List Mgmt. 2020 Trade and List Management Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple equation imo.

a) Stock up bigtime on b and c graders from other clubs, get a sugar hit for a couple of years, hit the lower reaches of the 8, miss out on the top end draft talent and slowly float down the bottom again.

b) Strip out our mature quality talent, ala Higgins, Polec, Brown, leave our young talent leaderless and unsupported and see us entrenched in the bottom, ala Carlton and Melbourne, for an unnecessary length of time threatening our Club's existence.

c) Leave the remaining mature talent in place to shore up the foundations, place more game time and responsibility into our genuinely talented under 23's and as they're building and taking control, fill our boots at the next two drafts and then strike with a vengeance so they will never use our name with such contempt ever again.

Pretty easy choice for me.

Simple equation imo.

a) Stock up bigtime on b and c graders from other clubs, get a sugar hit for a couple of years, hit the lower reaches of the 8, miss out on the top end draft talent and slowly float down the bottom again.

b) Strip out our mature quality talent, ala Higgins, Polec, Brown, leave our young talent leaderless and unsupported and see us entrenched in the bottom, ala Carlton and Melbourne, for an unnecessary length of time threatening our Club's existence.

c) Leave the remaining mature talent in place to shore up the foundations, place more game time and responsibility into our genuinely talented under 23's and as they're building and taking control, fill our boots at the next two drafts and then strike with a vengeance so they will never use our name with such contempt ever again.

We have only announced that we are trading Brown... the Higgins & Polec stuff is pure speculation.
I’d be surprised if we trade all 3

Leppa would be an ideal mentor and he's stepping away from Richmond.
Leppa was a failure at Brissie He appeared far too inexperienced for the task.

Shaw worries me along the same lines and I want an mature assistant coach who has been in the system for years. Matt Rendell, Williams etc. I worry that Leppa is too young.

Other than prying players out of their current deals, there isnt anything on the market thats any good..

I can’t see much out there either which is probably why we’re going to be neck deep in the draft.

Although I wouldn’t be surprised if he brings in 2 or 3 blue collar workhorse types to fill out the game plan.

Can I categorically rule out we are going into next season sans Brown, Higgins, Polec, Goldy and Cunnington.

The first three are public for a reason - they are being shopped and the most likely to go. The suggestion all five them are on the way out is just ridiculous. Laughable.

For all this talk of players leaving due to us not being able to compete next season, who have we actually lost that is anything more than fringe 22 at best?

To date:
- 11 delistings and not one is more than fringe at best.
- a number of young players are able to kick off their 3rd and 4th (usually breakout) years
- Ben Brown is still not gone.
- If Logan McDonald is selected, he will play round 1 due to WAFL experience this year
- Backline likely strengthened by Corr and improvement in McKay.
- Several important players will be available again, especially Cunnington.

And move all senior players back to where they are most effective. We got experience into the kids and they are more prepared now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why is Cunnington not tradeable?

Given his age, given the tough inside role he has played over a long time now, given his lack of aerobic ability and our serious need for pace, given the serious injury he is coming off, given his poor defensive prowess and accountability, given the midfield needs to rebuilt, you'd at least have to consider it.

For mine, Higgins, Tarrant, Brown and even Polec don't have this many question marks hanging over them.

I love Cunners, I was defending him on here when he was a teenager and everyone thought he was a wasted pick. But he is not untradeable.
True, if Gold Coast offered us Matt Rowell in a straight swap, i’d do it...

For all this talk of players leaving due to us not being able to compete next season, who have we actually lost that is anything more than fringe 22 at best?

To date:
- 11 delistings and not one is more than fringe at best.
- a number of young players are able to kick off their 3rd and 4th (usually breakout) years
- Ben Brown is still not gone.
- If Logan McDonald is selected, he will play round 1 due to WAFL experience this year
- Backline likely strengthened by Corr and improvement in McKay.
- Several important players will be available again, especially Cunnington.

And move all senior players back to where they are most effective. We got experience into the kids and they are more prepared now.

