Recommitted Clayton Oliver [re-signed until 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Who made this up? What’s he not happy at?

You're asking why he would want to leave. It's the same for many players - disgruntled and hasn't bought into the direction of the club.

Very unlikely anything transpires, but if we're offering to top up his contract and there's something about Carlton he likes he may as well do his due diligence and consider his options.

You're asking why he would want to leave. It's the same for many players - disgruntled and hasn't bought into the direction of the club.

Very unlikely anything transpires, but if we're offering to top up his contract and there's something about Carlton he likes he may as well do his due diligence and consider his options.
I never asked why would he want to leave.

I asked why would Melbourne trade the league number one contested possession player and the league number one clearance player.

Carlton have asked about Oliver every year for the last 3 years. End of 2018 they offered him $5M for 5 years. Now that offer has significantly dropped but each year they’ve asked. It’s really no different to the dees asking about Langdon two years in a row or Gunston. Or Freo asking for Brayshaw pretty much every year since he was drafted.

This all came about because Scam McClure said Oliver was unhappy. What it was, was he was unhappy with 5th at the BnF behind Langdon and Viney. He doesn’t actually want to go... at this point. I’ve heard it said that MFC have the second most cap space (don’t know where I heard it, probably Scam again) so Oliver won’t be short for cash next year. If he wants go it’ll be for other reasons.

A top 25 per cent player is eligible for unrestricted free agency when next out of contract, provided a player can never be an unrestricted free agent until completing at least 10 years’ service at one club.

My mistake, what a horribly worded sentence though.

If something had to give it would be a contracted Brayshaw before a contracted Oliver. It’s not like we’ll be pushed into unders when he’s in contract.

I don’t think you will be pushed into anything. You will keep Oliver.

But if Brayshaw is buying in and wants to hang around long term and Oliver has an eye on the door you trade Oliver. But you would wait until next year when he’s OOC anyway.

All hypothetical ofcourse. I have him at Melbourne for life.

Carlton have asked about Oliver every year for the last 3 years. End of 2018 they offered him $5M for 5 years. Now that offer has significantly dropped but each year they’ve asked. It’s really no different to the dees asking about Langdon two years in a row or Gunston. Or Freo asking for Brayshaw pretty much every year since he was drafted.

This all came about because Scam McClure said Oliver was unhappy. What it was, was he was unhappy with 5th at the BnF behind Langdon and Viney. He doesn’t actually want to go... at this point. I’ve heard it said that MFC have the second most cap space (don’t know where I heard it, probably Scam again) so Oliver won’t be short for cash next year. If he wants go it’ll be for other reasons.

He’s met with us, but again, unlikely anything comes of it. Players need to know where they stand in the market and what they’re worth should they decide to take up another offer.

with all this talk about Carlton having all this cap space does it take into consideration that the salary cap is looking at shrinking by around 20% for 2021?

with all this talk about Carlton having all this cap space does it take into consideration that the salary cap is looking at shrinking by around 20% for 2021?

Our offers which have been reported have a clause whereby if the cap shrinks by a certain percentage so do their contracts. The players have agreed to these terms.

But I still dont think were getting Oliver so rest easy

Nope it's all paper bags, just like all the other rebuilding sides ..... :D
Only one club has a nice long history of building sides with paper bags

Then they used recycled paper bags

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never said they couldn't afford it. I am saying Carlton fans numbers in this thread don't add up.

Maybe the CEO is being very loose with what he rates as an 'A grader'

Maybe the CEO is puffing out his chest a little leading in to the trade period

Or maybe Carlton have some players on the way out to go with the players coming in

Or maybe Carlton have just got the cash and been managed brilliantly

I am simply disputing that Carlton have front loaded a lot of contracts, had veterans on big money whilst also paying the minimum amount of the cap they can.

Every article I have seen said they paid 95% previously, 105% this year.

SOS was frugal with our salary cap spending and left us in a great position :hearteyes:

Think (not guaranteed) we front loaded Martin to $1.4M of this $600,000 a year contract to get to 95% of the cap..
***Not included in figures below reduced wages for Murphy & Casboult***

So
+ $1.24M 95-105% of Cap
+ $800k Martin reduction
= $2.04M + Kruezer (?$500k) + Simpson (?$500k)

Available Cap
$3.04M
- Williams $750k
- Saad $600k
=$1,690,000 Remaining

Some of this would have been eaten up by recent signings, but we have enough for an Oliver Big Fish signing

That doesn't make much sense. Paying veterans who aren't likely to leave and would only need to be on max average wages over half a million isn't frugal.

Ok mate so tell us what we did since you seem to know. I mean the club has come out and said we have enough money to go after A grader why are you disputing what the ceo said ?

Remarkable how outgoing players always have inflated contracts (even Darcy Lang is clearing contract space now, * me dead he'd be on the bare minimum and eaten up by 4 months of Jacob Weiterings extension), and players coming in are always front loaded to the year...

So how did you manage 95% paying Kreuzer and Simpson 1.2mil, Martin 1.2mil, Cripps and Docherty and McGovern on big dollars etc? That's what we're disputing.

Whilst I'm not a Carlton supporter, it's pretty obvious how they have cap room....

For the past 2 season they would of struggled to be at the 95% minimum so they front ended McGovern and Martin (and maybe others) to get to the max of 105%.
They are now paying heaps less on those front ended contracts for the coming seasons.

The difference between 95% and 105% is $1.24m, so if they are paying McGovern and Martin $400k less each this year than last, plus $1m from Kruezer and Simpson, that is $1.8m less than the 105% cap, or around 92%.
Meaning they have around 8%, or $900k just to reach 100% of the cap, plus another $600k to reach 105% if they have/need to.

All that said, according to AFL.com they are looking at a cheaper player then Oliver, and going on the above guesstimations, that tends to make sense.

