.. Great team win!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets step through the contingency plans:

- if hawk is out, sav comes in
- if Stanley is out, sav comes in
- if hawk and Stanley are both out, then sav and fort come in
- if Rohan is out, Krueger comes in

The only instance I would entertain Jenkins coming in is if something happened to Rohan and they didn't trust Kreuger. Which is why they need to play Krueger now and see if he is up to it this year.

Agree they need to start looking at their tall forward options now.
JJ, Kreuger, Sav l think that's about it, whether it's for replacement or backup they need to have a look while they can.
As l've said a few times any opposition coach worth his salt is going to double team Hawkins at least from now on after last night's display.
Richmond would use Asprey and Broad with a big ruckman to block his run most likely something like that.
Expecting him to operate one out for the rest of the year and finals is asking for disaster, l don't care how good he is.
So yeah l think it's something they need to sort pretty quick.

Hrmmm, perhaps he's quite good at implied pressure without actually tackling. That's all I got - I can't find another reason
its rare that a player turns the ball over due to defensive pressure without a tackle being laid. And even if it does happen it would be the players who get lots of run down tackles that would be doing it as the skill would be highly positively correlated. I never see atkins causing lots of run down defensive pressure on the forward line. Not cos lack of effort. He just aint all that fast and doesnt run to the right spots. Parfit and rohan would be our best. Cocky if he gets back in is better then all of them in this area.

I think it was towards the end of the first quarter where the commentators mentioned the board on the sidelines letting the players know the quarter was nearly over - or something along those lines

Not sure if it was us or Port though who were informing their players, but either way both teams would have an understanding of what's being indicated
Was that fox or 7? I was on Fox.

Love that there's a clip of the first goal from last night - Danger is rightly praised for his kick to Hawkins advantage, and Hawkins ends up with a goal registered against his name

But one player who worked their ass off for no stat, instead just ran hard & did the team thing was Miers. If you watch the top of the footage you see him running through the centre square when Danger has ball in hand & takes his kick; Miers never stops running and ultimately he gets between Hawkins & Clurey to ensure a pressure free kick for Hawkins

It registered no stat, and may seem a little thing but shows we were switched on from the start and the team first philosophy

I like how after he kicks the goal he then screams at the empty seats before he realises no one is sitting in them.

A point was raised on SEN that with 5 weeks to the finals there's an opportunity for opposition teams to really break down how the Cat's are playing and work out how to best combat it and not give them the kind of chances Port did last night like leaving TBone one on one all night. Hodge said, "That's what happens when you play your best footy 5 weeks out from the finals. It gives other teams a chance to really look at them now."

Port won't leave TBone one on one again, that's for sure. This is the challenge for the Cat's now. We know in 2019 CS really couldn't adjust the side after opposition worked them out. So we'll now get a chance to see if he can do it in 2020. I don't think we'll be seeing TBone left one on one in many games ahead. This is the nature of the competition.

I think that is where Esava or someone else will have a role if we play them again. Our other forwards will need to provide a second dangerous option if they want to focus too heavily on Tom.

its rare that a player turns the ball over due to defensive pressure without a tackle being laid. And even if it does happen it would be the players who get lots of run down tackles that would be doing it as the skill would be highly positively correlated. I never see atkins causing lots of run down defensive pressure on the forward line. Not cos lack of effort. He just aint all that fast and doesnt run to the right spots. Parfit and rohan would be our best. Cocky if he gets back in is better then all of them in this area.

Probably not as rare as you think. Fox Footy's explanation of "the pressure gauge" shows that non-contact pressure is still valued.

Agree there are better exponents of physical pressure, though I suspect the legend of Cockatoo's pressuring ability has grown in his absence

To the people banging on about strategic losses to figure out the game plan....

How many times did we use that as an excuse to justify must win games in seasons gone past. Too many. And what was the result? Not great for us the 2nd time around.

Even worse, think pies 2011.

We could tidy that up,even last night at the end of the 2nd quarter? with us in control of the ball and only time for one long kick to to the forward 50 we pissed around with it and ran out of time.
We did get the ball in, but Danger dropped a mark which Stanley was ready to take on the chest - would have been perfect timing if the mark was held

Rhys is all over Sav in every stat. Disposals, disposal efficiency, hitouts, clearances, score involvements, meters gained, marks, goals, one percenters -pretty much everything except tackles. it is no coincidence our current vein of form coincides with Stanley's return. He wont get many plaudits for his game last night, but he was effective at nullifying the impact of Lycett and Two Metre Peter and our third highest clearance winner behind Blicavs and Danger.

