List Mgmt. 2021 Team & Beyond...

Remove this Banner Ad

That Simpson and Clark cant make the best22 is not ideal but not easily solved. Sav neither so how does the second ruck work. The will be some casualties I feel of players who are used to being selected

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.27.49 am.png

That Simpson and Clark cant make the best22 is not ideal but not easily solved. Sav neither so how does the second ruck work. The will be some casualties I feel of players who are used to being selected

View attachment 1015812
I'm happy to see someone finally include O'Connor - seen a few in the media predict next year's team and O'Connor seems the first one left out with Tuohy returning to defence

To me Tuohy is an easy and pretty sensible one to use as a backup now.

He's been good in one position - attacking half back flanker. He's not getting picked there ahead of Stewart, nor O'Connor. Bews is locked in now, and that leaves the range of tall defenders we love having. Plus he's never been good at actually stopping forwards anyway.

So they've tried to make him a forward. Like a few things, we get away with it against rubbish. Against quality it's another story.
If him going out of the b22 keeps Jordy on the list I'm ask for it though is kind of at odds with the 2 year extension they gave him

What are you guys thoughts about the salary cap? You'd be sweating a bit I feel?
Desperately need some young talent in or you'll be in for a bad ride in the next 5-10 years.
You could not have made a more transparent troll account if you tried.

That said, not particularly concerned. We have very few contracted for 2023. Probably tight on cap next two years but anyone getting an extension would be getting their pay increases in 2023 where retirements mean we'd probably be more worried about the cap floor tbh

View attachment 1015812

Was pretty happy with this, except for Clark and Simpson, who I reckon could come in for Bews/Henry/Kolo/Tuohy, Rohan/Dahl in their respective roles.

Would say that the former two are both Best 22, and that the latter six are all needs based fringe 21st and 22nd players - that could easily be pushed out by a Kreuger, SDK, Cooper, Atkins, Rata, Close etc.

Posted my team earlier, but I just posted my team on the main board with brief descriptions of why I've chosen each player. Thought you guys might find it interesting :)

My personal Best 22 and their detailed roles explaining why I've chosen them and how they fit in (hopefully the coaches feel the same way too, haha):

B: O'Connor, Blicavs, Henry
HB: Stewart, Henderson, Clark
C: I. Smith, Guthrie, Menegola
FO: Stanley, Dangerfield, Parfitt
HF: S. Higgins, J. Cameron, Duncan
F: Miers, Hawkins, Dahlhaus
INT: Selwood, Simpson, Bews, Tuohy

EMG: Rohan, Kolodjashnij, Close, Ratugolea

Detailed Breakdown

Mark O'Connor: Lockdown Small Defender

Mark Blicavs: Key Defender/Intercept Mark with rebound capabilities/Back Up Ruck

Jack Henry: 3rd Tall Defender/3rd Man Up

Tom Stewart: Rebound Defender/Attacking Half-Back/Intercept Mark/3rd Man Up

Lachie Henderson: Key Defender/Centre Half-Back with Intercept Ability

Jordan Clark: Rebound Defender/Attacking Half-Back

Isaac Smith: Attacking Wingman

Cam Guthrie: Inside/Outside Attacking Mid

Sam Menegola: Defensive/Attacking Wingman

Rhys Stanley: 1st Ruck pushing forward

Patrick Dangerfield: Attacking Inside Mid pushing forward

Brandan Parfitt: Defensive Inside Mid

Shaun Higgins: Half Forward Elite Delivery Inside 50/Inside & Outside Mid

Jeremy Cameron: 2nd Key Forward roaming up the ground

Mitch Duncan: Half Forward Elite Delivery Inside 50/Inside & Outside Mid

Gryan Miers: Small Forward/Goalsneak with ability to roam up the ground

Tom Hawkins: 1st Key Forward stay at home/Ruck inside Forward 50

Luke Dahlhaus: Pressure Small Forward/Goalsneak

Joel Selwood: Rotating Inside Mid

Sam Simpson: Rotating Half Forward

Jed Bews: Rotating Attacking/Defensive Half-Back

Zach Tuohy: Rotating Utility
I like it but who is the rotating ruck? Stanley can't chase the contest for 100% game time and taking Blitz out the backline leaves a kpd sized gap especially with Kolo out

I think the time to play Blicavs solely at FB was from 2019 onwards when Sav was playing as CHF/2nd Ruck, it's all changed now.

