Recommitted Clayton Oliver [re-signed until 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Or 3) Given all those players were contracted, and only one moved to another club, the issue is being blown way out of proportion by fans on BigFooty.

So, the same as my Option 2 then? Okay.

Well, there's so many quality players falling all over themselves to play for the Blues, but you don't manage to sign any of them. Wines, Papley, Shiel, Oliver, and several others...

Something's not adding up. At least Papley did nominate you.

Much tougher to get contracted A graders over the line unless you ridiculously overpay, though we’ve got two all but done already this off-season.

The last A grader you traded in cost you a King twin. The one before cost you two firsts and you turned him into a C grader. I hope we don’t go down that path of ridiculously overpaying.

Who know's, I didn't say anything about Oliver leaving...

SOS just said on Trade Radio that "Carlton have the money and ability to do the deal, if Melbourne are open to deal"..
All comes down to what Melbourne want to do..

But I can guarantee you.. Getting upset on a Bigfooty forum, because you have formed an opinion, will have no bearing on any trade..
Ha,ha,ha. "Ability to do the deal". Of course they've got the ability to do the deal. The problem is SOS, there is no deal on the table, because Melbourne aren't trading Oliver. Never thought SOS was too bright.

Blues have the trade capital and means to do the deal. All of it comes down to whether Dees open to talk and whether Austin is willing to pay the piper.

A player we don't need in Wines and a 30year old+ forward who is literally being thrown out the door at his current club, for one of the best young midfielders in the AFL.

That would be a steal. For that price you can have May, Pickett, Lever, Viney and our theme song as well.
Bit of an overreaction, but still entertaining. You'll hear much more outrageous offers than that in this thread.

Last edited:
I am going to regret this, but....

At the same point in their careers (48 matches), McKay has kicked more goals than Lynch had (71 vs 57) and taken similar # of contested marks (90 vs 88).

I CBF looking at any other stats, so Lynch might come out in front on other metrics. Or maybe not.

I was going to make the point that Lynch played in crappier teams, but amazingly Lynch played in more wins in his first 48 matches than McKay (15 vs 13). Which is a real indictment on how shizen Carlton has been in recent years.

McKay compares pretty favourably against Josh Kennedy, Charlie Dixon, Joe Daniher and Tom Hawkins at the same game tally. Now, McKay is 1-2 years older than some of those guys, so I admit perhaps that is an unfair comparison. Or perhaps it is balanced out by the fact that McKay has had an injury-interrupted career so far.

PLEASE NOTE: I am NOT saying McKay will end up as good as any of the players listed above. But at this point in their careers, they are reasonable comparisons.

He is NOT the 2nd coming of Buddy, Paul Salmon or Matthew Richardson. But, he is a young(ish) forward who has had a promising start to his career. He is very tall, is an excellent mark, is quick, good below his knees and has good goal sense (but shaky goal-kicking). He may not amount to much or he could end up a gun. Clubs love KPPs with potential. Right now, I think he would be one of the most valuable young KPPs in the league (trade-wise).
Yeah. And statistically at the same age Oliver is ahead of Chris Judd.

If Oliver can start hitting the scoreboard, which is an area he if improving on, he will be one of the modern day all time greats.

A deal for a contracted 23yo who has multiple bnf wins and an AA jacket is going to set a new trade benchmark.

Melbourne will have Brown, Weideman and Jackson in the one forward line next season. Not sure it’s McKay you’ll be after. Unless Jackson develops in the 2s and Weideman plays as a 3rd tall.
You’re assuming we get Ben Brown. I’d assume if we were losing Oliver and gaining McKay then we scrap the attempt to recruit Brown.

Or 3) Given all those players were contracted, and only one moved to another club, the issue is being blown way out of proportion by fans on BigFooty.

But wasn't it also claimed that Papley was absolutely furious with Sydney for blocking the trade.

So furious, in fact, that he's decided to stay there.

There's definitely a pattern appearing here

But wasn't it also claimed that Papley was absolutely furious with Sydney for blocking the trade.

Was it? Where?

Yeah he decided to stay. We put an offer to the player that he was happy with. We put an offer to the club that they were happy with on the proviso that another deal went through, which didn't.

I'm not sure what more we could have done, or how anyone could possibly see Carlton at fault on that front.

Indeed, but I'm not sure it's the one you've noticed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. And statistically at the same age Oliver is ahead of Chris Judd.
You could probably make that claim for a lot of midfielders.

The difference between most, if not all, other midfielders is that Judd could break open games and win them for the eagles.

Judd still is the only opposition player I would tune in to watch a home and away match when the Blues weren't involved.

With the contract of McDonald’s being a mute point at Melbourne,I have heard 3 times that Oliver and McDonald too Essendon if Dunkley falls through and the picks being discussed atm are 16 and 17 this years and exchanges of first next year.

No, you haven't.

I must have missed that - got a source for me?

i'm not allowed to quote 'itk' posts from team boards on this board. It's the guy who all the Carlton fans are claiming has the inside knowledge on Oliver wanting to play at Carlton next year, clearly full of it

With the contract of McDonald’s being a mute point at Melbourne,I have heard 3 times that Oliver and McDonald too Essendon if Dunkley falls through and the picks being discussed atm are 16 and 17 this years and exchanges of first next year.

How have you heard it if it's a mute point?

Yeah, i couldn't resist

i'm not allowed to quote 'itk' posts from team boards on this board. It's the guy who all the Carlton fans are claiming has the inside knowledge on Oliver wanting to play at Carlton next year, clearly full of it

Funny how some are quick to laugh of those types of posters, yet in the same breath use them as the basis for their viewpoint.

You said it had been suggested multiple times that Papley was furious with Sydney and when prompted you haven't given us anything of substance. Time to move on I think.

Carlton fans. Its dead simple. Go get us Josh Kelly or Whitfield with whatever players and/or picks you have and you can have Oliver.

I can understand him being frustrated that a trade didnt happen. Thats normal, hes asked for something and after sitting in limbo while Disco held up the trade he didnt get it.

Doesnt mean he stays mad and doesnt mean our ITK has any fresh info beyond that.

Similarly, Oliver apparently wants to be traded out. But has also been respectful of Melbourne and not been public about it. That doesnt strike me as someone hell bent on leaving. He may not want a trade next year.

People are fickle creatures and sometimes its better the devil you know than the one you don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back