List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our 1st will be too high for Reef.

As it stands probably, but there could be some compo picks that push us out further. Williams, Daniher and Crouch could potentially be three extra picks before ours. Then you've got academy kids, with maybe bulldogs, port and sydney eating up an extra pick in front of us matching a bid.

Last edited:
As it stands probably, but there could be some compo picks that push us out further. Williams, Daniher and Crouch could potentially be three extra picks before ours. Then you've got academy kids, with maybe bulldogs, port and sydney eating up an extra pick in front of us matching a bid.

In that case I’d be trying to bundle it up with next years first to move higher up the order this year if that’s what’s needed.

Completely missed this article, but sounds like that’s Hine’s strategy to avoid using it on Daicos.

In that case I’d be trying to bundle it up with next years first to move higher up the order this year if that’s what’s needed.

Completely missed this article, but sounds like that’s Hine’s strategy to avoid using it on Daicos.

It's hard to know where Reef will go. Most amateur draft watchers have him going mid teens, and despite some knockers Cal Twomeys draft board is pretty accurate. He says that it's his own ratings, but its clear he talks to recruiters and bases it on that, so its usually closeish to the mark. He has Reef at 16 and he usually has academy prospects and father sons a bit higher. Some reckon he is trying to pump up other team's prospects, but I think it's just recruiters cheekily pumping them up and him running with it. Rendell in that interview said we have him 20-30 and he seems like a straight shooter, and in the same interview his effusive praise of Nick Daicos makes it seem less likely he is playing funny buggers to me. Hasn't played this year, bad back, who knows.

It's becoming evident that Grundy takes up too much of our salary cap which means we are stuck with rookie, young or other cheap forwards. The other concern is we apparently have cap issues and we only scraped in the eight this year.

It's becoming evident that Grundy takes up too much of our salary cap which means we are stuck with rookie, young or other cheap forwards. The other concern is we apparently have cap issues and we only scraped in the eight this year.
Meanwhile at Richmond.. dusty and lynch are on 6-7 year deals.
Coniglio, Whitfield on long term deals while signed up everyone except 2 players who are leaving and plan on signing Cameron.

Danger and ablett and Hawkins would be on good money

Yet we are the only one with a cap issue and cant recruit because we are too broke...

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coniglio, Whitfield on long term deals while signed up everyone except 2 players who are leaving and plan on signing Cameron.

Yet we are the only one with a cap issue and cant recruit because we are too broke...

Yeah I don't get it either Jen.

We may be tight this year but I can see a fair bit of the cap opening up if we lose the likes of Beams, Langers, Varcoe, Reid, Shaz, maybe Mayne and possibly trading out the likes of Cox/Phillips/Sier/JT for picks.

At Geelong lets not forget that players like Selwood, Duncan, Stewart, Blicavs, Menegola, Guthrie etc must be on good coin, and they brought in Dahlhaus and Stevens on decent money.
Only thing that it comes down to is that these guys play for well unders, and they are happy to do that.

Cost wise, considering North has backed themselves into a corner because they have basically "delisted" Brown, without actually removing him off the list. So l think the bargaining power of North has all but evaporated.
His salary, he would have been on a $700-$750k contract at North, or what he may have re-signed for, but Brown now needs a club, so whoever gets him will sign him for a $450-$500k contract probably over 2 years.
I don't think injury was his main issue this year, despite his arthroscope in latter stages of the season, which is basically a clean up of his knee. His issue was more mind, and that could be due to the personal issues he had off field.

His cost like all commodities will depend on demand. If nobody wants him then he may come relatively cheap. But if it turns in to a bidding war between clubs his price goes up substantially. Not sure who else might be interested.

I wasn’t aware exploring options and entertaining a trade meant pack your bags you’re gone.

So let’s say multiple clubs will give him a 4 year $700k deal, why would we accept a pick that late? How does it benefit the club?

