All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

When'sthe last time ports have had 5 in the squad

Without looking it up I'd safely say never since the squad thing is pretty new and we've been pretty s**t since it started.

Performance wise don't disagree with you, but the narrative around DBJ during our games has been strong over the last month.

Yeah, my point isn't about perception, i'm talking about who deserves it. I know selecting players who deserve a spot over players who are hyped and have the largest cheer section in the media is a novel concept, but i still hold out some hope there's still an ounce of integrity left in this sport. Naive, i know.

And i'm not saying Dixon doesn't deserve it, but DBJ had a better, more consistent whole year for mine.

Didn’t expect to see Butters in there but so glad he is. Arguably one of our most important players.

Stoked for the other 4 too. In a perfect world, they all make the final 22.

Butters missing 2 games probably kills his chances

Boak and Charlie locks imo

DBJ should make the side

Jonas can't see it imo

Would be the first time.

If they had the 40 squad back in the 00’s then we would have in 02, 03, 04.

Butters for me is fully deserving of a spot in the team, but won't get it this year. Some of the names thrown around for that 5th/6th AA forward spot on the main board include Dan Butler and Mitch Wallis

If you'd rather have those guys running around for us next week then good luck to you.
I must be watching every game Wallis has been excellent in and there’s been quite a few.

Yeah, my point isn't about perception, i'm talking about who deserves it. I know selecting players who deserve a spot over players who are hyped and have the largest cheer section in the media is a novel concept, but i still hold out some hope there's still an ounce of integrity left in this sport. Naive, i know.

And i'm not saying Dixon doesn't deserve it, but DBJ had a better, more consistent whole year for mine.
I believe we still have Warren G on the selection panel so we are fairly represented; guarantee that is the only way Butters was nominated as he didn't have the hype. I can see a scenario where he is given a choice between DBJ and Jonas in defence; possibly the thing going for Jonas is his "body of work", having been an AA squad member previously.

The big thing is the competition. Aside from Hawkins there's relatively little competition for key forwards, whereas the quality of key defenders this year has been high.

Dixon has Hawkins, Gunston and Taberner as his competition.
Jonas has Weitering, Andrews and Moore as his competition.

In the B&F I'd have DBJ > Jonas > Dixon, but I can't see any scenario where Dixon isn't picked above at least Gunston and Taberner.

Who is Jonas up against?

He is not really a key defender. Well, he is but he isn’t. Always takes one the best forwards or resting mids. Some clubs ‘flashy’ defenders are often playing as a man behind the ball, and just interceptors. Good for marks, contested marks and stats.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who is Jonas up against?

He is not really a key defender. Well, he is but he isn’t. Always takes one the best forwards or resting mids. Some clubs ‘flashy’ defenders are often playing as a man behind the ball, and just interceptors. Good for marks, contested marks and stats.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He should be there as an intercepting third tall in my opinion, so his typical competition should be with your Jeremy McGoverns, Nick Haynes, Jake Levers etc. In a real defence he should coexist very easily with a couple taller lockdown defenders.

I think his best hope for All Australian is that the decision is essentially:
2 of Weitering / Andrews / Moore
2 of Jonas / Haynes / Blicavs / Ridley

Let me get this straight, Port Adelaide is the top ranked team with the stingiest defence in the league and our only representation in the final AA defence is maybe DBJ? Seems legit.

Let me get this straight, Port Adelaide is the top ranked team with the stingiest defence in the league and our only representation in the final AA defence is maybe DBJ? Seems legit.

It's probably fair to say that if Geelong was in the ladder position we are the AA selectors would be inventing positions on the field to fit them all in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grimes and vlastuin getting named was a surprise to me. I thought they had good years but did they have exceptional years?

vlastuin should be right in the middle of a huge pack. Did he have a better year than Hartlett?

Sheppard Daniels vlastuin. Hartlett was as good as any of them. Not that I’m that bothered by Hartlett missing but if he misses then those selections have to be very very borderline.

Grimes and vlastuin getting named was a surprise to me. I thought they had good years but did they have exceptional years?

vlastuin should be right in the middle of a huge pack. Did he have a better year than Hartlett?

Sheppard Daniels vlastuin. Hartlett was as good as any of them. Not that I’m that bothered by Hartlett missing but if he misses then those selections have to be very very borderline.
It was Vlastuin’s hand work in and off the field that got him selected 😉

If Jonas misses out to Moore weitering that is clear Vic media bias.

He’s been great all around. The best defender in the best defense in the best team all year.

He’s shutdown players, he’s intercepted and he’s been excellent with the ball in hand and he’s been a leader.

Weitering and Moore havent dome shutdown jobs at all

Jones / roughhead take the best defenders and Moore / weitering while very good players just float around.

Jonas has clearly been able to do both.

It’s Andrews and Jonas as they first two defenders picked or they’re muppets.

Boak and Dixon are locks.

DBJ not sure, could go either way.

Don't think Jonas will make it but the one thing I would say is that he was well in contention in 2017 and 2018 (apparently there was a two hour debate where the committee was split between him and Tom Stewart, they went for Stewart) and they do like rewarding players who have been in contention for a while.

Butters, * me, how amazing is he. Fully deserved too. Won't make the 22 but what great recognition.

Butters missing 2 games probably kills his chances

Boak and Charlie locks imo

DBJ should make the side

Jonas can't see it imo

Never.

4 in 2007. Lade, the Cornes brothers and Brett Ebert. Peter Burgoyne robbed IMO. Only Brett didn't make it to the team.

Geelong only had 9 in the squad.

Andrew McLeod ending up AA Captain lol.

Someone needs to put together a Butters 2020 highlight video so I can just send that to all the people that have no idea what they’re talking about

HAs anyone tweeted this to the club? Hopefully they are on it.

Probably has had a similar year to Wingards 2013 just without that huge breakout Showdown game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back