List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what North’s thinking is regarding McDonald vs Hollands. It seems odd them bringing in McDonald after kicking out Brown, like why get rid of him if you need a KPF.

Different types of KPF

I don't get this thinking, this then must apply to every bid that gets matched not just number 1. Are the draftees so insecure they cannot handle not being the first choice of a club...the whole draft is filled with players who are not the clubs first choice so why is it an issue at the first pick. If the 10k is a reason, then you are picking a player who is not so confident in their own ability to generate plenty more than that in years to come. Make no mistake, between themselves the boys know who the number 1 pick is.

This comes up so often it is simply ridiculous to have as a reason Adelaide would not pick JUH. They should definitely pick him as you never know, there just might be a reason the Dogs cant match the bid, very unlikely of course, however, they will be derelict in their duty to the footy club if they do not select the clear number 1 pick first. Put it on the Dogs to match, then go for Tilthorpe or McDonald or whoever....
I agree. Club needs to pick the best player for them. And from all the hype, JUH would be the best player for any club in this year's draft.

They make it sound like it was a mutual decision to part ways, and Taylor wanted it just as much as the Swans. In reality we wanted him gone and basically fired him. Not that I am not pleased we fired him, but the business talk about collective view and the business talk associated with that is weird.

I genuinely believe the club was prepared to stick by him if he received a non custodial sentence and he could prove to the club that he wanted to change his ways.

You can read into a press release plenty of ways, but I see it as Elijah just wasn’t prepared to come back and win the respect of his teammates so we mutually agreed to part ways.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I genuinely believe the club was prepared to stick by him if he received a non custodial sentence and he could prove to the club that he wanted to change his ways.

You can read into a press release plenty of ways, but I see it as Elijah just wasn’t prepared to come back and win the respect of his teammates so we mutually agreed to part ways.

Had a similar experience many years ago. We were prepared to support someone who "dun wrong" if he would commit to counselling and work where there were no women. He would not commit to counselling. Bye bye!

I'd have been pretty unhappy if we kept Taylor, regardless of the sentence. Should have zero tolerance. He's entitled to earn a living, but it's up to employers if they want people like him to represent them publically. Might be pretty poor for the victim and others in similar circumstances to see him continue on and shown on tv etc. As someone else said, there's quite rightly a sponsor factor too.

Tom Langdon retiring today as well at 26 due to a debilitating knee injury.

Dodged an absolute bullet there.

We currently have 33 on the senior list.
If we take 3 in the draft we will have the minimum of 36 seniors. We currently have 5 rookies for a total of 41. We can have three more players, 2 more rookies maximum.
Hope my arithmetic is right!!!
For those 3 places I would take:
Paddy McCartin as a DFA and rookie him.
Take Neale or similar and rookie him.
Or rookie some others.
Leave one senior space unfilled.

Attachments

• Picture33.jpg
    Picture33.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 64
More to being a ruck than tapwork

Yeah................like landing at a team with one of the best players to ever play the game that has handed each of those premiership players at Richmond a premiership or 3, all because he can turn games on their head.

Nankervis is a good ordinary ruckman, as old Jack Dyer used to say, that is capable at the contest which is what's expected from any ruckman.

Right time, right club, right midfielder alongside him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Langdon retiring today as well at 26 due to a debilitating knee injury.

Dodged an absolute bullet there.

Him and Daniher...imagine both of them! Diabolical disasters

I don't beleive this for a second. The club simply wiped their hands clean of him. And with a few political play comments about rehab etc in the hopes that no one would notice that they are taking no responsibilty over him what so ever. You can't just assume the club believed he had no remorse or didn't want to put his head down. Would be hard to beleive, especially when his career and life depends on it. Poor form from the club imo.

Had a similar experience many years ago. We were prepared to support someone who "dun wrong" if he would commit to counselling and work where there were no women. He would not commit to counselling. Bye bye!
Will be interesting to see the factual evidence of Taylor showing no remorse and rejecting any counselling.
I'd have been pretty unhappy if we kept Taylor, regardless of the sentence. Should have zero tolerance. He's entitled to earn a living, but it's up to employers if they want people like him to represent them publically. Might be pretty poor for the victim and others in similar circumstances to see him continue on and shown on tv etc. As someone else said, there's quite rightly a sponsor factor too.
The AFL is very different to any other work force. Clubs draft these kids with the knowledge they are pulling the kid away from schooling uni etc. On-top of that they are introduced into a work force where the way their personal life reflects on the club, matters, and want them to be a good example for the club inside and outside of work. If a workplace expects the above, then they are also accepting the fact that they need to take responsibility for their development, and persist with it. He's 19ffs, not 29. The club need to put the rubbish talk out the way and say that Taylor had no remorse and was not prepared to develop himself, or they need to just admit they wiped their hands clean.

I don't beleive this for a second. The club simply wiped their hands clean of him. And with a few political play comments about rehab etc in the hopes that no one would notice that they are taking no responsibilty over him what so ever. You can't just assume the club believed he had no remorse or didn't want to put his head down. Would be hard to beleive, especially when his career and life depends on it. Poor form from the club imo.
I just don't think this is the case. There are obviously two sides to every story. ET did not stuff up once. He did it twice or more. He was a recidovist. He has ingrained behviourable issues that affect himself and Sydney. He has issues that the Swans cannot expect to deal with in public over a long period of time. There are lots of implications for Sydney. There are also difficult decisions for ET and things he needs to deal with. Playing this out in public does nothing for either side. I expect Sydney will provide funding for ET to get help. Sydney does not need to be "dragged through the mud".

I have no idea how you reached the conclusion that our handling of the Elijah Taylor incident was poor form.

From the perspective of us being a 'club' (ie a group of humans, friends, mates, brothers in arms, a footy family, whatever you wanna call it), it would've made no sense to stick by him. I'd read somewhere that some of the Swans boys had unfollowed him basically straight after news of his arrest broke, among them I believe were captains JPK & Parker. If the blokes he's sharing a locker-room and a footy field with find his actions irredeemable - which they absolutely are - then the administration at our club, who would have little-to-no interactions with him on a day-to-day basis have no obligation to try and repair that relationship.

And from the perspective of us being an 'organisation' (ie a professional corporation with people's livelihoods on the line depending on the success and functioning of said organisation), it would've made even less sense to stick by him. We have sponsors and fans and community initiatives that we rely on to sustain our place in the industry. To be seen as the business that continued to pay someone who has pled guilty to assault a six-figure salary would be terrible optics. But even from a moral perspective, we have thousands of fans who would be young children, boys especially, who need to see examples being set, such as the club they follow show there is ZERO place for violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back