Sav is exciting, and should get a run in some of the games ahead - but he is not a like for like replacement for Stanley.
No he shound not replace stanley because he is our second key forward. Not our ruckman. currently danger is filling in that role and contributing little from an aerial perspective. Its a position that needs to be filled. Its either, Sav, Jenkins or henderson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bolded is the key IMO and you've nailed it here.
The work rate of teamates to create space for the ball carrier and or possessor to go to is the key. And that comes from work rat eand effort and being proactive. Rarely last few weeks have I seen a GFC player waiting for the ball - they are moving towards it.

And the fitness staff making the boys work deeper into the endurance cycle is helping massively.

GO Catters

It's quite Richmond like. Our game almost feels like a Hybrid of Hawks Precision with Richmond doggedness and pressure.

cats_09 Is there a Crows’ preview yet?
Not yet - considering we have a 9 day break been the Port & Crows match, we can probably digest last night's effort for a day or 2 before moving to preview our next match

This is more of a conventional break between rounds, so going to enjoy a slower pace until the next period of madness

Love this guy, just speaks sooo well whether it's on the ground immediately after the match or when it's after a bit more time has passed and back in the rooms

A point was raised on SEN that with 5 weeks to the finals there's an opportunity for opposition teams to really break down how the Cat's are playing and work out how to best combat it and not give them the kind of chances Port did last night like leaving TBone one on one all night. Hodge said, "That's what happens when you play your best footy 5 weeks out from the finals. It gives other teams a chance to really look at them now."

Port won't leave TBone one on one again, that's for sure. This is the challenge for the Cat's now. We know in 2019 CS really couldn't adjust the side after opposition worked them out. So we'll now get a chance to see if he can do it in 2020. I don't think we'll be seeing TBone left one on one in many games ahead. This is the nature of the competition.
It's not as easy for them saying we won't leave him one out. That's why its called strategy. Teammates like Rohan make sure to keep their defender accountable so that they simply can't drop off him or else he'll be the one taking the mark. You cant tell me after Hawkins 3rd goal that Port were intentionally leaving him one out. It's about spreading their defense so they are left shaking their heads.

Would pull Fogarty for Clark or Close, but seriously that Clark is Selwood 2.0 bring him back.
Guthrie and Menegola are running machines they've changed this whole team.

On yesterdays performance, Fogarty won't be going anywhere. Started slowly, but his second half was excellent.

He's a player.

- It was amazing how little congratulations the team recieved from the commentators, considering we belted the 'flag favourites' by ten goals away from our home ground. I swear it's not just me. There's almost never anything positive coming from the likes of BT about us. Spinning rubbish at 3qt about how Port only needed to kick more goals than they'd already kicked for the entire game to be back in it. Is this guy delusional? Or is he just making it a TV spectacle to keep viewers interested? Very strange.

Watching the coverage on Fox footy gave a very different feel. Lyon, Brown and Roo were completely full of praise for the cats in general, but especially the big Hawk. Their analysis of our current game style was glowing and they give the impression that we are in it up to our eyeballs if we keep playing this way.

Can’t agree. Can only move east-west on the mark.

from memory the geelong player that actually contested the mark was where the mark was, Duncan just came in and created his own mark and got penalised for it. Just a really dumb play at a pivotal moment I thought.

Watching the coverage on Fox footy gave a very different feel. Lyon, Brown and Roo were completely full of praise for the cats in general, but especially the big Hawk. Their analysis of our current game style was glowing and they give the impression that we are in it up to our eyeballs if we keep playing this way.
Yeah I saw that. Thought Carey was choc full of praise for us all night on 7.
Bruce is just a silly ******** who shouldn't be on TV. So there's no point worrying about him. He wrecks every game.
BT has to say that sort of stuff. It's his job to make unrealistic statements to keep people watching.
Dwayne is way worse on Fox. 10 goals down in the last qr but they just need a Firestarter.
They have to do it.

Blitz on Saturday Countdown

One thing we took from that richmond game ('19 prelim) is that we need to keep attacking and trying to win games instead of rather than hold on. So we want to keep attacking and keep winning and take away from the opposition when we're 2/3/4 goals infront and it's been a change of attitude, a good attitude that we've had for the past month and whether it be the 1st Q or the 4th Q we try to still kick goals and win the game

The ruthlessness is back. This is the difference this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back