You think they're gonna play Hawkins, Cameron, Stanley and Ratugolea in the same team? Cause that's the only way Blicavs isn't 2nd ruck.

Also isn't De Koning being groomed to play FB, so why wouldn't you keep Henderson there in the meantime.

Don't agree with Dangerfield not playing predominantly in the midfield, especially with Selwood coming to the end.
I agree they don't want to play Sav/Hawk/Cameron in the same fwd line but I don't see much other choice given our kpd options aren't quite ready

Not that hard imo. Come in for Tuohy and Kolo.

Id put clark in for kolo or henry (either)and id put simpson in for tuohy or rohan.
Obviously miers is bottom 6 but his endurance running is important to our gameplan.

The interesting issue will be what we do with the 2nd ruck spot and how many talls we want in the side.

I like it but who is the rotating ruck? Stanley can't chase the contest for 100% game time and taking Blitz out the backline leaves a kpd sized gap especially with Kolo out

That will be the debate whether we carry the 3rd tall up front so sav can 2nd ruck or whether we have blitz pinch hit from the backline. Depends how much forward pressure we want plus backline structure.

Given the outs are Taylor and Ablett it makes sense that Blic covers FB, Higgins covers Ablett's HF role. Cameron CHF. Rohan out- needs to prove he is worthy.
Sav also comes in to assist in ruck duties and he and Stanley alternate on the bench. Traditional.

Kolo. Blic. Bews
Stewart. Hendo. MOC.
Menegola. Selwood. Duncan
Higgins. Cameron. Danger
Miers. Hawkins. Simpson
Stanley. Guthrie. Parfitt
i/c. Sav. Tuohy. Henry. Smith
emerg. Clark. Rohan. Dahlhaus

B: Oconnor, Blicavs, kolo
HB: Bews, Henderson, Stewart
C: Duncan, Guthrie, Menegola
HF: Higgins, Cameron, Ratagolea
FF: Parfitt, Hawkins, Miers
R: Stanley, Selwood, Dangerfield
IB: Smith, Simpson, Tuohy, Henry

first in. Narkle, Krueger, Clark, Rohan, Atkins, Dahlhaus,

Given the outs are Taylor and Ablett it makes sense that Blic covers FB, Higgins covers Ablett's HF role. Cameron CHF. Rohan out- needs to prove he is worthy.
Sav also comes in to assist in ruck duties and he and Stanley alternate on the bench. Traditional.

Kolo. Blic. Bews
Stewart. Hendo. MOC.
Menegola. Selwood. Duncan
Higgins. Cameron. Danger
Miers. Hawkins. Simpson
Stanley. Guthrie. Parfitt
i/c. Sav. Tuohy. Henry. Smith
emerg. Clark. Rohan. Dahlhaus

Id like one of rohan or dahl for forward pressure if we are playing 3 tall forwards. One of tuohy kolo or henry out we dont need 8 defenders if blitz isnt rucking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Competition for spots is good.
In a way yes, in a way no. Every business capitalist exposes the idealism of competition yet historically men like Carnegie, Rockefeller, Gould, JPMorgan etc. didn't get to be mega moguls by competing with others they dominated and obliterated opposition till the monopolised their positions
Draft and develop is under valued how players grow together. Too much comp and it doesn't allow one to become dominant.

I look at MOC , and honestly our backline is looking very lacklustre compared to our mids and forwards now. Is MOC really skilled enough to hold out mid over flow.?

Id like one of rohan or dahl for forward pressure if we are playing 3 tall forwards. One of tuohy kolo or henry out we dont need 8 defenders if blitz isnt rucking.
3 tall forwards?
Miers and SS forward pressure
Tuohy is no longer a defender.
And we need versatility off the bench- Henry, Tuohy, Smith.

