Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Even with the Covid affected season & Academy picks I think North would be pretty comfortable with where it sits. Maybe not the dream deal it could have been if the season had gone as normal with junior competitions and if Melbourne had replicated 2019 form.

Happy from a Melbourne perspective as we targeted players that address needs and both look capable of contributing in the near future / now. North have a decent core of young players to build around in the next few years so the urgency to pick in last seasons draft probably wasn't as high as Melbourne, who are looking to have a tilt while we still have Gawn etc.

Petracca 2
Brayshaw 3
Jackson 3
Oliver 4
Salam 9
Weiderman 9
Tomilson 9
Melksam 10
Jones 12
Pickett 12
Lever 14

Erm, Tomlinson was a free agent, Melksham came for pick 23, and Jones was drafted in 2005.

Would be far more eloquent to point to the fact that none of our 2007-2012 top 20 picks are around anymore, when they should be in their prime.

Morton, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Tapscott, Cook, Toumpas.

Do I really have to provide you with s**t talk to keep this thread going?

Will the AFL use the special herbs and spices recipe if Crouch leaves and gift the crows pick 2 like they did last year albeit in different circumstances to Suns.
Don't think we have much recourse here, given we got pick 3 for Chip.

A more pertinent example would be Frawley with Melbourne.
Yeah but I’m talking about the AFLs recent form in picks handed out. If Adelaide lose Crouch I can guarantee they get pick 2. They seem to not be consistent with the allocation despite contract size. Tigers got end of second for Ellis but he got a 3 million dollar deal over 5 years or something. Doubt that would happen this year to Crouch.

Anyway just another way picks will be pushed back this year.

Yeah but I’m talking about the AFLs recent form in picks handed out. If Adelaide lose Crouch I can guarantee they get pick 2. They seem to not be consistent with the allocation despite contract size. Tigers got end of second for Ellis but he got a 3 million dollar deal over 5 years or something. Doubt that would happen this year to Crouch.

Anyway just another way picks will be pushed back this year.

No club in the league is going to offer Crouch the dollars needed for band one and if they were, Crouch wouldn't be saying he wants to stay a Crow.

No club in the league is going to offer Crouch the dollars needed for band one and if they were, Crouch wouldn't be saying he wants to stay a Crow.
I’m not saying it will deserve band one. But the AFL special herbs and spices recipe might hand it over. Crows list is very ordinary and AFL might just give them a boost if the chance pops up.

I’m not saying it will deserve band one. But the AFL special herbs and spices recipe might hand it over. Crows list is very ordinary and AFL might just give them a boost if the chance pops up.
They played in a grand Final less than 3 years ago. This will be their 1st bottom 4 finish in 20 years - if they need a boost then so do 10 clubs.

I see people still can't understand compensation.

We didn't receive pick 3, we were allocated a pick after our first pick which because we sucked at the time was a high pick.

Pretty simple.

Plus they changed it after Frawley. Band 1 compo need to see you in the top 5% of players for salary over the age of 25.

Can someone see crouch being paid in the top 5% of players in the league over age 25?

Look just saying crows list is pretty poor. Despite a recent grand final. It’s some of their own doing to. Even if they land picks 1 and 2 they’ll be bottom 4 for next couple years anyway at least. I just wouldn’t rule out AFL giving it to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look just saying crows list is pretty poor. Despite a recent grand final. It’s some of their own doing to. Even if they land picks 1 and 2 they’ll be bottom 4 for next couple years anyway at least. I just wouldn’t rule out AFL giving it to them.
They've always got a clause that says they can do whatever they like without needing to justify it, like gifting GC 3 years of priority picks, last year.

I see people still can't understand compensation.

We didn't receive pick 3, we were allocated a pick after our first pick which because we sucked at the time was a high pick.

Pretty simple.

You are correct, however, you still in the end received pick 3.......

They've always got a clause that says they can do whatever they like without needing to justify it, like gifting GC 3 years of priority picks, last year.

That now looks like a big error - especially when they just handed one over to Geelong. Can't see them making that mistake twice in a year.

If Rockcliffe got band 2 on 650-700k can't see Crouch getting band 1.

This thread is a great lesson for everyone. The hubris and pile on around page 30, the 180 degree turn at the moment, and once Melbourne inevitably drop a couple of “should win this one” games and North snag a couple of wins we will be back to page 30 again.

At least there’s a sprinkling of astute participants who aren’t getting spooked by the result of one game.

This thread is a great lesson for everyone. The hubris and pile on around page 30, the 180 degree turn at the moment, and once Melbourne inevitably drop a couple of “should win this one” games and North snag a couple of wins we will be back to page 30 again.

At least there’s a sprinkling of astute participants who aren’t getting spooked by the result of one game.

Right at the moment it does look as though North are going to get the 2020 1st round picks they dreamed of.

Except context is key, if we finished 9th it would've been 10 which is an important thing people overlook because they want to "derp you got pick 3 for Frawley".

"If", but you didn't?

Hawthorn got pick 19 for Franklin.

You got Angus Brayshaw in 2014, you didn't get Blaine Boakhorst.

I'm really not sure what you are tring to argue? We all understand the concept of Band 1 compensation, but the simple fact is, you DID get Angus Brayshaw for James Frawley at the end of the day.

lol Bonar was one of our best pre injury

tanking is strong, more go dees wheelhouse, injuries have crippled us and have meant we went from 2-0 to where we are now

but in a shorter season I’m happy to bank the top 3 pick along with a top 10 pick from you boys and get out of this Mickey Mouse season with high end talent

What's the latest? Season going according to plan? North tanking, MFC in the 8?

Going good - after having the biggest injury list in the AFL we have now locked in pick 2 while still getting the dead ride.

I would have thought that if any club would have learnt not to go the early crow - it would be the Dee's.

can we lose, whoever we get with that pick of yours equals “I can’t believe he slipped so far, we’d have taken him with pick 6 yada yada yada nonsense”

Pickett is hardly Winston Abraham, is he?

can we lose, whoever we get with that pick of yours equals “I can’t believe he slipped so far, we’d have taken him with pick 6 yada yada yada nonsense”

Pickett is hardly Winston Abraham, is he?
Picket is some form of combination of Farmer/Betts/Rioli jk.

Last edited:
Back