Toast Dogs beat Hawks : 76 - 40

Remove this Banner Ad

Gardner is a good player by the way he defiantly started badly but I put it down to this round 1 he was playing a position he hadn't played at AFL level before and had only played 2 games before that point as a forward and he got completely smashed in a team smashing that we all didn't expect to happen he wasn't the only poor performer but he was very singled out so it would of stayed on his mind come lockdown he was probably low on confidence due to it then with round 2 and the same unexpected smashing happening and him being poor again it would of ****ed his confidence completely, reckon his confidence was still a bit shot when he played against Brisbane but their was brief little signs. Then we won a game and it's seemed to start to turn around for him he looks like he's gained a s**t ton of confidence the last 3-4 weeks and his disposal and efforts are way better, he fights for every contest even when he seems out of it and does little things that seem to go unnoticed like backing Keath in a duel or getting touches around the ground ball that really help us transition the ball back out if defence.

I don't follow these things very closely but is Caleb Daniel being mentioned as a possible AA when it comes to the naming of the team?

Watching his surveil his surroundings in an instant as he sums up the best option is just a sight to behold.

Solid win, we'll take it, well done Doggies. Best game for a while from Richards & good to get game time into Duryea and Suckling. Well played to most of the team really, good goals by JJ & Smith should not even get a fine for that tackle. Dale in for Toby. Go Doggies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Bruce was quite serviceable today, was a target across the forward line and took some important grabs.

Last edited:
Here is the usual...

Expected Score
HA: 29
WB: 74

Ruck Contests (Hitouts/To Advantage)
64 - English (23/6)
16 - Bruce (2/0)

First Possessions
HA: 33
WB: 34

Effective Clearances
HA: 14
WB: 27

Tackle Efficiency
HA: 66%
WB: 76%

WB Kicks Inside 50
WB KI50.png
Score Launches

5 - Dunkley
2 - Bontempelli, English, Macrae
1 - Naughton, Liberatore, Bruce, R. Smith, Richards, Williams, Daniel, Keath, B. Smith, Johannisen

Shots At Goal
HA: 8 (75%)
WB: 24 (46%)

2 - English (100%)
2 - Johannisen (100%)
2 - Naughton (100%)
2 - R. Smith (50%)
2 - Crozier (0%)
2 - Dunkley (0%)
2 - Hunter (0%)
2 - Richards (0%)
1 - Daniel (100%)
1 - McLean (100%)
1 - B. Smith (100%)
1 - Wallis (100%)
1 - Bruce (0%)
1 - Liberatore (0%)
1 - Macrae (0%)
1 - Suckling (0%)

Targets Inside 50
11 - Bruce
6 - Naughton
5 - Johannisen
3 - Wallis
2 - R. Smith
1 - Dunkley, English, Liberatore, Suckling

Turnovers Punished By Goals
1 - Gardner

Pressure Gauge
HA: 194 (Above Average)
WB: 198 (Above Average)

Score Sources
SS.png

Got the job done which was good.

Shattered about Toby, not just for this year but next. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for him obviously.

Caleb was sensational, I’m so glad he’s ours.

Gardner deserves a lot of credit. I’m still not convinced he’s good enough yet, but he has improved a lot in the last few weeks, and given he’s been smashed by everyone, he deserves a lot of credit.

If we make the finals it’s be bloody good to have Libba in the side - we didn’t have him last year against GWS and missed him badly.

Hopefully we get the job done next week obviously, Freo are a good side, but I feel we will win.

Dermott set the bar for our score at 110 at half time so anything short of that...well...some worrying signs:rolleyes:

I thought the Hawks were actually very competitive around the ball and went in pretty hard. Obviously some are playing for list spots but nonetheless there was some merit in the performance of some of their more inexperienced players and Gunston went alright also. Not hopeless.

Richards played a much better game in terms of getting to the right spots but made poor decisions and was still missing defensively.
Roarke did everything he needed to and played his role.
Duryea adds that small defence we have lacked.
Suckling way off the pace similar to Dickson.
Was impressed as always by b.smith offensively but offered zero defensively which was disappointing.
JJ up forward probably needed to happen earlier did very well, interested to see how he goes against better opposition.
Gards was good in the first half switching play was still serviceable afterwards just got a bit ambitious in picking low % kicks
Naughton running through packs excited me. Love when his up and about.
Dunkley and libba amazing defensively while still offering something going forward.
Daniel was simply brilliant was probably equal to macreas 40 possession game earlier in the year. 28 touches lead the game for marks, kicks, intercepts and meters gained truly and all round great game going either way.
Lastly shout out to McLean coming off his best performance and looking switched on with the early goal, speedy recovery mate

Anyone who thinks Gardner didn't play a good game knows nothing about footy.

I know nothing about footy 😬
My problem with him is footy nous. Any high ball comes in he is programmed to just punch and spoil.
it matters not to him where it goes or who he spoils.

He was ok today , but I think he will be “ fun “to watch In finals if we are there.

Freo massive danger side atm especially Cairns. It’s going to rain or be slippery because of humidity and low scoring as a result. Which means unless either side doesn’t put in a stinker it will be close. With that in mind I was hoping for a percentage boost against a side who were very vulnerable to a big loss. Very disappointing to lose second half even a man down. I want to play finals every year with the talented players we have so percentage still may count if Melb v ESS is a small Melbourne win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back