Wonder if we get to see Atkins play seniors again.

Last edited:
In a way yes, in a way no. Every business capitalist exposes the idealism of competition yet historically men like Carnegie, Rockefeller, Gould, JPMorgan etc. didn't get to be mega moguls by competing with others they dominated and obliterated opposition till the monopolised their positions
Draft and develop is under valued how players grow together. Too much comp and it doesn't allow one to become dominant.

I look at MOC , and honestly our backline is looking very lacklustre compared to our mids and forwards now. Is MOC really skilled enough to hold out mid over flow.?

Our defence clearly lacks quality wrt to disposal by foot. Rather than the "misfits", a more more apt description would be the "misskicks".

Stewart is our quarterback and was more or less the only bona fide option we had in 2020 when it came to rebounding out of defence. When he gets shut down, like he was after half time in the grand final, it's more often than not, all over red rover.

This is a recruiting issue. Unfortunately we tend to draft players that just aren't particularly good at kicking.

Competition for spots is good.
From our GF side, I would not be appalled if Rohan and Dahl miss out, even though I rate Rohan when he is fit, but he really is a poor barometer.
SS and Miers could cover Dahl.
Clark needs to be pushing his way in as well.

Our defence clearly lacks quality wrt to disposal by foot. Rather than the "misfits", a more more apt description would be the "misskicks".

Stewart is our quarterback and was more or less the only bona fide option we had in 2020 when it came to rebounding out of defence. When he gets shut down, like he was after half time in the grand final, it's more often than not, all over red rover.

This is a recruiting issue. Unfortunately we tend to draft players that just aren't particularly good at kicking.
True that. Tuohy is a good kick, but a poor defender.
Why not Duncan become our Hodge?
Mackie is tough to replace, as is J Hunt, and Wojo, and Boris. Some might say Wojo was not a great kick, but he certainly improved and his metres gained was superb.
Exactly why I think we did so well to even make a GF, let alone be 15 points up at half time.

3 tall forwards?
Miers and SS forward pressure
Tuohy is no longer a defender.

Cameron hawk and sav.
Simpson is more a mid than a pressure forward. I want him in but in the former role.
Cameron hawk and higgins are F50 locks so if you are also putting sav in there i think balance means the last couple of spots should be pressure forwards ie dahl/rohan/miers/close/atkins etc.
I think tuohy is best 22 on talent but im not sure where he fits structurally.

Cameron hawk and sav.
Simpson is more a mid than a pressure forward. I want him in but in the former role.
Cameron hawk and higgins are F50 locks so if you are also putting sav in there i think balance means the last couple of spots should be pressure forwards ie dahl/rohan/miers/close/atkins etc.
I think tuohy is best 22 on talent but im not sure where he fits structurally.
Sav is rucking with Stanley, on and off the bench.
I could see SS play as a small pressure forward.

True that. Tuohy is a good kick, but a poor defender.
Why not Duncan become our Hodge?
Mackie is tough to replace, as is J Hunt, and Wojo, and Boris. Some might say Wojo was not a great kick, but he certainly improved and his metres gained was superb.
Exactly why I think we did so well to even make a GF, let alone be 15 points up at half time.

Duncan isn't great aerially so that's going to be an issue. He's arguably our best kick and a great decision maker so I'd prefer him hitting up our forwards from a wing etc. Should be good to watch.

I'm not sure where the premise that Tuohy is a poor defender comes from. He's tough and disciplined, doesn't lose his feet, is strong aerially for a mid-size player, has a turn of speed, and has excellent disposal by foot.

Defenders will be afforded an extra 5m next year on kickins. Tuohy can hit targets from 50m and is clearly one of our best options for this critical role in 2021.

Sav is rucking with Stanley, on and off the bench.
I could see SS play as a small pressure forward.
Even though he's a midfielder?

We already have 2 pressure forwards in Rohan and Dahlhaus with Rohan in particular being of extra value because he can mark overhead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back