Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But they didn’t win back to back. If they were so good why didn’t they win back to back?? Line by line and players names don’t matter. It’s system. Cats didn’t get it done as back to back champions. Unfortunately tigers have it over us.

What part of "not every football era is identically equal in terms of quality" and "not every flag is identically difficult to win" do you not understand? What part of that is so hard to comprehend? It's a basic concept that shouldn't need to be explained.

What part of "not every football era is identically equal in terms of quality" and "not every flag is identically difficult to win" do you not understand? What part of that is so hard to comprehend? It's a basic concept that shouldn't need to be explained.
So how can you say cats would smash tigers based on tour above criteria?

On another note - last night in my bay was some of the worst supporter behaviour I've ever seen. There was a group of Geelong supporters behind us who kept on continually screaming at the top of their voices at the Richmond players, i.e. "Oi Riewoldt! You're a (f)ing (c)!", "Lynch you (f)ing ********!" etc - to the point that they were told to shut up by their own supporters. Throw in referring to Houli once as a terrorist, and then berating the other Geelong supporters for not cheering and chanting when the game was clearly lost, then abusing the Geelong supporters who chose to leave before the final siren - absolute arseholes.

Seriously, I haven't seen that behaviour at the footy for a very long time, if ever. (I started going in the mid-90s).

Right, enough.
I've just made another coffee and it's time to get over the negativity. I'm wallowing in that disappointment and frustration of missing the opportunity, comparing players and teams, focusing on the negatives and the mistakes and I've had enough.

Time to look at some positives from last night.

Firstly that's great experience for our younger players, they know the stakes and what it takes to win a Flag and they now have that burn to right the ultimate wrong.

Secondly our young players were in general pretty good, Simpson and Miers definitely didn't wilt under the pressure of a Grand Final. They might not have gotten a heap of chances but when they did they didn't look nervous or apprehensive. They took the game on and seemed to do the right thing more often than not, Miers in particular with some of his passes by foot were fantastic. Good signs for the future when the top handful of players have moved on. I felt Henry was pretty good for the most part.

Thirdly we showed up. Yeah we got over worked and out run in the second half, yeah there were some signs of old habits but nobody can stand there and say we didn't come to play. That's been the biggest issue from the last few years where we simply don't turn up in finals and get blown away, that didn't happen once this finals series.

Fourth-ly? Menegola, Guthrie and Duncan (can't include Parfitt as he had no impact due to a pretty terrible injury) showed they are the core midfield for the next handful of years. None of those guys were embarrassed last night, you could say they may have faded in and out but I felt those 3 were in our top 4 on the night and Duncan our finals MVP which is a clear difference to the DangerwoodLett reliance of the last few years.

There are plenty of good signs for the next few years (aswell as some that suggest the opposite of course) that success isn't out of the question just yet.
We have some quality young players who can slot into that side and IMO make it better, and assuming some hard questions are asked about a few players they should get that chance.

The way I see Danger vs Dusty is peak Danger was a better player, but Dusty has had a better career.

Nothing wrong with either of those careers too.

Danger at his peak was a better and more dominate player, Dusty at his peak is the ultimate finisher.
Different players really, Danger is your "go and get it" player, whereas Martin is a "here, finish this" type.
They'd compliment each other amazingly well if they were in the same team at their peak.

Anybody know where I can get my hands on some Geelong Premiers 2020 gear before it gets burned in a bonfire? Then I can rewind to half time and live in make pretend land >.<. Honestly though, a great game to attend, some important chances not taken were telling and Martin was unstoppable and deserved his Norm Smith.

So grateful I got to see some much football this year including 7 regular season games the Semi, Prelim and Grand Final. This was my chance to get a taste of what Victorians experience on the regular. Has me considering an interstate move at some future point :p. I stuck around after the final siren until the Stadium closed, soaking it up, this may be my one and only chance to do so! I salute the greats of the game leaving and look forward to what the future holds for this club. Very grateful to support a club that is always there come finals time and who give me 3 or so hours of joy (more often than not) throughout the football season. Thank you Geelong Football Club and Thank you to the other Cats fans who i've ridden the wave of emotions with over the course of the season. GO CATS, bring on 2021!

Okay? Doesn't mean he was good. They had quite a few players who were worse than average. Grimes, Lynch, Rioli. Winning doesn't make their performances good.
It really highlights - despite the focus on their lack of great players - just how deep their 22 is.

So how can you say cats would smash tigers based on tour above criteria?

Er, because it's utterly obvious. Again, I'm really not sure why this needs explanation. They're better in literally every area and played in a significantly more difficult era with better standard of football and higher level of competition.

By your logic the Bulldogs 2016 side should be considered the equal of the Essendon 2000 side because they won one premiership each. But that's ridiculous, for obvious reasons, because the Essendon 2000 side would have annihilated the Bulldogs 2016 side and should be considered miles better than them. It's insulting to even raise that comparison like the two sides are even in the same ballpark as one another, just as it's insulting to compare this Richmond side to the Geelong 2007-11 side.

This is the biggest reason we didn't win more flags IMO. I'd argue our era was harder and against far better teams than any era 15 years either side of it.
We came up against some of the best teams of the last 30/40 years and had to beat them year after year to win flags.
Hawks didn't. Richmond haven't.
This was their hardest GF and that says a hell of a lot.

On another note - last night in my bay was some of the worst supporter behaviour I've ever seen. There was a group of Geelong supporters behind us who kept on continually screaming at the top of their voices at the Richmond players, i.e. "Oi Riewoldt! You're a (f)ing (c)!", "Lynch you (f)ing ********!" etc - to the point that they were told to shut up by their own supporters. Throw in referring to Houli once as a terrorist, and then berating the other Geelong supporters for not cheering and chanting when the game was clearly lost, then abusing the Geelong supporters who chose to leave before the final siren - absolute arseholes.

Seriously, I haven't seen that behaviour at the footy for a very long time, if ever. (I started going in the mid-90s).
probably Queenslanders that dressed up for the day. But all groups of supporters have them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

probably Queenslanders that dressed up for the day. But all groups of supporters have them.
Definitely a fervent Geelong supporter. Even knew about the Gary Rohan scandal

This current tigers team would’ve beaten cats 2007-11 probably 8/10 times. Game style very challenging. Just choke up the scoring.
Comparing teams from different eras is a bit stupid and pointless as we will never know.

But I will say that the Geelong team from 07-11 was the most dominant team I've ever seen over a long period of time. And they overcame ultra strong defensive teams as well.

This Richmond team hasn't dominated a season (2018 maybe but they failed that year) but they usually get it done when it matters.

All that matters is you are the best team in the last game for that particular year. Geelong did it 3 times in that era and now Richmond have done it 3 times.

Sounds like the Richmond fans I sat with at least years prelim.

Er, because it's utterly obvious. Again, I'm really not sure why this needs explanation. They're better in literally every area and played in a significantly more difficult era with better standard of football and higher level of competition.

By your logic the Bulldogs 2016 side should be considered the equal of the Essendon 2000 side because they won one premiership each. But that's ridiculous, for obvious reasons, because the Essendon 2000 side would have annihilated the Bulldogs 2016 side and should be considered miles better than them. It's insulting to even raise that comparison like the two sides are even in the same ballpark as one another, just as it's insulting to compare this Richmond side to the Geelong 2007-11 side.
not obvious based on your criteria. You dug a hole for yourself there. None of what you wrote can be justified based on your own criteria. Hypocrisy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back