Finlaa

Finally a post without doom and gloom! Correct we haven't gotten rid of any top22.... we have had food development in plenty of kids this year. Corr great addition if we get that confirmed then a couple more additions plus two top ten draft picks and a pick in the 20s and we will be back on track. Still got four weeks til fa starts so plenty of time yet to be putting bums on seats... I'm sure there is plenty of chat with potential recruits going on behind the scenes... let's have faith

I was talking to a former player yesterday, and he explained it to me like this.

some of the players, Higgins, Taz, Goldy signed contract extensions to the club after presentations made to the players that the club would remain competitive, that making finals in 2020, 2021, 2022 were priorities.
The club has pivoted, rightly, to a rebuild model. If the players feel they want to move to a contender in their last 2-3 years the club won’t stand in their way.
I love Robbie, he has been a super player for so long. He will always be a great North Melbourne man, but if he went to the club and wanted out I expect the club to respect his wish.
Pretty much as you would expect. We're not actively shopping but you really have to give them this option. You don't want pissed off veterans hanging around.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leppa was a failure at Brissie He appeared far too inexperienced for the task.

Shaw worries me along the same lines and I want an mature assistant coach who has been in the system for years. Matt Rendell, Williams etc. I worry that Leppa is too young.
We gave the other muppet 10 years, surely we can give Scamper just a couple to see if he’s up to it?..

Whatever happened to the rumour that JUH wasn’t happy with the Bulldogs?
It seemed highly likely to be BS. In principle though, I suppose a player must be able to turn down an NGA nomination like they can with a f/s.

Simple equation imo.

Presumably you choose 'c'.

How pray tell do you "fill your boots at the next two drafts" with one Top 20 pick in each of those drafts?

Why is Cunnington not tradeable?

Given his age, given the tough inside role he has played over a long time now, given his lack of aerobic ability and our serious need for pace, given the serious injury he is coming off, given his poor defensive prowess and accountability, given the midfield needs to rebuilt, you'd at least have to consider it.

For mine, Higgins, Tarrant, Brown and even Polec don't have this many question marks hanging over them.

I love Cunners, I was defending him on here when he was a teenager and everyone thought he was a wasted pick. But he is not untradeable.
I dont no why or how you defended him since you have not said one positive thing about him in this post is he truly that bad.

As has been pointed out they were sold a vision of where we were at that was vastly different from the current reality. There is almost no chance we play finals next year and we are only really a chance in 2022.
If it is true, as has been speculated with Higgo, that some they have been told they are unlikely to get an extension beyond their current deal, then it is only fair we don't stand in the way of them being able to extend their careers by a year or two.
Come on selling a vision, thats a load of horseshit. They were never guaranteed anything. No one ever is when they sign on to a club. He was offered a deal to geelong (higgins and goldy) who were in a far better position on the field than us and they stayed. They had their opportunity

An interesting article on AFL.com right now regarding fastest players in games.

I know to speed isn't reflective of acceleration, although: (1) It makes it pretty obvious we lack elite speed; and, (2) Aidan Corr clocked faster than any of our players in 2020.

Our top five -
Marley Williams, 34.0km/h v Hawthorn, round 4
Jamie Macmillan, 33.1km/h v North Melbourne, round 1
Tarryn Thomas, 32.9km/h v Hawthorn, round 4
Cameron Zurhaar, 32.8km/h v St Kilda, round 1
Shaun Atley, 32.8km/h v Fremantle, round 17

If Cunners back is truly cooked and he knows it, he'll just retire to the farm.

He wouldn't bother moving clubs for a couple of years and a bit of extra pocket money.

That's just not his nature.
Cunners is an introvert too. He doesnt wanna * around going to another club to people he doesnt know or like. Thats not in his character. Yes, he’ll retire long before putting his hand up to move

Can I categorically rule out we are going into next season sans Brown, Higgins, Polec, Goldy and Cunnington.

The first three are public for a reason - they are being shopped and the most likely to go. The suggestion all five them are on the way out is just ridiculous. Laughable.
How is Cunners tracking?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back