Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Congrats on making the 40 man team

Travis Boak
2013, 2014 All Australian.
Nominated also for squad member in 2019.
17 games in 2020.
394 disposals. 193 kicks, 47 marks, 201 handballs averaging 23.2 disposals, 11.4 kicks, 2.8 marks, 11.8 handballs. 88 clearances. 63 tackles. 170 contested possessions. 70 inside 50m. Eight goals. Seven behinds. 92 score involvements.

Zak Butters
Never previously All Australian.
15 games in 2020.
225 disposals. 118 kicks, 52 marks, 107 handballs averaging 15 disposals, 7.9 kicks, 3.5 marks, 7.1 handballs. 21 clearances. 39 tackles. 100 contested possessions. 33 inside 50m. 11 goals. Five behinds. 79 score involvements.

Darcy Byrne-Jones

17 games in 2020.
295 disposals. 183 kicks, 60 marks, 112 handballs averaging 17.4 disposals, 10.8 kicks, 3.5 marks, 6.6 handballs. 38 clearances. 116 contested possessions. 92 intercept possessions.

Charlie Dixon
155 disposals. 100 kicks, 65 marks (43 contested marks), 55 handballs averaging 9.7 disposals, 6.3 kicks, 4.1 marks, 3.4 handballs. 24 tackles. 114 contested possessions. 32 goals. 21 behinds. 88 score involvements.

Tom Jonas
Nominated for squad member in 2017, 2018.
17 games in 2020.
178 disposals. 118 kicks, 69 marks, 60 handballs averaging 10.5 disposals, 6.9 kicks, 4.1 marks, 3.5 handballs. 25 tackles. 71 contested possessions. 103 spoils.

great to see butters and DBJ reconised!

Butters making the list statistically is kind of outrageous but he's also been the most efficient and impactful player in the league this year. Stoked he got recognised.

Boak & Jonas should be locks. Charlie and DBJ a very good chance of making it too

Boak and Dixon are the only ones likely to make it IMO. DBJ may sneak in but I wouldn't bet on it.

Huge achievement for Butters to come into AA consideration this early in his career, even if it is only the squad.

Butters making the list statistically is kind of outrageous but he's also been the most efficient and impactful player in the league this year. Stoked he got recognised.

Boak & Jonas should be locks. Charlie and DBJ a very good chance of making it too
It’s why I don’t value stats like some. Glad he got recognised. I think this board is keenly awaiting to see what Zak Butters can do this finals series.

Well done to all.

p9GT0sCHMwpcsmxDfGmLjDjnh0WxyNiTWHoHK5178l-MaYUVtTNSfgy2GYMtK4ekCahL4RpPvWKzVhj1D9VlEOMA_o9ztetY-dv3pJJH5JJrvADDuR4H-hzI28CUxHLtSv3rC21b3Dqy6g

Surprised they made the right picks, thats probably the top 5 in our BnF. Now to put 3 or more in the team.
Have I overrated SPP and Wines? My top 5 in the votes is currently Boak, SPP, Dixon, Wines, Byrne-Jones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So in order of likelihood of getting in

Boak
Dixon
Jonas
DBJ
Butters

Ollie probably unlucky.

An absolute lock for the 2nd half of the season All Australian.

Great recognition for Butters, no chance to make the team though.

Boak a lock, Dixon very close to a lock finishing with the most contested marks and 2nd most goals.

Jonas had a great season, but Grimes, Moore and Andrews likely will get the nod ahead of him.

DBJ an outside chance, but could sneak in on the bench if only Boak and Dixon get in and selectors feel minor premier should have more players.

Last edited:
Boak is a lock. Jonas is the captain of the team that's been on top of the ladder all year long and Dixon came second in the Coleman.

DBJ probably just misses out but this is still amazing recognition for him, Butters even more so. Butters might not get in this year but this recognition in just his second year will go a long way in the future.

Butters for me is fully deserving of a spot in the team, but won't get it this year. Some of the names thrown around for that 5th/6th AA forward spot on the main board include Dan Butler and Mitch Wallis

If you'd rather have those guys running around for us next week then good luck to you.

Social media was quick to jump on the players they deemed seriously unlucky to miss out on a place in the squad with none gaining more traction than Melbourne’s Steven May.

“Just staggered May is not in the best 40. I’d have him in the team not the 40,” The Age’s Michael Gleeson wrote.

His name along with North’s Todd Goldstein and GWS’ Lachie Whitfield were prominently thrown around among the brutal snubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back