Coaching and off-field staff thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't believe the club has sacked Danny Daly from his head of strategy role.

Zero respect shown for a loyal servant of the Lions.

All you backslappers will say that this was a mutual agreement between the two parties, but it was all the clubs doing. Killing the culture.

Don't be surprised if we have a mass exodus & a heap of players leave & follow Danny to whichever club he works at next.

Can't believe the club has sacked Danny Daly from his head of strategy role.

Zero respect shown for a loyal servant of the Lions.

All you backslappers will say that this was a mutual agreement between the two parties, but it was all the clubs doing. Killing the culture.

Don't be surprised if we have a mass exodus & a heap of players leave & follow Danny to whichever club he works at next.
Yet he’s probably earning an extra 100k minimum per year.
Some demotion!

I hope if there is any good strategy coaches out there they will apply. I think a new coach to the group would be a good thing.

I hope if there is any good strategy coaches out there they will apply. I think a new coach to the group would be a good thing.
Probably promote someone like Davis and bring someone back they outposted to the Academy. Nice if our forward coach can replace Davis as the backline coach where he belongs imo.

With the reduction in the soft cap, it is probably an opportunity to save an existing staff member’s job if everyone just shuffles up one spot and the vacancy is left at the bottom of the pecking order.

Absolutely, Dom Ambrogio has no idea right?

Who's that other dimwit at Collingwood their supporters all rate so highly, Dekka or something like that?

Nothing comes even close to what Dom Ambrogio pulled off with Jarryd Lyons. A totally audacious move which no one saw coming. Collingwood would kill for someone like him.

Really pleased for DD and his appointment as Footy GM. The Lions media release suggested that there were other internal applicants as well. I wonder who they were and who were the externals we sounded out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a great appointment provided we don't lose DD match day input. I hope and expect he will sit in the box like Noble did. I always was under the impression DD was the main man in the box so will be interesting to see who steps us now.
Why do you think Danny wont have the same input as he did in the box on game day? Most times Noble & Danny were side by side in the box working together.

Why do you think Danny wont have the same input as he did in the box on game day? Most times Noble & Danny were side by side in the box working together.
So effectively, we're one down in the coaches box with Noble's departure?

Whilst I'm disappointed the club couldn't accommodate the retention of Noble, primarily that Swann didn't stand aside, I'm also disappointed that Noble has now effectively left us a man down without a suitable replacement at this stage of planning for 2021.

Whilst I'm disappointed the club couldn't accommodate the retention of Noble, primarily that Swann didn't stand aside, I'm also disappointed that Noble has now effectively left us a man down without a suitable replacement at this stage of planning for 2021.
Interesting how you look at it Dylan. Questions that come to my mind are:

a) Why would Swanny step down from a job he loves, is good at, and is well paid for?
b) Why has Noble leaving left us a man down?
c) If Noble wants to leave and challenge himself as a coach, why should the club try to stop him?
d) Why is this change in management any different to business is other industries?
e) Why do you have such little faith in the club not to manage this change in a professional & appropriate way?
f) Why do you think Noble is the success factor and now he's gone things will fall apart?

I wouldn't think so, somebody will step up and take the spot vacated by Noble if that is the formula Fagan wants to go with again in 2021.

IMO Noble didn't want to stay, he was exited with the opportunity to coach more than any CEO role, people move on in their careers all the time, the only people who show life long loyalty to footy clubs are supporters...... coaches, admin staff, players always move on at some stage.

Questions that come to my mind are:

Responses below:

a) Why would Swanny step down from a job he loves, is good at, and is well paid for? I think he is overrated and is only staying in the role until 'The Reserve' is finished so he can point to some kind of 'legacy' a lot like Demetriou did with the introduction of Gold Coast and GWS and Gil with AFLW.

Leaders often stay beyond their tenure and often want to leave a 'legacy', even if it is only in their eyes.