His price will depend on demand. Question is how many clubs would seriously look at him.

Few blokes in here are hard to please. Got rocks in your head if you think getting Ben Brown is a bad move. Obviously we shouldn't be selling the farm and we'll be doing due diligence. If his knee is cooked he won't be coming unless it's for peanuts. Mihocek and Cox will not win us a premiership. People complaining about his age - he's younger than cox and 2 months older than Mihocek.

It was a blocking free kick to Maynard from doing so.

If we can get Brown for decent unders then you'd snap him up in a heartbeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His cost like all commodities will depend on demand. If nobody wants him then he may come relatively cheap. But if it turns in to a bidding war between clubs his price goes up substantially. Not sure who else might be interested.

Couldn't see a bidding war for Brown. It looks as though we may be interested, but have a few loose ends to tie up first, Brisbane seem only interested in Daniher, Hawks said no, and l doubt GC will take him, as they need to develop King. Maybe Essendon will look at him if Daniher walks. Besides that, can't see another club who needs him. Either way l can't see Brown getting a contract to far north of $500k a season.

Last edited:
I’ve said it before... and I don’t agree with it... but I could see the pies giving up a 1st for B Brown + Polec with North to pay portions of their wages.

After Wells, Mayne, Beams... This this seems to be the Collingwood way

This article, unless there is something more recent which provides more information, should scare the living sh*t out of anyone looking to recruit Brown, especially for a high pick, big money or a long contract.

People in this thread are getting bogged down in the impact of surgery, saying Brown hasn’t had serious ligament damage, that he hasn’t been quoted as being bone-on-bone, etc. They point out that an arthroscope is a relatively minor procedure...

... and they’re right, it is. WHEN YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT YOU’RE LOOKING FOR. Brown in the above article is saying his knee is inflamed and swollen and he can’t run. His scans are clear enough so HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT IS WRONG. They are performing an arthroscope looking for a problem! And if they trim some cartilage, find a minor tear or a flap (because keep in mind, there supposedly wasn’t anything on imaging) it may not have any effect on his symptoms whatsoever.

Brown should be treated as though he is Tom Langdon but without the black and white jumper, until proven otherwise. You want to trade a first for him? Give him a four-year deal? Better do your due diligence, or it could end VERY badly.

If North don't know what's wrong I don't see how we'll figure it out with a medical. It basically means you go into any deal without understanding the severity of the injury. I'm surprised the arthroscopy hasn't happened yet given his season is over. It represents too much risk at the likely asking price.

Last edited:
If North don't know what's wrong I don't see how we'll figure out with a medical. It basically means you go into any deal without understanding the severity of the injury. I'm surprised the arthroscopy hasn't happened yet given his season is over. It represents too much risk at the likely asking price.
The arthroscopy has already been done

A couple of points on Brown:

If Cameron is available he is 1000% the preferred option.

Its pretty obvious we need to do due diligence with BB, as we would any player. Thats why clubs do medicals, look into players history and weigh up the risk. No club is giving up a 1st, or even a 2nd round pick for a bloke with degenerative knee issues, let alone paying him $750k on a 4 year deal, especially not us after Langdon's troubles.

No one in the pro-Brown camp is suggesting we go "balls to the wall" chasing the bloke. But IF we can't get Cameron, and IF his knee issues aren't as dramatic as what we're assuming they are based on a handful of articles, and IF he doesn't break the bank, he is a great pick up.

Its pretty obvious we need to do due diligence with BB, as we would any player. Thats why clubs do medicals, look into players history and weigh up the risk. No club is giving up a 1st, or even a 2nd round pick for a bloke with degenerative knee issues, let alone paying him $750k on a 4 year deal, especially not us after Langdon's troubles.

No one in the pro-Brown camp is suggesting we go "balls to the wall" chasing the bloke.
Whatever that process is, we have a very recent example of the medical either being flawed or overlooked, to the great detriment of the quality of our playing list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back