List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a ruck, they take time. Take the best we can get and hope they develop
I am not sure, if the pool is not strong, no need to get the best of a weak bunch. I reckon we are better off holding on to next year and pick a stronger player in another position.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Neale could also more than handily play as a key forward while learning his craft pinch-hitting in the ruck. Maybe an 80/20 forward/ruck split and then evening that number up with each year he gets bigger and stronger.

That's IF we want him in the 22. If we're content to play the long game, let him spend a few seasons as main ruck in the VFL.
Looking at what I believe will be the VEAFL(?) team next year I can see Sinclair, Amartey, McLean and Neale (say) all in that team with Hickey and Reid doing the seniors. I would have Sinclair and Neale splitting ruck and FF, McLean at CHF and Amartey at CHB. Bloody tall spine!
Of course injuries will punch holes in that but I think there's a good development pathway there.

Thilthorpe is the impression I get with him

Could be totally wrong though like I have before
ahh I see what you are saying. Tilthorpe is no for me, no way would I draft a rookie with known groin issues. Don't care how good he is I wouldn't do it. If his body is an issue now, it will always be the case.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I am not sure, if the pool is not strong, no need to get the best of a weak bunch. I reckon we are better off holding on to next year and pick a stronger player in another position.
Absolutely, my understanding is there's only 2-3 rucks worth taking this year. Neale is the best, the others would warrant a rookie spot. If it's not one 1 of those 3 I'd not take a ruck at all

Adelaide haven't said anything but a fair few writers have offered that opinion. Also see Thilthorpe getting publicity in AFL.com.au today as a potential #1 pick.

I hope they pick Thilhorpe might mean McDonald slips

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't get this thinking, this then must apply to every bid that gets matched not just number 1. Are the draftees so insecure they cannot handle not being the first choice of a club...the whole draft is filled with players who are not the clubs first choice so why is it an issue at the first pick. If the 10k is a reason, then you are picking a player who is not so confident in their own ability to generate plenty more than that in years to come. Make no mistake, between themselves the boys know who the number 1 pick is.

This comes up so often it is simply ridiculous to have as a reason Adelaide would not pick JUH. They should definitely pick him as you never know, there just might be a reason the Dogs cant match the bid, very unlikely of course, however, they will be derelict in their duty to the footy club if they do not select the clear number 1 pick first. Put it on the Dogs to match, then go for Tilthorpe or McDonald or whoever....
It's more selling it to supporters + benefits of being a number one draft pick (think there's a grant for the club + promotion). Just always want your first choice to believe he was the first choice

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
I wouldn't give up our 2021 first outright I don't think. Not for Bruhn at least; how do you do that for a guy that's played 3 games in two years with injury concerns? If Gulden goes round 2 and incurs a deficit we will need our second or trade-in another second by draft next year (iirc). And if he goes in the first...we'll need that first. I think it's unlikely we move on next years first entirely.

North is an interesting one, they may want to transition from Cunnington/Ziebell and give LDU/Simpkin a young leader more than grabbing Thilthorpe/Mc. Thilthorpe is similar to Goldstein, Xerri and Comben; so I can see them liking Philips, hence the trade down talk. They might also believe the DGB hype and end up taking him.

Farkin hell 10 more days

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
This is why you draft the ruck now. So we don't end in the exact same situation where we are now:
-Unable to find a ruck who wants to come to Sydney
-Overpay for a stop gap

Who was the last ruckman we've been succesful in drafting and developing ourselves?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any chance at all you wouldn't match a bid at pick 2 for Campbell? I reckon he's the second best player in the draft
Who knows? I dont see him as second best in this draft. It would be an interesting situation, particularly if a McDonald then becomes an option for us. The Crows would be playing with fire a little bit if they selected him. I think if Norf selected him it would then make for very interesting viewing depending on who is still up.

Might be a case of the Swans waiting two years and finally getting a benefit from the go home factor!!

Who knows? I dont see him as second best in this draft. It would be an interesting situation, particularly if a McDonald then becomes an option for us. The Crows would be playing with fire a little bit if they selected him. I think if Norf selected him it would then make for very interesting viewing depending on who is still up.

Might be a case of the Swans waiting two years and finally getting a benefit from the go home factor!!
I think we'd only bid if we thought he was best available, and there was a chance of getting him. But that might be a chance. Best talent after JUH.

Maybe you can get Thilthorpe and we'll swap when they're both homesick...

It's more selling it to supporters + benefits of being a number one draft pick (think there's a grant for the club + promotion). Just always want your first choice to believe he was the first choice

Yep, and I still don't get that thinking, to me that is short term and conceding. IMO you need to take the best available and I reckon that is a strong bloody message for your supporter base. It is saying "He is the best, we don't care about the Bulldogs having dibs, we want him and we will bid and let them make the decision. We are picking the best available at every pick, no one is dictating to us who we should and shouldn't pick." There is no way Tilthorpe>JUH. Macdonald might be some kind of argument but I still think JUH trumps everyone on what is being presented right now.

If Adelaide want to stand for something, this is a fantastic opportunity to do it.

I think we'd only bid if we thought he was best available, and there was a chance of getting him. But that might be a chance. Best talent after JUH.

Maybe you can get Thilthorpe and we'll swap when they're both homesick...
lol maybe, although I wouldn't be touching Tilthorpe with his history. MacDonald for mine if you miss JUH.

lol maybe, although I wouldn't be touching Tilthorpe with his history. MacDonald for mine if you miss JUH.
I think North would take McDonald. Though, a lot of talk about Hollands being their target.

You'll get a good player at 3 anyway!

I think North would take McDonald. Though, a lot of talk about Hollands being their target.

You'll get a good player at 3 anyway!
True

Is there any chance at all you wouldn't match a bid at pick 2 for Campbell? I reckon he's the second best player in the draft

That's an unpopular opinion around here. You realise you're on the 'Campbell's done nothing except star on grand final day and steal all of Errol's hype' thread, don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back