News Should finals return to 20 min quarters?

Quarters should return to 20 mins

• Yes

Votes: 55 67.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 32.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
We were told we needed 16 min qtrs so games could be compacted due to covid risks. Fine fair enough.

However, the finals are not being compacted. In fact we are still even getting the pre finals bye. So there is no reason why we dont go back to normal length games for the most important part of the season.

its good for financial reasons as longer games mean more ads.

its good for finals playing statistics. Home and away player statistics this year are corrupted due to shorter games but there is no reason why this has to be the case for finals.

it will result in higher scores and more attacking play as players tire towards the end of qtrs

Make it happen afl. Go back to 20 min qtrs. Assuming ofcourse the need for compacted games was the real reason for the shorter qtrs?

Yes. It's been a reduced season for rounds and minutes. With the bye in place before finals, I'm sure the players would manage just fine with regular length quarters again.

You start the season under 1 set of rules you should finish with the same ones.

And this comes from the club that probably benefits the most from longer quarters.
Why? we started the season with no fans, then had fans, then had hubs for some part of the season, have had massive changes to holding the ball interpretations throughout the season, some teams have home games whilst others have none. Why do we need consistent 16 min qtrs for both home and away and finals? As long as its consistent for all finals teams then there is integrity.

You start the season under 1 set of rules you should finish with the same ones.

And this comes from the club that probably benefits the most from longer quarters.

Hawthorn started the season with a home game. Then had the next 6 home games not at home for a total of 7 "home" games. And managed to have 10 away games.

The AFL does whatever the AFL wants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmmmmm says the AFL.......let's make footy shorter to make AFL more appealing to those that don't like footy

how about keep the game the same length and just let those people who have had enough just walk out at 3/4 time? That's how the AFL can be all men to all people

Hawthorn started the season with a home game. Then had the next 6 home games not at home for a total of 7 "home" games. And managed to have 10 away games.
No wonder they're bottom 4, I knew there had to be a reason!!!

The point is the AFL changes the rules when it needs to Alistair Clarkson says so!!!
EFA.

Obviously the AFL needed to change the rules around home and away games so the season could proceed.

The shortened quarters was ostensibly so the AFL could compact (and complete) the season. Once the home and away season has finished I don't believe the arguments for a shorter game are relevant.

Short games are crap.

EFA.

Obviously the AFL needed to change the rules around home and away games so the season could proceed.

The shortened quarters was ostensibly so the AFL could compact (and complete) the season. Once the home and away season has finished I don't believe the arguments for a shorter game are relevant.

Short games are crap.

The big concern is the 20 minute quarters would see no difference in the quality of the games, and we get a horrible finals series to cap a year of mostly horrible football.

ANy changes to rules during the seaosn should result in a null and void season.

Compromises everything.

The 2008 AFL season and 2017 AFLw seasons are the first two which come to mind

I doubt it will happen but finals should go back to regular 20 minute quarters, it's bad enough having H&A games reduced to 16 minute quarters let alone finals.

Finals should be a war of attrition where both teams are out on their feet at the end of it, you don't get that with 16 minute quarters.

The big concern is the 20 minute quarters would see no difference in the quality of the games, and we get a horrible finals series to cap a year of mostly horrible football.
It was terrible at the start of the year, there's been some great games recently though. Helps that teams like Richmond and West Coast have remembered how to play. Doggies, Melbourne, Saints all worth watching when they're on.

Back