In addition, I think Swann is the type that is more about him than the club even if it meant stepping aside and letting Noble taking the reigns. If he did, I doubt Noble is North.

b) Why has Noble leaving left us a man down? He sat in the box and Fagan often referenced his assistance and I haven't seen any announcements about a replacement.

c) If Noble wants to leave and challenge himself as a coach, why should the club try to stop him
He said only weeks before he was appointed coach at North than he saw himself as a Footy Administrator and had refuted ever wanting to coach on countless occasions. Perhaps he knew Swann was never going to leave so he started having second thoughts, which is a shame given Noble himself said he wanted to stay in Queensland long term as he was renovating / building a big house in Mt Tambourine and would be close to the Reserve.

d) Why is this change in management any different to business is other industries? Its not.

e) Why do you have such little faith in the club not to manage this change in a professional & appropriate way? Couple of reasons:

1. Because Noble was the standout between him, Fagan and Swann. Hell if Noble wanted to coach so badly, I don't know why a succession plan over the coming years wasn't put in place with Fagan, who will be gone in a year or two. The stats support that it is rare for coaches that haven't won a flag in the first 5 years of their tenure not to get one, so I don't support the need to keep on Fagan if he can't get one in 21 or 22. Noble would've been great replacement if that's what he wanted and would've been a seamless transition at the club.

2. Look how the club has handled things in the past from the likes of Gubby Allan to Voss's departure to the Paddlepop Lion are a few examples.

f) Why do you think Noble is the success factor and now he's gone things will fall apart? See above.

With the reduction in the soft cap, it is probably an opportunity to save an existing staff member’s job if everyone just shuffles up one spot and the vacancy is left at the bottom of the pecking order.

Whilst true I do hope they still do their due diligence on outside opportunities , there never will be a year like this when so many ex-coaching staff from other clubs are there for the taking.

Last edited:
Fantastic appointment for Danny Daly
Surely the Lions are looking at Dean Solomon great technical coach as an assistant coach

With the big reduction in the footy dept cap next year the staff who are retained are going to be wearing two hats. I am sure Daly will be one of them. Also the guys who were shuffled off to the academy I am expecting to see around training and probably the reserves.

Responses below:

a) Why would Swanny step down from a job he loves, is good at, and is well paid for? I think he is overrated and is only staying in the role until 'The Reserve' is finished so he can point to some kind of 'legacy' a lot like Demetriou did with the introduction of Gold Coast and GWS and Gil with AFLW.

Leaders often stay beyond their tenure and often want to leave a 'legacy', even if it is only in their eyes.

In addition, I think Swann is the type that is more about him than the club even if it meant stepping aside and letting Noble taking the reigns. If he did, I doubt Noble is North.

b) Why has Noble leaving left us a man down? He sat in the box and Fagan often referenced his assistance and I haven't seen any announcements about a replacement.

c) If Noble wants to leave and challenge himself as a coach, why should the club try to stop him
He said only weeks before he was appointed coach at North than he saw himself as a Footy Administrator and had refuted ever wanting to coach on countless occasions. Perhaps he knew Swann was never going to leave so he started having second thoughts, which is a shame given Noble himself said he wanted to stay in Queensland long term as he was renovating / building a big house in Mt Tambourine and would be close to the Reserve.

d) Why is this change in management any different to business is other industries? Its not.

e) Why do you have such little faith in the club not to manage this change in a professional & appropriate way? Couple of reasons:

1. Because Noble was the standout between him, Fagan and Swann. Hell if Noble wanted to coach so badly, I don't know why a succession plan over the coming years wasn't put in place with Fagan, who will be gone in a year or two. The stats support that it is rare for coaches that haven't won a flag in the first 5 years of their tenure not to get one, so I don't support the need to keep on Fagan if he can't get one in 21 or 22. Noble would've been great replacement if that's what he wanted and would've been a seamless transition at the club.

2. Look how the club has handled things in the past from the likes of Gubby Allan to Voss's departure to the Paddlepop Lion are a few examples.

f) Why do you think Noble is the success factor and now he's gone things will fall apart? See above.
lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back