My money would be on a Constable type

Yes. This.

Not because of Darcy Lang leaving. A million would be an overestimate for Simpson and Kreuzer, but Murphy would get a substantial decrease too.

All in all Saad, Williams plus Weitering upgrade (which none of these Carlton fans included in their projections, if Simpson was on 500k then Weitering would be on 900k...) probably takes them to 100%.

Remarkable how outgoing players always have inflated contracts (even Darcy Lang is clearing contract space now, fu** me dead he'd be on the bare minimum and eaten up by 4 months of Jacob Weiterings extension), and players coming in are always front loaded to the year...

So how did you manage 95% paying Kreuzer and Simpson 1.2mil, Martin 1.2mil, Cripps and Docherty and McGovern on big dollars etc? That's what we're disputing.

This is what we all seem to do; Just because we cant get our heads around all possibilities - It clearly must be cheating.
Maybe teams just manufacture situations to make things work.

Look no further than GWS, with Coniglio, Kelly, Greene, Cameron, Whitfield, Davis, Ward, Taranto, Williams, Haynes etc.

SOS was frugal with our salary cap spending and left us in a great position :hearteyes:

Think (not guaranteed) we front loaded Martin to $1.4M of this $600,000 a year contract to get to 95% of the cap..
***Not included in figures below reduced wages for Murphy & Casboult***

So
+ $1.24M 95-105% of Cap
+ $800k Martin reduction
= $2.04M + Kruezer (?$500k) + Simpson (?$500k)

Available Cap
$3.04M
- Williams $750k
- Saad $600k
=$1,690,000 Remaining

Some of this would have been eaten up by recent signings, but we have enough for an Oliver Big Fish signing
Amazing how SOS was so frugal but managed to spunk somewhere in the region of 4-500k on a perennially injured Kreuzer and Grandpa Simpson

Remarkable how outgoing players always have inflated contracts (even Darcy Lang is clearing contract space now, fu** me dead he'd be on the bare minimum and eaten up by 4 months of Jacob Weiterings extension), and players coming in are always front loaded to the year...

🤷🏼‍♂️ The ceo said there’s money for one more A grader. I frankly don’t give a flying fez how it gets done.

Amazing how SOS was so frugal but managed to spunk somewhere in the region of 4-500k on a perennially injured Kreuzer and Grandpa Simpson
I think being frugal with a salary cap with a minimum spend of 95% is not committing to unnecessary long contracts. I find the whole discussion silly though, we'll never know the answer and if the club says they have space then what's the problem? It's not like we have a lot of stars, why are people so concerned with the 11th placed club's cap?

Last edited:
There is a very simple answer to why clubs always seem to be able to fit in players when everyone thinks they would be way over the cap. The media reporting of salaries is almost always inflated and categorically wrong. It's also always reported very one dimensionally. They will get a figure that is usually 10% more than the player will earn at the peak of his contract and then times that by the length of his contract and call it.
There are much more complex answers as well. People often view contracts as fixed amounts. Player A gets 600 a year for the next 5 years, Player B 450 for 4 and so on.
This is a long way off the mark.
Very, very few players in the AFL are currently on fixed amounts, I'd suggest less than 10%.
Most players these days are on a base then have many factors written in that make up the total payment.
Contracts are also almost always weighted. A guy that signs as a 26 yr old usually has peak earning when the are 28-29, so whilst their contract peaks at 700 a year, it usually tapers by the time they reach 30.
This is one of the reasons why, even though they will have a large contract from Rance coming off the books, Richmond have very little cap space for next year.

Its also important to note that first and second year players have locked base contracts, with small incentives based on games played and draft position.
Carlton have 8 (~20%) of their list currently locked in to base contracts. They also have a full compliment of rookies.
Whilst it might surprise people to learn that players like Simpson, Kreuzer, Murphy and Mitch McGovern were/are paid so much, one of the reasons is Carlton simple didn't have anyone else to pay, and needed to make the 95% mark of the total salary.

None of this has anything to do with Clayton Oliver though, so I'm sorry to go off topic. Just thought I'd try to help clear up some common misconceptions.

For what its worth regarding Clayton, I think he's a dead set star.

There is a very simple answer to why clubs always seem to be able to fit in players when everyone thinks they would be way over the cap. The media reporting of salaries is almost always inflated and categorically wrong. It's also always reported very one dimensionally. They will get a figure that is usually 10% more than the player will earn at the peak of his contract and then times that by the length of his contract and call it.
There are much more complex answers as well. People often view contracts as fixed amounts. Player A gets 600 a year for the next 5 years, Player B 450 for 4 and so on.
This is a long way off the mark.
Very, very few players in the AFL are currently on fixed amounts, I'd suggest less than 10%.
Most players these days are on a base then have many factors written in that make up the total payment.
Contracts are also almost always weighted. A guy that signs as a 26 yr old usually has peak earning when the are 28-29, so whilst their contract peaks at 700 a year, it usually tapers by the time they reach 30.
This is one of the reasons why, even though they will have a large contract from Rance coming off the books, Richmond have very little cap space for next year.

Its also important to note that first and second year players have locked base contracts, with small incentives based on games played and draft position.
Carlton have 8 (~20%) of their list currently locked in to base contracts. They also have a full compliment of rookies.
Whilst it might surprise people to learn that players like Simpson, Kreuzer, Murphy and Mitch McGovern were/are paid so much, one of the reasons is Carlton simple didn't have anyone else to pay, and needed to make the 95% mark of the total salary.

None of this has anything to do with Clayton Oliver though, so I'm sorry to go off topic. Just thought I'd try to help clear up some common misconceptions.

For what its worth regarding Clayton, I think he's a dead set star.
43 laying down some knowledge.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back